UT2k4 bot skill

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UT2k4 bot skill

UT2k4 bot skill

in a 15min game deathmatch on DM-Antalus. At what level should I be able to beat the bots to be considered "decent"?

I just played a 5min match on "experienced" and won 3:0

reason I am asking is I signed up at ggl.com and already got my first challenge
    so I just want to know how to "train" ... I know that remembering the map is a key ...

and never stop moving and the way to fire diff weapons and etc. ...

I am not very experienced at ut2k4 dynamics ... more of a CS/DOD type person ...
    Activation? What activation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekkit (from ubuntu forums regarding 'goto' statement)
    Yep it sure does. So does crack cocaine. Existence is not a valid endorsement for being acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it

well.. bots are more predictable. So it is really hard to tell.

They won't run for "good" weapons sometimes

Learn to time the keg of health and armor upgrades, this is the key to victory!

Learux
    GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, AMD Phenom ll 955,
    Lian Li PC-60 PLUS, HD5850
    ----------------
    Resist the devil, and he will flee from you!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!

2kr1b1r/Bpp3pp/1N2p1n1/4p1q1/4P3/2Q5/PPP2PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 6 15

Quote Originally Posted by Learux
    Learn to time the keg of health and armor upgrades, this is the key to victory!

Learux
    All excellent points. The best way to learn the game is to play in public servers and spectate the best players. Do what they do.

I play up to 'Skilled' level, and I don't consider myself up to a real challenge - esp agsinst some of the Sharks here. I'd suggest training on 'Adept' or higher to get some real challenge....just an 2 cts. I can handle 2-3 bots in Skilled and Adept, anything higher and I'd get owned.
    Last edited by mikeysg; 10-25-2005 at 12:49 AM.
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro

'Experienced' is actaully considered pretty easy. I would recommend at least 'Masterful' for a good challenge

The key to UT is practice, practice, practice. Know the weapons, know the map. Some ppl know the map so well that they can develop a route with just the right timing so that they can get, say, the shield belt or the keg o'health just as they respawn on the map. Control of the belt and quad damage gives you a humongous advantage
    Rig:
    P4 2.4C @ 3.0Ghz | Abit IC7 | Thermalright SLK 947U + Enermax 90mm | Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm | Corsair 3GB | PowerColor HD3850 AGP | Antec SLK3700AMB | Enermax Whisper II 535W | Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 | Samsung 931B | Logitech Z-2300 | WinXP Pro

Masterful and Inhuman seem to exhibit the most realistic AI in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi00
    the shield belt
    Heh, thats a diehard UT99 player right there

Hammerhead Shark
    Easy way to time the 100amp - Whatever time you pick it up at, say 4:30, add 5 seconds and go down by a minute. So the next time it spawns is around 3:35. Also, knowing the sounds of the map will also help to know where the other player is, so you can avoid them as well as possible. Nearly every little piece of wood or metal makes a noise, so it helps to know them. Also, 1v1's are not about who has the better shot - they're about who has better map control. If you can run around the map picking up the weapons and shield as they spawn, that leaves the other guy with nothing to shoot back with.

Oh, and 100 shield spawns at :33 when the map first starts. Most 1v1 servers run a 15 minute timelimit, so around 14:40, start heading towards the 100.

Windows 7 Professional x64
    Thermaltake Tsunami
    Asus Rampage III Formula
    Intel i7 960
    12Gigs G.Skill DDR3
    XFX HD6970

www.dcwclan.com
    dakrsonic plays life.

Hammerhead Shark
    I'm on par with bots on Adept skill level and I'm pretty mediocre.
    Even at Masterful bots are no match to the players online.
    C2Q 6700 - Asus P5Q turbo
    4G RAM OCZ - 1T HD Seagate
    Sapphire 4870 512MB - LG DVD RW
    Antac 300 - Corsair 550W - Logitech G5
    -=RaVeN-LoRD=-

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    I wold use a combonation of both. Play the public servers for basic traning and spectate high ranking players for tactic ideas. Use the bots to fine tune your tactics and try out different types of strat. Then apply your new strat in public servers and evaluate the effectiveness. Repeat the cycle and watch your skill improve..
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

thx for the replies
    Activation? What activation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekkit (from ubuntu forums regarding 'goto' statement)
    Yep it sure does. So does crack cocaine. Existence is not a valid endorsement for being acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it

practice movement... if youre not dodging/ jump dodging like its second nature, youre going to get steamrolled.

as far as knowing the maps... know them well enough that you can get around the entire map and go where you like while backpeddling. thatll come in handy when youre outgunned. learn when to use the shield gun.

always use the best weapon for the situation. firing your biorifle at a guy across the map wont cut it. dont get attached to any weapon in particular. sure the flak cannon really gets the job done, but when you start stretching its limitations for effectiveness, youll be dead quick. practice your shock combos (and when to actually use them, because theyll eat up your ammo).

id get away from the sugggestions in here to practice vs bots at all personally. the AI is decent, but not good to prepare for human players. they make up for AI by using insane accuracy, and moves, and real players dont use those. for instance on masterful on up youll see bots dodge one way and when they hit the ground dodge instantly back the other way quite often... real players dont do that nearly as fast.

and if youre playing on experienced... you should be able to go wicked sick on that bot with little problem due to having a zero ping.

the number one rule as in all online FPS... DO NOT BE PREDICTABLE. if you always act the same way, theyll know the exact second youre going to round that corner, and youll be on the receiving end of a smily face, if you know what that means.
    A man once told me: You don't have to remember what you said if you always tell the truth.

Hammerhead Shark
    Well I believe those ladders use NewNet, which is sort of like ZeroPing, although not as good.

But yeah, bots won't help much. A godlike bot is pretty much like playing with an aimbotter - no movement with a hacked shot. It'd be best to join some 1v1 servers and wait for people to join in and play you. Just go through the Deathmatch internet list and look for servers with a 2 player limit.
    Last edited by Dark Sonic; 10-25-2005 at 04:52 PM.

Windows 7 Professional x64
    Thermaltake Tsunami
    Asus Rampage III Formula
    Intel i7 960
    12Gigs G.Skill DDR3
    XFX HD6970

www.dcwclan.com
    dakrsonic plays life.

Mr Zurkon is here to kill PointlesS's Avatar
    bots in ut2k4 are based on a pathing system specified by the mapper...so really how good bots are depends on how good the map's pathnodes are laid out...there's a lot of tricks that people do which simply can't be reproduced by bots...I really only use bots when I want to know the layout or get to know the feel of the level...
    Lian Li PC-K7B | Intel i5 750 | 4GB A-Data 1600 | Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R | XFX Radeon 5850 | 2-640GB WD Caviar Blue | X-fi Xtrememusic | Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra | Dell U2311H | Antec Basiq Plus 550W | NEC 3550A | Win7 Ultimate x64
    and a whole lot of lovin..