No wireless networks were found in range?

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No wireless networks were found in range?

Catfish

Unhappy No wireless networks were found in range?

All of the sudden today, my notebook stopped syncing to the internet. I am connected wirelessly via a router and I have been troubleshooting this for days. I really have no idea why the notebook shows that there are no wireless networks in range. The other computers on the network show the wireless networks in the building and can connect to the internet just fine.

I didn't change any settings. All I was doing was checking my email on Outlook and then 5 minutes later, I can't even connect to the internet. Anyone have any ideas???
    Last edited by BaCardi; 03-25-2006 at 08:36 AM.

Great White Shark
    Perhaps ypur wireless NIC or software failed.
    Are there any error or warning entries in the system event log?
    Does device manager show the wireless harware to be operational?

The same thing has happend to me about 5 times now. The wireless cards I was using worked fine on other computers at the time of the incident, but at the computer with the problem, it would just not get any connection even for just scanning for a wireless network. The router and all the other systems on my network was running fine.

At first I thought it might be the firewall I was using which is Zonealarm, so I disabled that and nothing happend. Uninstalled it and nothing happend.

Just like BaCardi, I wasnt doing anything out of the ordinary at the time the incident occured. Out of nowhere I just lost my internet connection and until I couldnt find any solution, I just reinstalled Windows. Now it has happend again so Im wondering if you guys could help us. Thanks!
    AMD64 3000 (Winchester)
    MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum
    Antec Neopower 480w
    1gb Corsair TwinX PC3200C2PT
    Chaintech Geforce6600gt

Catfish

Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by ua549
    Perhaps ypur wireless NIC or software failed.
    Are there any error or warning entries in the system event log?
    Does device manager show the wireless harware to be operational?

On my notebook comp, the device manager indicates that the wireless NIC is working properly.

I checked the system event log in the control panel and did notice some errors and warnings. On the day that I started having these probs, the system event log recorded multiple errors from DCOM and multiple DHCP warnings, as well as some DHCP warnings and errors in the previous days leading up to notebook comp not being able to see wireless networks.

I'm really stumped.

Great White Shark
    In device manager delete the wireless NIC then let Windows discover it and reinstall it.

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549
    In device manager delete the wireless NIC then let Windows discover it and reinstall it.

Hooray! That must've done the trick. I don't know how. I know know why. And I really don't care, but it works again! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BaCardi; 03-27-2006 at 06:08 AM.

Sushi
    I have had this problem for months now. It is really annoying however i do not have the time to re-install windows. Which has fixed this problem before. I ahve re-installed the hardware 2 times. Nothing seems to be working, anyone else have any ideas?

There can be many reasons for Wireless Not to work.

The following is a long story but it might help you to find the "Bug".

In General, you can debug the Network Setting of the computer following these steps.

Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager. Make sure that the drivers are installed correctly; there is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation( http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost ).

Step Two. Verify Basic network setting in the OS, http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify

If the above two Steps indicates that every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.

Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and or refresh the TCP/IP Stack, ( http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet ).

Once you ascertain that the Network settings per-se are configured correctly.

Wireless, check the basics.

Wireless Configuration.

Wireless Security.

:sun;
    Last edited by cat5e; 08-04-2006 at 10:47 AM.

CAT5e
    Microsoft, MVP - Networking

Sushi

try connecting the power supply

I have a new Acer laptop and I found that it could not see the wireless router, despite being right next to it.
    The solution to the problem was to connect the power supply to it, so that it was not running off the battery. This suggests that to make that initial connection it needs some extra power that the battery cannot provide.

Great White Shark
    There is a power setting that allows the system to turn off power to certain devices. Once the power is off, it won't resume until the machine is connected to wall power. The solution is to not let the system turn off power to your wireless NIC.

Most newer Laptops usually have double power saving system.

One is Native to Windows (Power Saving in the control panel), and one is usually a propriety manufacturer’s application loaded at startup.

Propriety applications usually have a special setting for the Wireless Card.

Make sure to check both.

CAT5e
    Microsoft, MVP - Networking

Sushi
    Thought i should finally reply again. My problem ended up being with the button on the laptop. There is a button on the front of my hp which enables or disables the wireless network. Turns out it caused a conflict between the windows disable through device manager and however it disables, which must be physically cutting off the power or something. But regardless i did a series of dsiabling through device manager and restarting and enabling and pressing the button and things, and it finally began working after a while. I do not really know how.

Catfish
    roboticsguy, hey man good to hear that you solved your mystery. Dude! You dragged up an old thread! Ahhh, memories! As for me, I also found out why I wasn't connected. I am embarassed to say that there is a switch on my laptop that turns on/off the wireless card. I accidentally had it turned off. I don't know how. Maybe I bumped it or something. Well, I actually went through many days of troubleshooting the software until one day I just noticed the little light near the wireless switch was off. Geez! Well, at least I figured that one out.

Sushi
    Yeah thats how i came accross mine... i had the card enabled and it wouldn't find any wireless netwroks and i just noticed that the light wasn't on. But it took some work to get the button working again with windows.

I really should get more involed in some of the threads on this site, lol.

Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by roboticsguy1988
    Thought i should finally reply again. My problem ended up being with the button on the laptop. There is a button on the front of my hp which enables or disables the wireless network. Turns out it caused a conflict between the windows disable through device manager and however it disables, which must be physically cutting off the power or something. But regardless i did a series of dsiabling through device manager and restarting and enabling and pressing the button and things, and it finally began working after a while. I do not really know how.
    I had to sign up just to thank you for this post. I've never noticed that button on my laptop before. I've been fighting for a good hour with getting it connected and I read your post and it immediately solved the issue. Thank you!

(and sorry to drag up an old thread!)