A japanese text editor with automatic furigana/ruby text?

Sharky Forums

Thread: A japanese text editor with automatic furigana/ruby text?

A japanese text editor with automatic furigana/ruby text?

I've been typing more stuff out in japanese and while i cant understand a lot of the kanji yet i'd rather look at kanji with furigana over hiragana.

Open office has furigana functionality, however you have to manually type the furigana and it doesnt seem to have functionality where you can type the hiragana, select the kanji, and have the furigana appear automatically (which should be possible since you just typed the pronunciation a second ago).

Anyone know of such a program?

Found one, Wakan (和漢)
    http://wakan.manga.cz/

Its a freeware project for Japanese and Chinese students. It has:

character look up
    Japanese -> English dictionary
    English -> Japanese dictionary
    Editor/translator, you can write and paste contents into here and it will translate each kanji word and place the furigana above it (check the image)
    Vocabulary list "The Vocabulary Manager maintains word lists for study purposes, and groups them by categories. "

(clicky)

Its main Japanese dictionary is based off of the EDICT ( http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/j_edict.html ) dictionary, and it has extra dictionaries you can download from there site. Stuff like Proper names, Japanese Places, Scientific words, Buddhism words.

I've only taken a brief look at JWPce, but Wakan seems far better in terms of ease of use.