Connecting z5500's to Standard Speaker Cable

Sharky Forums

Thread: Connecting z5500's to Standard Speaker Cable

Expensive Sushi

Connecting z5500's to Standard Speaker Cable

I'm looking for a new set of speakers and it seems Logitech's z-5500's are perfect for me. However, I have speaker cable ran in all my walls and the z-5500's are hard wired for an RCA jack. Is there any way I can connect these speakers to my cable in the walls?

Additionally, I have speaker wall mounts I'm currently using for my current 5.1 setup...I know the Logitechs have a speaker mount/stand built into them...is there anyway I'd be able to use my current speaker wall mounts?

Is the speaker wire already connected in some way to your soundcard's output, or through a receiver, or is it not connected to your computer at all yet?
    Audio Setups:
    E-MU 0404 ---toslink---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"
    E-MU 0404 ---analog---> Little Dot II tube amp ---> Beyerdynamics DT880 or Sennheiser HD280 pros.
    Technics SL-1200 MKII ---> TCC TC-750LC Phono Preamp ---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"

Proud Sharky Folding@Home member! (Rank 37 and counting...)

Expensive Sushi
    My current 5.1 setup (Midiland 8200v1) uses standard speaker wire on the satellites and on the amp. So there's the left/right on both ends of the wire which attach to the black/red clips that hold the wire in place. A 1/8" mini plug goes from the amp to the soundcard.

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    You should be able to pickup some RCA plugs from Radioshack. Then just find out if the tip is positive and the base is negative. You should be able to solder the RCA plug right onto the wiring. Do you know what guage wire? Hopefully not a really thin gauge.

Not sure about the wallmounts...

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

Just as a headsup, the newer revision of the Z5500's has speaker jacks on the back of the sats. (no longer RCA connectors; not sure how you tell between the revisions though before ordering...probably best to get at a store where you can return them)
    http://www.insomnia.gr/vb3/showthrea...t=99334&page=4
    http://secure.ncix.com/forumpost/dis...readid=1067905
    Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by soupnazi
    Just as a headsup, the newer revision of the Z5500's has speaker jacks on the back of the sats. (no longer RCA connectors; not sure how you tell between the revisions though before ordering...probably best to get at a store where you can return them)
    http://www.insomnia.gr/vb3/showthrea...t=99334&page=4
    http://secure.ncix.com/forumpost/dis...readid=1067905
    hmmm...I was unaware of that, thanks for the info, Soup. If that's the case I'd just wait till they show up and post a pic.
    Audio Setups:
    E-MU 0404 ---toslink---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"
    E-MU 0404 ---analog---> Little Dot II tube amp ---> Beyerdynamics DT880 or Sennheiser HD280 pros.
    Technics SL-1200 MKII ---> TCC TC-750LC Phono Preamp ---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"

Proud Sharky Folding@Home member! (Rank 37 and counting...)

Expensive Sushi
    From what I've read, there is another version that uses the standard speaker cable which is great.

However, searching on Logitech's forums shows that it is impossible to remove the bottom screw and mount to a normal speaker wall mount. Turns out the bolt goes into a nut. When the bolt is removed the nut will be loose inside the speaker. Really poor design if you ask me.

Thanks for all your help.

yeah, i have the z5500s with standard speaker wire so they're definitely out there. i was tempted to replace the satelites with my micras to see how they sound, but they're already wallmounted in my livingroom
    Last edited by Kero-chan; 06-18-2006 at 01:06 PM.
    Batou's evil twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    im a homosexual but i disliike obama for his non-*** policies
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Why don't you go pick up a case of AIDS.