No video in .avi file

Sharky Forums

Thread: No video in .avi file

No video in .avi file

So last night I was playing world of warcraft and I used FRAPs to capture a video of what I was doing for like 8 or so minutes. My computer kept messing up that same night so I reinstalled windows (no format) and now when I try to play the file, there is no video, only sound. The file is still 3.5Gb so I know the info is there and the file was on my backup hard drive (not the one I reinstalled windows on.) I even know that the file DID work because before I messed with windows I played it and it was fine. Any idea how I can get this to work? I am using videolan player to play it and it works on almost everything and this file is a .avi... I have also sent it to friends over our network and they get the same result. Thanks for the help.
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team

try opening it using virtualdub
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Sounds like you may have lost some codecs with the reinstall.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

I also think this is a codec issue. I've actually had some similar issues myself where IrfanView and Vlan with both open and play the audio, but no video. Media Player Classic, however, shows it all fine. I've just started using this instead of trying to fix the codec mess.

Open Source is free like a puppy is free.

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Understanding Evolution

nope i tried that media player also and it just said that some of the pins failed to render and that it thought a codec was missing... I don't understand how a codec could be missing, i used FRAPs to make the video, which i and friends can view each time, why would this be different...
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team

I usually use bsplayer but sometimes it doesn't work I use media player classic and if all else fails vlc works usually does the trick.
    Macbook Pro: Dual Boot: OSX Leopard/Vista Home Premium|2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo|4GB RAM|128MB 8600GT|120GB HDD|Double-layer SuperDrive|1TB Seagate|Logitech VX Nano|Apple Al BT keyboard|ATH-A500|8GB iPhone|