No wireless networks were found in range? - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No wireless networks were found in range?

Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by roboticsguy1988
    Thought i should finally reply again. My problem ended up being with the button on the laptop. There is a button on the front of my hp which enables or disables the wireless network. Turns out it caused a conflict between the windows disable through device manager and however it disables, which must be physically cutting off the power or something. But regardless i did a series of dsiabling through device manager and restarting and enabling and pressing the button and things, and it finally began working after a while. I do not really know how.
    OMG !!!

Sushi
    had to sign up just to thank you for this post. I've never noticed that button on my laptop before. I've been fighting for a good hour with getting it connected and I read your post and it immediately solved the issue. Thank you

it jus click "Fn: click and "F1" on my Hp

Sushi
    OK I have to say that that button is really annoying my wireless works now because some how I hit the button with out knowing it and I just tried it and it works now. Grrrrr Thanks for that tip.
    Last edited by luffyyfful; 03-29-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Sushi

How to identify the NIC

Quote Originally Posted by BaCardi View Post
    Hooray! That must've done the trick. I don't know how. I know know why. And I really don't care, but it works again! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm having the same problem as you had a few years ago. You said that the following advice worked:

"In device manager delete the wireless NIC then let Windows discover it and reinstall it."

I'm in device manage. How do I identify the NIC? It should be the wireless adapter listed under the network adapter tab? Just wanted to confirm before I delete something!

Mako Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    . . . I'm in device manage. How do I identify the NIC? It should be the wireless adapter listed under the network adapter tab? Just wanted to confirm before I delete something!
    Yes.

Sushi

sure this will work?

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. And one more followup question. If I delete the NIC adapter in device manager, can I be certain that my computer will find it again somewhere on my computer? Or might I need a disk, or access to the Internet? Thanks!

Mako Shark
    It should use the same driver that is currently on your computer, unless you provide an updated driver.

Sushi

Smile No Wireless Networks in Range

When looking for a solution to my HP Elite notebook losing the wireless networks and reading the postings I tried enabling and disabling devices as posted. I started looking at the buttons on the top tray and pressing them, I found the button for the wireless networking. The icon lit looks the same as the first button on the bottom of the laptop. After pressing that button, the wireless button was then blue (it was amber when I could not access the wireless networks) and I can now see the wireless networks, including my own secure network.

Thanks to everyone for their postings as it led me to the solution to my problem.

Glad to hear you found the solution dfrazier. The hard switch for wireless can be an easy thing to miss.

Off topic: This thread seems to be some kind of magical SEO magnet. Post necros for 5 years running.
    Insert ancient Sharky sig here
    [
    Prince Vindir of the OC Crusaders
    Holding Boundaries and Breaking Barriers

]

Sushi

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by roboticsguy1988 View Post
    Thought i should finally reply again. My problem ended up being with the button on the laptop. There is a button on the front of my hp which enables or disables the wireless network. Turns out it caused a conflict between the windows disable through device manager and however it disables, which must be physically cutting off the power or something. But regardless i did a series of dsiabling through device manager and restarting and enabling and pressing the button and things, and it finally began working after a while. I do not really know how.

I had to register just to say thanks for the fix! There is no LED for or physical power button on my wireless card. That is why I did not think to check to see if my wireless card was powered down. In my case, the Function + F2 buttons on my Acer laptop toggles the power on/off. Thanks again!

Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by BaCardi View Post
    roboticsguy, hey man good to hear that you solved your mystery. Dude! You dragged up an old thread! Ahhh, memories! As for me, I also found out why I wasn't connected. I am embarassed to say that there is a switch on my laptop that turns on/off the wireless card. I accidentally had it turned off. I don't know how. Maybe I bumped it or something. Well, I actually went through many days of troubleshooting the software until one day I just noticed the little light near the wireless switch was off. Geez! Well, at least I figured that one out.

My cause of this problem ALSO was as simple as wireless switch of my notebook accidentally went and was in OFF position!

After spending 4 hours on reading forums and complicated situations I found this out myself

My be the moderator could place this reason to the very top of the thread, so that the simplest and probably most frequent reason for notebook problem is given first

Quote Originally Posted by vic999 View Post
    My cause of this problem ALSO was as simple as wireless switch of my notebook accidentally went and was in OFF position!

After spending 4 hours on reading forums and complicated situations I found this out myself

My be the moderator could place this reason to the very top of the thread, so that the simplest and probably most frequent reason for notebook problem is given first
    A link to a page with this info was given already 8 years ago in one of the posts above.

Quote:"Many new Laptops come with a physical switch that disables the Wireless (helps to save battery power if the Wireless is not working).

Consult you computer’s manual and make sure that if you have such a switch it is On".

Last edited by cat5e; 02-02-2015 at 02:45 PM.

CAT5e
    Microsoft, MVP - Networking

Catfish
    There are two names I have not seen in a long time. Cat5e and UA. I used to follow both of you guys advice so long ago. Has been a long time. Hope all is well.