Who makes the best SD card?

Sharky Forums

View Poll Results: Who makes the best SD card?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kingston

0 0%
  • Corsair

0 0%
  • Transcend

2 25.00%
  • SanDisk

5 62.50%
  • Patriot

0 0%
  • Panasonic

1 12.50%
  • PNY

0 0%
  • Crucial

0 0%
  • ATP

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best SD card?

Who makes the best SD card?

I heard ATP was the best, but I want to know what you sharks think.
    / __| ||...|| |.\ \ ||./ __|
    \__ \ ||__|| | |\ \ | \__ \
    \___/ \___/ | | .\_| \___/
    ------------------------------------------

Heatware
    Ebay

All the same. There's only two actual "memory manufacturers" in that list anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist
    All the same. There's only two actual "memory manufacturers" in that list anyway.
    really? so its basically a crap shoot?

Heatware
    Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by joeshmofro
    really? so its basically a crap shoot?
    I've never had an SD card go bad on me. It's pretty much all branding AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist
    I've never had an SD card go bad on me. It's pretty much all branding AFAIK.
    well then i guess I'll just go with whatever is cheap.

Heatware
    Ebay

They're all the same. The only difference in SD cards is capacity, and read/write speed, both of which are independent of manufacturer.

Go with whatever is cheap.
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Alienware M11x R2 | Core i5 520UM | 4GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD | nVidia GeForce 335M GPU | 11.6" WLED Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 4.5lbs

Great White Shark
    I'd go with the fastest read/write speed especially if you are going to use the SD card in a camera. I bought 10 2GB 150x Transcend cards for a new camera to use on a recent trip to the Med.

I've never had an SD failure. I use them in cameras, GPS and the microSD in my cell phone.

Pick the specs you need to match the device - size and speed. Then go for price and warranty. Note that some devices are limited to 2GB because of the file system they use.

I've had 2 SD cards fail, and 1 MemoryStick. The MS and 1 SD were Lexar, so I refuse to buy their flash memory anymore. The other SD was a SanDisk, which is apparently a pretty common problem with their Ultra line.

I usually buy on performance, but all things equal I'll choose SanDisk since they are an actual manufacturer and not just a reseller.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Hammerhead Shark
    well it is more complicated that this.

for general use like PDA and Cameras any will do just get the fastest one and make sure it is made in japan cos they live longer.

but if u intend to use them in special gadjets and so well it is not a fixed thing

like movie players , mod chips (aka nintendo DS mods) , PSP , or any special hardware that uses SD.

these cases even a same company product has failers and success in performance issues and compatabilities.

but so far for me sanddisk and kingston never failed to run in any device i used. while the panasonic failed to run at all in one of my special devices .

also for movie playback , surprisingly sometimes faster SD cards perform slower than normal speed cards may be this is releated to the way the card work or the reader inside the machine reads/writes. I am no expert on these .. but the best thing is trial and error.

but in general

sandisk and kingston never failed , some performed slower than others but never failed in anything i tried

Panasonic are great for cameras , but the high speed one didnt work in one mod , and one korean movie player at all.

in PDA all seem alike , cos PDA reader/writer has the limit of 6m/s read write (this is 2 years ago experience maybe it is better now).
    My first PC...Apple //e 1982
    Then a Mac
    switch 1-Amiga 2000
    switch 2-386SX
    Then 486 DX4 100
    Then PIII 500
    Then P4 2.53B
    Now (upgraded)
    2.4 AMDX2 ,ASUS SLI ,nf4ultra,2G DDR400
    X1900XT,2x Raptors 74 in raid 0,300G MAXTOR SATA2/16cache/ncq ,Lian-Liv1000,Enermax 600WATT,NEC 16x DVDr,SB aud.card,BlueTooth keyb+mouse

Coming soon

Quad core Intel

I always use SanDisk because they're a manufactured, not just a rebrander. Plus Staples had a hell of a deal on 2GB Ultras.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (Tuniq Tower 120) - DFI Lanparty LT P35-T2R - 8GB Corsair DDR2-800 - eVGA GTX 275 SC - SoundBlaster X-Fi - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB - Seagate 7200.10 750GB (2) - Western Digital 1.5TB Green (2) - Western Digital 2TB Green - WINDy-Soldam MT-Pro 1700 - Antec Signature 850W- HP LP2475W (H-IPS) - Samsung 204B (TN) - Alienware Ozma 7 Headphones - Windows 7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Plus Staples had a hell of a deal on 2GB Ultras.
    Because that's the specific version that had endless problems with data corruption and loss.

I own 2 myself. Just do a regular backup.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him... The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Assassin
    Because that's the specific version that had endless problems with data corruption and loss.

I own 2 myself. Just do a regular backup.
    I'm going to korea for a while and probably won't have a computer readily accesssible to me. I plan on taking photos and then sending the cards home through the mail. So you wouldnt recommend the Ultra II's for that?

Heatware
    Ebay

Great White Shark
    That's what I used my 10 cards for. I filled all but half of one card. I kept possession of them so they wouldn't get lost or damaged in transit. I was only gone for a couple of weeks though.

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by joeshmofro
    I'm going to korea for a while and probably won't have a computer readily accesssible to me. I plan on taking photos and then sending the cards home through the mail. So you wouldnt recommend the Ultra II's for that?
    Korea is a broadband heaven.. I dont think u ll have any trouble finding an accessable PC with broadband connection in cafes , restaurants , or hotels.

If u have a PDA with WIFI , u can access the net also and send them in many places with wifi net (again Hotels cafes and even university campus)

If u want to send cards through the mail , password protect them just in case.
    Last edited by sna; 01-05-2007 at 04:41 AM.
    My first PC...Apple //e 1982
    Then a Mac
    switch 1-Amiga 2000
    switch 2-386SX
    Then 486 DX4 100
    Then PIII 500
    Then P4 2.53B
    Now (upgraded)
    2.4 AMDX2 ,ASUS SLI ,nf4ultra,2G DDR400
    X1900XT,2x Raptors 74 in raid 0,300G MAXTOR SATA2/16cache/ncq ,Lian-Liv1000,Enermax 600WATT,NEC 16x DVDr,SB aud.card,BlueTooth keyb+mouse

Coming soon

Quad core Intel

Quote Originally Posted by sna
    Korea is a broadband heaven.. I dont think u ll have any trouble finding an accessable PC with broadband connection in cafes , restaurants , or hotels.

If u have a PDA with WIFI , u can access the net also and send them in many places with wifi net (again Hotels cafes and even university campus)

If u want to send cards through the mail , password protect them just in case.
    What would be a good way to send them from say a hotel computer? Seems like photos would be too big and take way to long to send that way. Password protecting them is a good idea.

Heatware
    Ebay