Good White-noise machine?

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good White-noise machine?

Hammerhead Shark

Good White-noise machine?

I'm having trouble sleeping due to some unwanted noise, more specifically the bass of people's stereo systems. I was wondering if a white-noise machine would help eliminate some of these noises. I've tried running a fan but I can still hear them. What do you guys think of a machine like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...Date&n=3760901
    Will it help eleminate some of the low bass noises?
    "First rule of MMORPGS:

Everyone who has accomplished more than you has no life; everyone who has accomplished less than you is a noob."

Quote Originally Posted by THESANTINI
    sounds like you are on crack with your idea bro.
    lol

Forget that and tell your neighbors to keep it down. If that doesn't work complain to the manager and if that doesn't work call the cops on them.
    Macbook Pro: Dual Boot: OSX Leopard/Vista Home Premium|2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo|4GB RAM|128MB 8600GT|120GB HDD|Double-layer SuperDrive|1TB Seagate|Logitech VX Nano|Apple Al BT keyboard|ATH-A500|8GB iPhone|

white noise wont work...

If they cant be amicable neighbors youre gonna have to resort to drastic measures. Like playing really loud music when they are trying to sleep...which is proabably anytime between 6 am and 2 pm.

Hammerhead Shark
    The problem is sometimes i party with them, and sometimes I just want to stay in the night..Wouldnt i seem like a hypocrite if I called the cops on them?
    "First rule of MMORPGS:

Everyone who has accomplished more than you has no life; everyone who has accomplished less than you is a noob."

Quote Originally Posted by THESANTINI
    sounds like you are on crack with your idea bro.
    lol

Not if they dont respect you.

A BB or paintball gun and some war paint normally fixes these sort of problems. Or you could try and be diplomatic and all that jazz... but yeah a white noise machine wouldn't help ya here.
    #Download Firefox# Playing: TF2
    [Main Rig]
    [EVGA P55 SLI] [i7 860 @ 3.6] [Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus] [8GB Corsair DDR3 1600]
    [Intel G2 80GB SSD] [MSI GTX260 OC] [NEC ea231wmi] [X-Fi > Z-Audio Lambda > Senn HD-580s]

[Server]
    [MSI K8N Neo4 SLI] [Opteron 175 @ 2.9] [TT Big Typhoon] [2GB Corsair DDR]

Senor Sausage
    To be honest, active noise cancellation sounds fundamentally flawed.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Weistber

Gaming Rig Status: Up
    | i5-2500 | MSI GTX560 | 2x2GB Corsair ValueRam

Games I'm playing: Witcher 2 (PC), RAGE(PC), Fallout: New Vegas (PC), Gears Of War 3 (X360)

Moving, as this is not really a computer audio-related question. And no, a white-noise generator probably won't do a lot of good at canceling out low bass frequencies. Few things will, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Candyman; 08-21-2006 at 03:35 AM.
    Core 2 Duo 6750
    Antec P182
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
    Asus Xonar D2
    Panasonic SA-XR55 / Audio Technica ATH-A900

White noise generator won't help you sleep. Even if it blocked out the sound (which it probably won't), your brain would still be processing the audio from the "white noise".

I found that I sleep so much better once I moved my computers, room fans, and air conditioners out of my bedroom. I think a large part of that is due to the background noise, white as it may be.

So yeah... in your situation, I'd try sleeping with earplugs, or taking steps to ask your neighbors to keep it down.
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Alienware M11x R2 | Core i5 520UM | 4GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD | nVidia GeForce 335M GPU | 11.6" WLED Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 4.5lbs

come on man... just wake up at 6am and blast black sabbath through a pair of JBL stadium series.... fairies wear boots would be good....cause smokin and trippin is all that you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549
    In Canada you'd probably have to wait at least 30 days to get a broken arm fixed.

Biostar TZ77B
    i5-3570k@4.5ghz
    Hyper 212+
    16GB Samsung DDR3
    Dual 19" Syncmaster 953bw
    Samsung DVD-RW
    480GB PNY SSD
    1.5 TB WD Green SATA
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB Seagate

3.0 TB Seagate External
    4.0 TB Seagate External

powerofcheese im so empathetic to you, when i used to rent flats i had terrible neighbours as i live in a whoremongering disgusting area in the UK where people disrespect others and themselves and its a constant party town and somewhere where countries should calibrate their nukes towards as a target. I tried everything, reasoning with them, retaliation with noise, police, enviromental health, landlord/letting agents, placing rotten animals like fish by their apartment hidden, etc etc etc. Thats why i ended up buying a place because i hated living around those kind of people, now most of my neighbours are 70+.

I used foam earplugs (£2 from chemists) and industrial ear defenders (£5 from builders yard) and that did the trick! and blocked out all noise. Drawbacks are that its quite uncomfortable and takes getting used to wearing and also you have to adapt your alarm clock, in my case my radio woke me in the mornings by feeding an earplug insdie the ear defenders. A real pain but some people cant be controlled and the authorities can take years just to start any kind of action.

Goldfish
    ear plugs - ear muffs - wax all seem to do the trick - but for the REAL solution - get married - you get so used to the bla bla bla bla bla that you learn to start tuning out the world ... and don't hear much of anything any more !!! YAY for marriage ...

ROTFL ... getting married would be a good solution and cheaper than a house .....................

(wish i had thought of that!)

I've been pretty lucky so far in my housing accomodations. When I lived in dorms, I was by some store room or equipment room or something and a room of a couple pretty quiet guys. I've never really had loud neighbors anywhere I've lived, and I've never had problems with people stomping around in the apartment over my head.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Cheese, have you tried going to sleep to music that you like at night? Or having the tv on when you go to sleep? The tv will probably be kind of tough to get used to, but if you can do it it should help a little. Though bass is pretty hard to ignore/get rid of. Good luck.

Corsair 550vx
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
    C2D e6750 @ 2.66
    2 gig ram
    Asus Radeon 4850
    Audigy 2