Can I mix RAM Brands??

Sharky Forums

Thread: Can I mix RAM Brands??

Can I mix RAM Brands??

Hello,

Topic says it all... can I mix different brands of RAM? Assuming of course they would be same size and same speed.

I have currently 2x 512MB from Crucial (PC-3200). The third Dimm would be a Kingston, same specs.

As to why I dont just get another Crucial... well, I need to import it... it gets more expensive.. and a Kingston I can find it around here.
    Greets from Hell, the Dark-Knight.

Main System
    Athlon 64 X2 6400+ @ 3.22 Ghz | Gigabyte Motherboard | 4 x 1G Corsair RAM | BFG Nvidia 8800 GT | Antec 650W PSU | 120GB WD SATA HD @ 7200 RPM | Sound Blaster X-Fi Music | Sony DVD 16x | ASUS DVD-RW | WinXP w/ SP2

"Most" of the time this will work. Only one real way to find out.....
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

i've not heard mixing ram failing. just remember that whatever frequency you put in there matches. i know if you mix a backwards compatible pc3200/2700 with an only pc3200 stick of memory it will not work...double check your frequencies.
    Lian-Li PC-7B | Antec Earthwatts 500 | Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 | Intel DG965WH | 2gig PNY DDR2-667 | ATI X300 | SATA/300 250gig | Vista Ultimate 32bit

Could there be a problem between timings? It seems the original RAM is.. CL 2.5...
    and the Kingston one is... CL 3....

Main System
    Athlon 64 X2 6400+ @ 3.22 Ghz | Gigabyte Motherboard | 4 x 1G Corsair RAM | BFG Nvidia 8800 GT | Antec 650W PSU | 120GB WD SATA HD @ 7200 RPM | Sound Blaster X-Fi Music | Sony DVD 16x | ASUS DVD-RW | WinXP w/ SP2

Yeah make sure the timings and the frequencies match, but other than that youll have to try it to see if it works, Tell us if it does
    Last edited by imbuildingacomp9874; 12-02-2005 at 05:20 PM.
    My new rig:
    Gigabyte P35 DS3L
    Intel Q6600 @ 2.4
    Corsair XMS (2 gig X 2) 4-4-4-12
    Evga Nvidia 7800 GTX
    Thermaltake Armor Case
    Logitech x-530 5.1 Speakers
    Antec NeoHE 510 PSU
    Logitech MX 518
    Dell Ergonmic Keyboard
    Ben Q 20.1" Widescreen
    Nec 3540A DVD+RW Burner
    Asus 16x DVD Rom
    X-fi Xtreme Music Sound Card
    Sennheisers PC 150

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    Mixing ram is not a bad thing, butttt it will only work as fast as the slowest piece of RAM you put in the machine.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

The other thing with mixing RAM is that you might not even be mixing. There are actually only a few RAM manufacturers: Micron, Samsung, Infineon, and Hynix. The rest are RAM assemblers.

It's actually possible that the Kingston DIMM uses the same Micron chips as the Crucial DIMMs. It's hard to say, and depends on the modules in question. The only thing that is certain AFAIK is that all Crucial DIMMs use Micron chips, and all Corsair DIMMs use Samsung chips. I think everyone else is a bag of mixed chips. I know that Kingston does use Samsung chips in a lot of their HyperX DIMMs, but I *think* they also might use Micron chips. I'm not sure on that, so don't hold me to it.

That's why it's really kind of silly when people preach one particular brand over the other (such as OCZ vs Corsair) because most of the DIMMs use the same damn Samsung chips.

Personally, I only buy Crucial because I know exactly what I'm getting. There's never any guess work. Always Micron chips.

^so true
    My new rig:
    Gigabyte P35 DS3L
    Intel Q6600 @ 2.4
    Corsair XMS (2 gig X 2) 4-4-4-12
    Evga Nvidia 7800 GTX
    Thermaltake Armor Case
    Logitech x-530 5.1 Speakers
    Antec NeoHE 510 PSU
    Logitech MX 518
    Dell Ergonmic Keyboard
    Ben Q 20.1" Widescreen
    Nec 3540A DVD+RW Burner
    Asus 16x DVD Rom
    X-fi Xtreme Music Sound Card
    Sennheisers PC 150

Thanks for the responses.

It seems all PC-3200 Common Dimms are CL=3... (With common I mean not ballistix.. No corsair super mem.. or stuff like that). So from that side Im covered.

Doing some more research before buying anything, since given the mobo, and CPU.. If i put in certain combination of single rank with double rank memory, the speed will drop to 333Mhz.. instead of 400Mhz. So, im looking into some Bios thingies, that seem to fix this.... or at least that is what Gigabyte site implies...

Dont want to purchase more PC3200.. to have it all run like PC2700....

I have not yet found what exactly "double rank" means.. any takers to explain this? Some have said.. this is the same as double sided (ie, having mem chips on both sides of the Dimm). I bought the ram from Crucial as single sided.. (only chips on one side).

Main System

Actually, I HAVE seen cas latency differences screw up the machine. It mainly happens in proprietary systems like Compaqs and Dells where they used no name boards with bios' you can't edit, and they are set to a faster cas (say 2) and you throw in a stick of cas 3, it will cause all sorts of issues. It is better to make certain your cas latencies match. Your frequencies aren't as crucial, people mix those all the time.
    drs1771
    Main rig: i7-2600K, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD, 16GB Kingston Hyper X 1333, 320GB Seagate Sata 3.0 X2 (Raid 0), Intel 40GB SSD Cached (Intel Rapid Storage), ATi Radeon HD5700.

"It's not the size of your sig that matters, its the size of your heatpipe..."

Double-ranked = double-sided, which btw, has nothing to do with whether chips are on each side of the stick or not, but with the way the addresses are set up on the stick. If you are buying 512MB on a single stick, it is double-sided, double-ranked, whatever you want to call it guaranteed. In fact, in most cases even a 256 stick is double-sided these days.

Having said all that, yes, on your platform you will have issues running 3 512 MB sticks. You may be able to get by with reduced clocks, PC2700 as you mentioned, or it may not work at all. Unfortunately this is all due to the mem controller on your cpu and nothing to do with the board.
    Last edited by mikead_99; 12-02-2005 at 10:01 PM.