Join multiple midi files

Sharky Forums

Thread: Join multiple midi files

Sushi

Join multiple midi files

Is there a way to join multiple midi files into one large midi file? I want to play back a collection of Christmas midi's on my Yamaha Digital Piano continuously without having to start each one by itself.

You can do it using any MIDI sequencer program, but it'll take some knowledge of music theory and MIDI.

To explain it as simply as possible, what you're looking to do is sort of like the music equivalent of combining the text from two documents. You'd need to basically copy content from one file and append it to the end of the other.

But of course it can't be quite that simple... MIDI files often have tracks for multiple instruments, and chances are the instrumentation would change from each of your MIDI files to the next. To work around this, you could change the MIDI instrument voice on each track at the point where you spliced MIDI files. Or you could add new staves to your MIDI file to accommodate instrument changes, pasting content onto specific instruments.

If you don't have a MIDI sequencer program, Jazz++ is a free one you can download. (I use other programs, so unfortunately I can't offer any specific help on Jazz++.)

another option is playlists. lot of programs Itunes/WMP etc allow you to make playlists from midi files. then just let it play through the whole list.
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Athlon 64 3000+ venice @ 2250Mhz
    Asus X800Pro Vivo 545/610 16 pipes
    Geil Value Ram 512x2 2.5 3 3 6
    3DMark05 score 6561
    aspire x-infinity case with the crap PSU it came with 420w
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1242837

A playlist will be much easier than physically concatonating the files. Each song may have different instrument definitions, which will lead to either an overly complex midi, or else having the wrong instruments used in some songs.

Open Source is free like a puppy is free.

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Understanding Evolution

Audacity is really good, but I dont work with MIDIs so I dont know how well it does with them. It lets you cut and paste stuff easily enough.
    ||Intel Dual-Core 1.8 GHz||GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3||EVGA GeForce 8600GTS||
    ||G.SKILL 2GB||Seagate Barracuda 250GB||PHILIPS 20X DVD±R||COOLER MASTER Centurion 5||

||A64 3000+||Chaintech SK8T800|Radeon 9800 Pro||
    ||1 gig PC2700||WD 80gig 7200||BenQ 1620 16x4x40x24||XDreamer II||

Audacity doesn't do MIDI. Audacity's great for working with recorded sound, but MIDI is an entirely different creature. A MIDI file doesn't contain sounds, but rather information telling your computer (or a MIDI device) how to play a piece of music: which notes to play on what instruments, for how long, and how loud. In a nutshell, MIDI files are like electronic sheet music.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog
    Audacity doesn't do MIDI. Audacity's great for working with recorded sound, but MIDI is an entirely different creature. A MIDI file doesn't contain sounds, but rather information telling your computer (or a MIDI device) how to play a piece of music: which notes to play on what instruments, for how long, and how loud. In a nutshell, MIDI files are like electronic sheet music.
    Ah, good to know. Hence the small file size I suppose
    ||Intel Dual-Core 1.8 GHz||GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3||EVGA GeForce 8600GTS||
    ||G.SKILL 2GB||Seagate Barracuda 250GB||PHILIPS 20X DVD±R||COOLER MASTER Centurion 5||

||A64 3000+||Chaintech SK8T800|Radeon 9800 Pro||
    ||1 gig PC2700||WD 80gig 7200||BenQ 1620 16x4x40x24||XDreamer II||

cakewalk or qbase if you want to spend the money... of course some people dont spend the money...
    Batou's evil twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    im a homosexual but i disliike obama for his non-*** policies
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Why don't you go pick up a case of AIDS.

...or Finale, Sibelius, or Encore if your primary goal is notation, with MIDI playback quality of lesser importance.

BozoKiller
    pretty amazing - the depth of knowledge here folks

anyway;
    to the OP - way back in the early 90's i used an Alesis(?) 8 track MIDI sequencer to trigger our DX-7 and other rack mounted modules -- you could Quantize, Transpose, and edit (combine/add) to your hearts delight - i'm sure sequencers have come a long way since...so if you plan on ever doing anything else with that yamaha, an external device may be the best (or better) option.

otherwise, go get yourself a Macintosh
    Last edited by I4one; 10-21-2005 at 02:31 AM.
    Delete the Electoral College - Support
    www.NationalPopularVote.com

"The world according to DRM Bozos"

I am a consumer, I'll buy anything
    I am a sheep, I am cattle, I follow the herd
    I am ignorant, a dumbass, and I am a bozo...
    I am the epitome of the 'rank and file'
    I am your next door neighbor
    I am 95% of American Consumers
    I will consume you

• If the light in your head hasn't come on yet,
      I suggest you go get a new bulb!

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    This program is 100% free and can use midi files:

http://www.anvilstudio.com/

You also have fruity loops as a cheap program you can buy, they do have a version that sells for 49 bucks.
    Last edited by richardginn; 10-21-2005 at 09:10 AM.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....