Force a drive letter for a digi camera in XP?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Force a drive letter for a digi camera in XP?

Force a drive letter for a digi camera in XP?

I am having a hard time with my digital camera. Basically I am trying to do some data recovery on my kodak camera with a 2gb sd card in it. I can't get the card to read in the card reader, but it does work in the camera. When I plug the camera into the pc it comes up under cameras and scanners and it does not have a drive letter in XP. All the recovery software will only look up drives with letters I am going crazy. I tried it on my win2k box, but the software doesn't seem to even work in win2k.I am not positive the software will work but I would like to try it.

Previous Post Here is my previous post trying to get help on my data recovery.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    XBOX Live: Vohnkar

P4 E8400 DUO
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
    PNY 9600GT 512
    2gb Corsair

Great White Shark
    When you put the card into the card reader, what is shown in Disk Manager?
    All you may have to do is mount the volume.

It says insert disk.....
    What be this mounting thing, pray tell?

P4 E8400 DUO
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
    PNY 9600GT 512
    2gb Corsair

Great White Shark
    Mounting and unmounting are processes the make a volume available or not available to the operating system. One example is a formatted but unlettered drive can be mounted in an empty folder on another drive and access through the mount point (empty folder). Even a lettered volume can be mounted in an empty folder on another volume. This is done via Disk Manager, however if the device does not show up there you are out of luck.

It sounds like the card is in a format that is not recognized by Windows. Has it ever been accessed via Windows?

yes, the whole problem is that it got corrupted in my camera. I don't want to format it because I want to try and get the pics off it first. I would only be able to format it from the camera as it is. I can get some of the info when the camera is plugged in, but the recovery software won't go to the camera because it doesn't have a letter drive.

When i put the card in my card reader the light blinks on it then dies...and then says no card is there. Could I mount the camera to a folder? I can see the camera in win2k as a drive, but none of the softwares worked in 2k.

Any ideas are great as I am lost here. I really want these pics....I took 1200 pics on my Italy honeymoon.

P4 E8400 DUO
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
    PNY 9600GT 512
    2gb Corsair

Quote Originally Posted by stephenator75
    Any ideas are great as I am lost here. I really want these pics....I took 1200 pics on my Italy honeymoon.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok... what about getting a DIFFERENT chip-based card reader? look into the controller chip for the card reader and make sure you get one that uses a different chip.

Hmm...I have no idea what chip it is. I am just using the card reader in my epson all in one. Perhaps I will just run by a store tonight and get a sandisk one.

P4 E8400 DUO
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
    PNY 9600GT 512
    2gb Corsair

Great White Shark
    If you can get a drive letter when it is on a Win2k machine, can you share the volume and access it from your WinXP machine and run the recovery software from there?

Also a good idea. I will have to look to see if the software supports networking. I have been using demoes and will buy one if they can find the pics. Let's hope one of them will do that.

P4 E8400 DUO
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
    PNY 9600GT 512
    2gb Corsair

Great White Shark
    The software may not need to support networking. Use Windows Explorer to map the network share to a Windows XP assigned drive letter.
    Last edited by ua549; 09-08-2006 at 04:41 PM.

okies well i got the camera networked. how do i give it a drive letter? It just comes up as a folder.

P4 E8400 DUO
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
    PNY 9600GT 512
    2gb Corsair

Great White Shark
    In Windows Explorer, Tools select Map Network Drive. Select a drive letter to use and enter the share. From that point the share can be referenced by the letter you assigned.