Wireless Nic Card

Sharky Forums

Thread: Wireless Nic Card

Sushi

Wireless Nic Card

What brand of card should I get to connect with my next door neighbor. Should I consider a extended range card? This is going into my desktop computer. My sister-in-law had her notebook with a wireless nic and had no problem connecting with my neighbor. I would like some imput concernig this as this is new to me.

Depends on what kind of equip they have, I would ask the neighbor for suggestions.
    Last edited by Cloned; 10-11-2005 at 03:56 PM.

It's hard to say with so little information. Distance plays a huge factor, as does the number of walls between endpoints, their angles, their building materials, interference, other obstructions, etc.

If signal strength isn't a factor, you should only have to match the wireless type their equipment is using. If their wireless gear is 802.11g, yours should also be 802.11g.

One last comment just to make sure we address the legal technicalities... In most places (the entire U.S. as far as I'm aware), it's illegal to connect to the Internet through your neighbor's residential broadband connection because it would almost certainly violate the terms of the ISP's service contract. From their perspective, it would be the same thing as splicing your neighbor's TV cable and running a line to your home.