Intel Pentium D VS P4 HT

Sharky Forums

Thread: Intel Pentium D VS P4 HT

Expensive Sushi

Intel Pentium D VS P4 HT

I have a P4 3.0 GHz with HT a friend has a Intel Pentium D 2.8 that he wants to sell will it be worth the upgrade? I also have to get a new motherboard to fit it.

I do a lot of CPU takes like editing high definition video and encoding the video takes days on my PC. I was just going to buy a Pentium D 3.0 but will i really miss 200mhz?
    Last edited by Mike82; 05-01-2006 at 04:38 PM.

If your applications are multi-threaded, that dual core processor will kill a single core processor with HT.

Also keep in mind that along with a new motherboard you will also likely find yourself buying new RAM. The current crop of LGA 775 boards use DDR2, and I'm guessing you have plain old DDR; this is based on the fact that you said you need to change the board to support the P4 D processor.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by Un4given
    If your applications are multi-threaded, that dual core processor will kill a single core processor with HT.
    Really? And if they are not multi-threaded? Yes i would have to get new ram.

Expensive Sushi
    Going by the CPU chart on toms hardware there is not much of a differance in the two. Is this chart correct? The Dual core was faster at some thing but so was the P4

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html