HD457 or HD202

Sharky Forums

Thread: HD457 or HD202

Expensive Sushi

HD457 or HD202

I was wondering which of these two headphones would suit me best. I will be mainly using them for watching movies on my laptop while on the road. I am on a very limited budget and both of these can be had for $30, so they are my two choices.

IF you can buy online I would go for Senn HD201's, they are cheaper at headphone.com than the 457 or 202 and supposedly sound great for the price.

Does it have to be one of those two? The Koss Sportapro is also an excellent headphone and would fit in your price range. If you could squeeze out a few more dollars, Amazon has the Portapro for $35 shipped. Both are good cans, especially if you're going to be using them on the road (and they have lifetime warranties, should they be "packed" a little too hard).

Between those two and assuming that you don't get much benefit from sealed headphones, I would recommend the 457. The HD201 would also be an excellent choice, probably better than the two you were looking at.
    Core 2 Duo 6750
    Antec P182
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
    Asus Xonar D2
    Panasonic SA-XR55 / Audio Technica ATH-A900

i would get sealed phones for the road because of isolation
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Currently: Dallas, US. Originally: Monterrey, Mexico
    I can only comment on the HD 457 as I used to own one, did like them, fit nicely on the head. But kpxgq does have a good point
    "Est Solarus Oth Mithas"
    My Honor is My Life

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination

The HD201 is supposed to sound quite good for the price, and is closed as mentioned above. Only disadvantage really is that it doesn't seal too well apparently (i.e. it doesn't block out external noise real well). But it won't bother people next to you too much since it's a closed design, so I'd definitely give it a hard look.
    IBM T43 - "Menardi"
    Pentium-M 1.86, 2048 MB PC4200 DDR2, 60 GB HD, DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, ATI X300 64 MB, 14.1" screen, Fingerprint reader

Expensive Sushi
    Since posting this thread, I have listened to the HD202s, and I like the way they sound, much better than what you can buy in most stores. Has anyone heard all three of the headphones mentioned in here, the 457s, the 201s and the 202s? I need to make a decision here in the next few days and you guys are going to be my ears.

My understanding is that the HD201 with the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage USB dongle makes a great laptop combination. You can do a search on head-fi for more information there. I can say that the TBAA, at least, is pretty nice on its own, especially for the size.

Sorry to say I can't be of any more help than that. I own a broken pair of HD497s (and love/loved them), and I can say that I suspect the 457 should be pretty good. But it's not exactly something I'd necessary recommend.
    IBM T43 - "Menardi"
    Pentium-M 1.86, 2048 MB PC4200 DDR2, 60 GB HD, DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, ATI X300 64 MB, 14.1" screen, Fingerprint reader

Expensive Sushi
    Here's the thread hammerstein is referring to...

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127142