Who have tivo and don't have what have?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Who have tivo and don't have what have?

Who have tivo and don't have what have?

I have looked at the new Tivo series where it allows you to records up to two channels at a sametime. Are there any other DVR does more than one channel?

My dad has the old 80 hours one, it has been rock solid up until these days.
    Make it Simple

Great White Shark
    Any Multimedia PC with more than two tuner cards can do it.
    You can use www.titantv.com for free program schedules.

Houston, TX mostly. Lima, Peru partiallly.
    The HD-DVR I use from Time Warner does two channels at a time. Even off the HD channels. I believe its the 8300HD.

Great White Shark
    The Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC is a pretty decent box except for the small hard drive.
    I tried to purchase one, but they will only sell to a cable company. I wanted to use one to record OTA HD broadcasts. There are no decent HD tuner cards for a PC. I tried one and it was a waste of money.

I have a scientific atlanta box through cox digital cable. It is very unreliable. I am on my 3rd one. When it works it is awesome. I can record 2 channels at the same time while watching something previously recorded. This 3rd one seems to be working, though. *knock on wood*
    Last edited by joeshmofro; 09-06-2006 at 03:16 AM.
    / __| ||...|| |.\ \ ||./ __|
    \__ \ ||__|| | |\ \ | \__ \
    \___/ \___/ | | .\_| \___/
    ------------------------------------------

Heatware
    Ebay

I'm not sure how much two tuners would help me with my TIVO setup and brighthouse. Brighthouse can only tune to 1 channel at a time.
    AMD T-bird 1.4 stock fan/ Asus A7m266
    512 ddr kingston ram/ win 98/XP
    Gainward Geforce3/ Audigy Gamer
    40Gb 7200 IBM/ 80GB 7200 IBM/ 120GB WD
    KLIPSCH Reference RF7 surround system
    SVS 2231pci (sub)

Great White Shark
    Brighthouse in West Florida uses the 8300HDC box. You can view an HD channel while recording another. I don't know if you can record two channels concurrently, but AFAIK the 8300HDC has 2 tuners.

Houston, TX mostly. Lima, Peru partiallly.
    You can record two but you have to be tuned to either one of them or a recorded program. If your not it will automatically kick you off the station your watching and switch you to one of the shows being recorded (with a few minutes warning first).

Great White Shark
    That makes sense because recording 2 channels plus watching another requires 3 tuners.

I have a weird question

Is it posible to hook up cameras using a DVR to records for security or surveilance purpose?
    Make it Simple

Great White Shark
    Sure. The big IF is the kind of connections your camera have, TV and/or DVR.

For example my TV has 4 firewire ports and a VGA port plus all the usual video ports. It is easy to connect a camera to the TV to view digital stills. I don't have a video camers but they should work as well. anything that can connect to a TV should be able to connect to a DVR.

Ok nice, but I understand you can go out and buy a media center card to build your own DVR. Do you think, it can be build with 2-4 media center cards in the same computer? or only one card will work due to conflict?
    Make it Simple

Great White Shark
    You can put several tuner cards into a PC. However, for HDTV I have yet to find a decent tuner card. Every one I've tried has poorer output than the HD tuner built into my TV.
    Last edited by ua549; 09-08-2006 at 01:22 PM.

The Directv DVR can record 2 channels at ones. Unfortunately it's very glitchy right now and if I wasn't locked into a stupid 2 year contract I'd give them the middle finger and also give up my covetted NFL Sunday Ticket.