Sharky Forums

Thread: Random reboots, where to start

Random reboots, where to start

Well I've built a new system this week:

Asus A8N-E Premium SLI motherboard
    A64 4000+ San Diego CPU
    XFX 7800 GTX

to replace the system in my sig.
    Now I'm having a few issues with random reboots. No blue screen, nothing, just a sudden black screen and the system reboots. After 3-4 hours, just a random reboot. System is definitely not overheating, CPU temperature is 30-35 idling, and tops out at 46 when stress tested, so not hot at all. Video card is fine too, no artifacts or abnormal temperatures.
    CPU opverclocks fine to 2.6ghz without any voltage increases and the temperature is hardly affected at all.
    Now I haven't had the time or the will to spend time with it this week, as it suits me fine for day-to-day usage, but I can't leave it overnight to download something.
    The system did not reboot when I tried SiSoft Sandra Burn In test for like 30-40 minutes.
    So here's the possible cuplrits on my list:
    RAM - I have 2gb total, 2 different brands of ram. 1gb is corsair(512x2), 1gb(512x2) is geil. Maybe a conflict there?
    PSU- I have a Thermaltake 420 watt power supply in right now, I also have an enermax (or something?) 550 watt PSU that I might try as well.
    Audigy 2- I occasionally had an issue or 2 with teh crappy creative cards, maybe once again? (onboard sound is currently disabled).

I downloaded new bios+nforce drivers last night and will update those today.

Any other suggestions, thoughts?
    Last edited by Gunslash; 12-02-2005 at 11:37 AM.
    I7 920 (C0)@3.2ghz
    Asus P6T
    SLI MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II GE unlocked to GTX470
    6GB Ram
    Intel SSD
    Raptor-150GB
    Vista 64

Sharky Extreme 3DMark Team

Great White Shark
    Look in the event log for errors and warnings.
    A reboot without a BSOD indicates a critical hardware problem such as a power supply, processor or mobo.

Might try turning off the auto reboot function in Control Panel->System Icon->Advance tab->Startup & Recovery "Settings button"

You'll probably start getting BSOD which can searched on.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Test.

Reef Shark
    Try taking out one brand of ram and see what happens. You might be having compatibility problems with 2 different manufactures of ram.
    [iG] SPECTRE
    www.indygamers.com

fixed it.

for some reason the motherboard does not like SATA drives (or my current one at least). the error message would often refer to nvata failures.
    reinstalled wxp on my 60gb ide drive, and so far so good and no random reboots...keeping figners crossed

thanks for the suggestions folks
    btw the system still rebooted even with half the ram in
    Last edited by Gunslash; 12-02-2005 at 11:54 PM.
    I7 920 (C0)@3.2ghz
    Asus P6T
    SLI MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II GE unlocked to GTX470
    6GB Ram
    Intel SSD
    Raptor-150GB
    Vista 64

Sharky Extreme 3DMark Team