Rewiring Headphone plugs.

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rewiring Headphone plugs.

Hybrid View

Senor Sausage

Rewiring Headphone plugs.

Okay, I'll be honest. Im generally very boisterous with my headphones. Tugging and pulling and stuff. So they fail on me quite often. Today I discovered that my left channel on my AKG 26Ps just died. Now I have troubleshooted the connection. The wire on the left channel has broken off from the headphone jack. How do I fix this ? What replacement should I look for.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Weistber

Gaming Rig Status: Up
    | i5-2500 | MSI GTX560 | 2x2GB Corsair ValueRam

Games I'm playing: Witcher 2 (PC), RAGE(PC), Fallout: New Vegas (PC), Gears Of War 3 (X360)

Sleeps with the Fishes talldude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Transfurzz
    Okay, I'll be honest. Im generally very boisterous with my headphones. Tugging and pulling and stuff. So they fail on me quite often. Today I discovered that my left channel on my AKG 26Ps just died. Now I have troubleshooted the connection. The wire on the left channel has broken off from the headphone jack. How do I fix this ? What replacement should I look for.
    A soldering iron + solder and you're set.

Senor Sausage
    Quote Originally Posted by talldude
    A soldering iron + solder and you're set.
    Damn, I better ask my ********ic Prototyping lab overseer for some help. I haven't even done my first soldering practical yet.
    Last edited by Transfurzz; 05-25-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Games I'm playing: Witcher 2 (PC), RAGE(PC), Fallout: New Vegas (PC), Gears Of War 3 (X360)

Sleeps with the Fishes talldude's Avatar
    ah, it's real easy...read up on the net on proper form, practice on some spare wires, and you're set.

Senor Sausage
    Quote Originally Posted by talldude
    ah, it's real easy...read up on the net on proper form, practice on some spare wires, and you're set.

Better bring some band-aid. Either way I don't have solder, my school has both solder and a digital multimeter. So that should work perfectly. Is it advisable to get a portable multimeter in this line of work ? Computer Engineering to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by Candyman
    All the soldering tips you need in one convenient place. Tangent rocks my world.
    Thanks for that. Gonna bookmark it and try my hand at it after my next practical. I do have a soldering iron if you guys are inclined to ask. Just a bit skittish.
    Last edited by Transfurzz; 05-24-2006 at 04:31 AM.

Better bring some band-aid. Either way I don't have solder, my school has both solder and a digital multimeter. So that should work perfectly. Is it advisable to get a portable multimeter in this line of work ? Computer Engineering to be exact.
    I'm a computer engineer and I don't own one, but I definitely want one. However, the main reason I don't own one yet is my older roommate is also a computer engineer and has one so I just borrow his whenever I need it.
    Last edited by SprySpectre; 05-24-2006 at 12:47 PM.
    Audio Setups:
    E-MU 0404 ---toslink---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"
    E-MU 0404 ---analog---> Little Dot II tube amp ---> Beyerdynamics DT880 or Sennheiser HD280 pros.
    Technics SL-1200 MKII ---> TCC TC-750LC Phono Preamp ---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"

Proud Sharky Folding@Home member! (Rank 37 and counting...)

Make sure to put heatshrink over the soldered connection, it really helps out in the durability department. Also, don't be like me, slip on the heatshrink BEFORE you solder the wires. You'd think I'd stop doing that...

All the soldering tips you need in one convenient place. Tangent rocks my world.
    Core 2 Duo 6750
    Antec P182
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
    Asus Xonar D2
    Panasonic SA-XR55 / Audio Technica ATH-A900

and don't forget to check those channels with the multimeter BEFORE you've soldered and definitely BEFORE screwing the plug chassis back on. Not that its really a big deal for music, but still. Everybody will do it once
    AM2 Windsor 2.4ghz -> Asus M2N-E/ 2048mb G.Skill ddr2800 -> Sapphire x1800xt
    A2 Plat eX -->Canare Cables/Pimeta --> AudioTechnica ATH-A500 & Ety ER-6
    Infinity Primus 150 w/ Datyon 10" sub

Sharky's Extreme 3dmark Team

Senor Sausage
    Quote Originally Posted by thrawn86
    and don't forget to check those channels with the multimeter BEFORE you've soldered and definitely BEFORE screwing the plug chassis back on. Not that its really a big deal for music, but still. Everybody will do it once
    I just run it through on Ammeter mode right ? Connect the negative to ground ?

I just run it through on Ammeter mode right ? Connect the negative to ground ?
    just connect your two probes between the two points you want to check the connection for. This is so you can verify that the right wire (mini plug middle ring), left wire (mini plug tip) and ground (base/chasis) are connected properly and there is no existing connection between either the left/right channels and ground.

you want to set it to resistance in ohms on the lowest scale (or just get one thats autoranging, it sets the scale automatically).

reading of 0.0 ohms (or some very very low resistance) means continuity, infinite resistance means an open circuit, or no continuity.
    AM2 Windsor 2.4ghz -> Asus M2N-E/ 2048mb G.Skill ddr2800 -> Sapphire x1800xt
    A2 Plat eX -->Canare Cables/Pimeta --> AudioTechnica ATH-A500 & Ety ER-6
    Infinity Primus 150 w/ Datyon 10" sub

Sharky's Extreme 3dmark Team

Senor Sausage
    Quote Originally Posted by thrawn86
    reading of 0.0 ohms (or some very very low resistance) means continuity, infinite resistance means an open circuit, or no continuity.
    Yes, I understand. I am taking engineering.

Thanks for replying, I'll keep that in mind.

Senor Sausage
    Well just picked up some solder and had some practice with it in school. Free solder from school is fun.

Now, I'll head down to the shop that sold the cans to me and see if warranty covers the damage. If it doesn't, I'll go about looking for replacement plugs.

Which is more advisable to get by the way ? A analogue or digital portable multimeter.
    Last edited by Transfurzz; 05-25-2006 at 08:50 AM.

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    You might run into a problem...

Headphone wire is normally coated since they do run the pairs in the same plastic sleeve. So just soldering them together would not work, since the solder itself would not adhere to it.

It’s the main problem I have always seen in headphones. I had to repair my 212Pro when one of the plugs broke.

What you can do is take a small knife or blade and lay the cable on a piece of metal or board and scrap the cable slowly. Make sure not to rip the thin wires out as you scrap it. You don’t want to add to much pressure and you don’t need a long piece of scrapped wire.

Once it’s scraped it would have exposed the copper and you can solder it.

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

Senor Sausage
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus
    You might run into a problem...

Headphone wire is normally coated since they do run the pairs in the same plastic sleeve. So just soldering them together would not work, since the solder itself would not adhere to it.

It’s the main problem I have always seen in headphones. I had to repair my 212Pro when one of the plugs broke.

What you can do is take a small knife or blade and lay the cable on a piece of metal or board and scrap the cable slowly. Make sure not to rip the thin wires out as you scrap it. You don’t want to add to much pressure and you don’t need a long piece of scrapped wire.

Once it’s scraped it would have exposed the copper and you can solder it.
    The copper is already exposed. I know how to strip wires too.

Thank you for the headsup.