How are Sony MDR-V600s?

Sharky Forums

Thread: How are Sony MDR-V600s?

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar

How are Sony MDR-V600s?

I got a set of these headphones about a year ago as a gift and just now started to use them. They are good for mowing the lawn, they cancel out a lot of noise . I was just wondering how they stack up against other headphones. I don't know anything about the headphone market and just wanna know if they are a good pair that I can keep awhile. I dont have any other headphones to "reference" them to.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

I've never heard them specifically...so I'll just go with the generic: www.google.com. See what other reviewers had to say.
    Audio Setups:
    E-MU 0404 ---toslink---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"
    E-MU 0404 ---analog---> Little Dot II tube amp ---> Beyerdynamics DT880 or Sennheiser HD280 pros.
    Technics SL-1200 MKII ---> TCC TC-750LC Phono Preamp ---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"

Proud Sharky Folding@Home member! (Rank 37 and counting...)

The MDR-V### series has a pretty bad reputation. Have a look at the HeadphoneReviews page for this model.

I don't trust google for reviews of things unless they are done by (semi-)professional reviewers, as the average person seems to be rather poorly informed about the quality of consumer goods they purchase.
    Core 2 Duo 6750
    Antec P182
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
    Asus Xonar D2
    Panasonic SA-XR55 / Audio Technica ATH-A900

They sound like "cr@p"
    I wouldn't go near that muddy bass driver again!

THe V6's which are a better are "Ok" and not to be confused with these. As they are much cleaner, but too sterile and lacking midrange warmth or power or transients details for overall enjoyment.
    Last edited by Buster Sword; 06-18-2006 at 05:00 PM.

*Mac Pro 2.66 Quadcore Xeon
    *3GB fbdimm
    *8800 GT Superclock evga
    *2407WFP-HC
    *810GB HDD total space
    *AUDIO|Pioneer VSX-815|Klipsch Ultra Sub|rears|Infinity C250|
    |Boston Acoustics CR67|
    |Ath-A900|Penguin Amp Ultra
    *SONY 40XBR4 40" HDTV

Senor Sausage
    I never really liked Sony's sound quality. I personally recommend people to get a PX100 or PMX100 if they want a good set of portable headphones. However, these aren't a close ear design. So they don't cancel out a lot of sound.
    Last edited by Transfurzz; 06-18-2006 at 08:37 PM.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Weistber

Gaming Rig Status: Up
    | i5-2500 | MSI GTX560 | 2x2GB Corsair ValueRam

Games I'm playing: Witcher 2 (PC), RAGE(PC), Fallout: New Vegas (PC), Gears Of War 3 (X360)

Sony headphones tend to just be really crappy unless you buy a really high dollar pair. I've owned a few sony earbuds and headphones in the sub $100 range, and they were all very dissapointing. Loose muddy bass was the most common trait, but the rest of the sound spectrum wasn't much better.

If you need some headphones with good isolation, www.headfi.org is an excellent resource. You shouldn't even need to make any posts, just use the search function and you're sure to find what you're looking for. Be wary though - things they will claim are "mediocre" may sound absolutely amazing to you. Alot of the people on headfi have that snobby audiophile attitude and have no idea how crappy their ears really are (I love how some people on there think they can tell a difference between a regular stereo cable and a $600 one... there are even discussions about cable "burn in" ... lol).
    Intel Q6600 @ 334x9 [] Giga-Byte P35-DS3R [] 6GB GSkill DDR2-800 4-4-5 [] Radeon HD 2900 XT 512MB [] Seagate 7200.8 250GB + WD 320GB x3 in RAID 5 [] Pioneer slot-load 16x DVD [] Lite-On 32x12x40x CDRW [] Onboard Sound -> Altec Lansing 641 speakers [] ESI Juli@ -> Practical Devices XM4 -> AudioTechnica A900 headphones [] Mitsubishi 200NF 22" Diamondtron CRT [] Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Foobar 2000 is better than your current music player/library!