is Bards Tale any good? worth playing?

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is Bards Tale any good? worth playing?

is Bards Tale any good? worth playing?

just wondering.

ign.com and gamespot.com didn't give it too high of a review

I installed it and played it for about 15 minute and found it pretty funny with it's jokes.

I haven't played any rpg or hack/slash since around 1993.

is it worth it for me to play it?

- I've never play any of the earlier bard's tale games
    - want something easy/simple and straight forward.
    - not into those hardcore d&d type games.
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Ever watch a really crappy comedy show on tv where every one- liner seems forced and obvious, and you sorry for the actors who got suckered into the show in the first place. Make it an RPG, add a crappy camera angle, and you have The Bards Tale
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

is there simple easy to play rpg game that you guys recommend?
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

My daughter has it and I've watched her play it... it isn't gold but she enjoys it.

Just dont spend alot of money on it.

Dungeon Siege 1 and or 2 is pretty simple and alot of fun.
    War... War never changes.

I thought knights of the old republic was a fairly easy RPG to get into. Its also very well done and it has a recommened update option which you can use to update your character. I also second dungeon siege as an easy to use RPG.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

what's really so bad about Bards tale besides like the said carppy camera angle.

I've never play any recent rpg so I can't compare but the first 15 minutes I had a good time and though the jokes are funny
    (I do have a good sense of humor and watch all those sitcoms.. simpsons, family guy, american dad, married w children, sienfield)

that game is HUGE 7.3 gigs installed... what is all that space gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Wurm
    My daughter has it and I've watched her play it... it isn't gold but she enjoys it.
    How old is your daughter?
    The humor in Bard's Tale is a little adult IMHO.

I can't help but notice that games are alot like movies, you get all excited about remakes just to find out it totally sux compared to the original.
    A64 3700+ (San Diego)
    ABIT KN8 SLI
    2x512MB PC 3200 DDR
    BFG GTS 250 1 GB
    SB Audigy
    250gig Maxtor Maxline Plus II SATA HD
    Viewsonic VA1912wb

Quote Originally Posted by rimmerchant
    what's really so bad about Bards tale besides like the said carppy camera angle.

I've never play any recent rpg so I can't compare but the first 15 minutes I had a good time and though the jokes are funny
    (I do have a good sense of humor and watch all those sitcoms.. simpsons, family guy, american dad, married w children, sienfield)

that game is HUGE 7.3 gigs installed... what is all that space gone?
    I found the humor to be kinda forced and not very creative. The controls and over all gameply just seemed to bug the heck out of me. Then again, I'm spoiled by too many other RPGS.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywize
    How old is your daughter?
    The humor in Bard's Tale is a little adult IMHO.

I can't help but notice that games are alot like movies, you get all excited about remakes just to find out it totally sux compared to the original.
    My daughter is 15, and she goes with me to the bar once in a great while to drink beer and shoot pool. Things are different here in Germany.

As far as the game goes... I plan on playing it when she is finished with it.

My daughter is 15, and she goes with me to the bar once in a great while to drink beer and shoot pool. Things are different here in Germany.
    Ah well in that case she'll hear worse in school (i went to school in germany too). Didn't realize you were so ancient..eh experienced
    I was a bit disappointed in the game, but that could just be due to expectations. You hear 'The Bards Tale' and you remember the glory days in the 80s, then notice the game is nothing like the original.
    A64 3700+ (San Diego)
    ABIT KN8 SLI
    2x512MB PC 3200 DDR
    BFG GTS 250 1 GB
    SB Audigy
    Viewsonic VA1912wb

Quote Originally Posted by Skywize
    I was a bit disappointed in the game, but that could just be due to expectations. You hear 'The Bards Tale' and you remember the glory days in the 80s, then notice the game is nothing like the original.
    I actually tried Dungeon siege II and for some reason didn't really like it (played it for 15 minutes)

at max res 1600x1200 it is kinda hard to play on my monitor (20" LCD monitor). framerate was silky smooth but the fonts and words are too kinda small to read.

and seems alittle bit more complicated than Bards tale.

I think I'll stick with BT for a little bit. the fronts and readability was fine and at 1600x1200. and I was able to set my gamepad to play the game making it more of a console action/rpg. which I'm use to from days of NES Crystalis and SNES Secret of Mana.

(not really a fan of computer rpg as it always been complicated.

You want a great RPG thats really easy to play?

GOTHIC and GOTHIC 2

'nuff said

Diablo and Diablo 2

Fixed
    If you need an rpg game for a newb, these are the way to go.
    Phenom II 550BE . Biostar TA-785G3. 512MB HD4850 . 2 GB DDR3 . WD 250 GB Sata . Razer AC1 . 500W psu. Win 7 Home

sacred is also a decent one...I think most of the major bugs have been resolved.

GOTHIC and GOTHIC 2

'nuff said
    I second that.
    Shame about the expansion ******** ATARI pulled with Gothic 2 though.
    A64 3700+ (San Diego)
    ABIT KN8 SLI
    2x512MB PC 3200 DDR
    BFG GTS 250 1 GB
    SB Audigy
    Viewsonic VA1912wb