Best driver for old Radeon 9600 XT?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Best driver for old Radeon 9600 XT?

Goldfish

Best driver for old Radeon 9600 XT?

Im running into problems with an old Radeon 9600 XT on an Asus A7V motherboard. It has a apg pro/4x slot on it, all the system drivers are up to date. ATI.com shows the latest greatest catylist drivers as that cards driver, even tho its pretty old.

I rember when I used to have one myself, that the latest drivers were the WORST thing to put on it, and you needed an older driver set. I have forgotten what that older set is. 4.3 maybe?

Basicly the problem is this, I swapped out an radeon 8500. Installed the catylist drivers (latest ones), it rebooted, and locked up during the video test mode it does with new driver installs (including the login screen has a bunch of graphical garbage all over it, was able to log in, it started testing, bam, locked and the monitor signal got no signal). After hard reboot, I was able to get into windows, change resolutions etc. The video of the car in the control center does not show up, neither does the video in the video tab. Diablo 2's video test program detects nothing, and says the computer cant run it, fails with a direct3d rendering error. Any other graphical program doesnt run, or crashes after awhile (even heroes of might and magic 2, very graphical intensive!).

This card has a story to it as well. I had a 9600xt for a year or so and it failed on me. I bought a new card, and sent in the old one to ATI as an RMA. They tested the old one, found out it was bad, and was still under warrenty, sent me this "white box" card (brand new). I haven't touched it till now, installing it into a friends pc.

System specs:
    AMD Athlon 1ghz on Asus A7V motherboard
    ~400 megs ram (1x256mb chip and 1x128mb) memtest stable 24hrs
    Radeon 8500 swapped out for 9600xt
    Seagate 40gig 7200 rpm drive ata100
    3com network card
    Sound blaster 16 card
    Cheap-o lucent winmodem

PCI slot 2 and 1 open (2 = known irq problem with board, 1 = to close to video card)

Mako Shark
    Did you run catunistaller to remove the old drivers before installing the new ones?

edit: and I would use the latest drivers -- in fact I just did a couple days ago for an old 9600 and it works fine.
    Last edited by RealBeast; 12-02-2006 at 01:58 PM.

I've got a 9600XT (is not 'old' just 'experienced' :P) in the system I'm writing this on. With the new Catalysts I got some missing textures and weird things in a couple of games.

Installing the Omega Drivers fixed the issues I had. Might be worth a try:

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati/win2k_xp.php
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 | Corsair PC2-6400 DDR2, 2GB.
    Inno3D 8800GT, 512MB | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
    Samsung 205BW, 20" WS LCD | E-Yama 17JN1, 17" LCD.
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P | Hiper Type-R, 530W (580W Max).
    Seagate ST3500320AS, 500GB | Pioneer DVR-108.

Goldfish
    I actually think its a problem with the A7V board. Its an AGP Pro/AGP 4x slot. A Radeon 8500 works fine in the system, with that older catylist driver that ati/amd has for it. The card is overkill for that system anyway, so im not going to try anymore.