Files won't appear without manual refresh

Sharky Forums

Thread: Files won't appear without manual refresh

Expensive Sushi

Files won't appear without manual refresh

A few day ago I noticed that when I download a file or create a new folder either on my desktop or in Windows Explorer nothing shows up until I right-click and select the "Refresh" option. The only thing that changed was I uninstalled a Linux distro I was checking out and wiped that HDD. I've searched forums and the M$ knowledge base and have had no luck finding anything describing this problem and how to correct it. If anyone can explain the fix I would be grateful since this is extremely frustrating.

Thanks,
    UL
    Beware the fury of a patient man. - John Dryden

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

Try reinstalling explorer.exe
    "All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move."
    January 21, 2013 The End of an ERROR

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermo
    Try reinstalling explorer.exe
    How would I go about doing that? Since I'm at work now without access to my home computer, I'd like to preemptively ask if there's a specific set-up file on my HDD or Windows CD that I can run or set of files to copy-paste from the CD?

One other thing; I understand how this "should" fix my problem with respect to viewing folders/files with windows explore. I'm not getting how it will help when I'm just looking at my desktop though. I'd like to learn something out of this so if it's possible to explain without a lot of technical detail I'd appreciate the extra knowledge.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

Expensive Sushi
    I wanted to add an update here. I've looked around for a way to reinstall windows explorer and found a few interesting articles regarding update MS06-015. So I tried adding the registry entries as defined here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165? for the nVidia shell extensions. That didn't work and neither did a "repair" using the XP CD.

It just occured to me that maybe I should mention I am using Firefox and Thunderbird instead of IE and Outlook; but upon reflection I distinctly remember the screen automatically refreshing when I first started using them about 2 weeks or so ago. Thus I am still wondering how to solve this issue. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.