Windows not updating?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Windows not updating?

Expensive Sushi

Windows not updating?

I was working on a customers PC and he said for some reason he hasnt been able to get the windows update to work. I checked the services and things it all was running. I went into automatic update via the control panel and everything was grayed out and i couldnt select the proper settings. It was set to turn off though. I went into the security center and clicked the turn on button and then a error box came up telling me to go to the automatic updates thru control panel. Anyway to get around this without reloading? It didnt have any virus's or spyware which rules that out.

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    it might be the only option you have left.

Has the customer been deleating lots of stuff off that computer???
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

Expensive Sushi
    No he hasn't. He primarily surfs the web and was trying to install a symantec app and it wouldnt let him since he didnt have .net framework 1.1. So i downloaded that from microsoft but he doesnt have any of the critical updates and such. I went in IE and tried to to do update that way and the only thing it had to install was just the horrible genuine software.

Quote Originally Posted by deeds4life
    No he hasn't. He primarily surfs the web and was trying to install a symantec app and it wouldnt let him since he didnt have .net framework 1.1. So i downloaded that from microsoft but he doesnt have any of the critical updates and such. I went in IE and tried to to do update that way and the only thing it had to install was just the horrible genuine software.
    If the system is a domain member, GP could be preventing users from asking for updates. Or......the OS could be BootLeg and MS has locked them out of updates. Local GP could also be locking him out.
    Last edited by Thermo; 01-21-2007 at 05:19 PM.

check M$'s database, i specifically had this problem a couple of years back, the fix was easy as pie, simple registry fixola. They make it easy....

baldy
    I am gettin too old for all this st.ff!

Specs? it runs.................

Tbird quotes:

"I dont care that much for gaming"
    "I am done with 3dmark."

AsRock 970 Extreme4,Vishera 8320 @4.6, Vertex 4 256GB SataIII SSD, 2xVelociraptor 600GB 10,000 spinner in raid 0 storage....16g Gskill DDR3 2133 @2292, ATI 6850, back on huge air (quiet)....HP Laptop redone OS (ie, no HP krud), AMD Phenom II N620, 8gig DDR3 1333 ram, Sanddisk SataII 120GB SSD, Toshiba 500GB 7200 spinner...

Expensive Sushi
    yea its not on a domain. It might not be a ligit copy. Ok well that solve my question. Thanks guys.

even IF it is not a legit copy, if you turn on Auto update in Winders, it works for everything except the new Media Player 11, the new IE7, and some office updates..............

again, easy registry fix..

baldy
    Last edited by bldegle2; 01-21-2007 at 05:28 PM.
    I am gettin too old for all this st.ff!

Specs? it runs.................

Tbird quotes:

"I dont care that much for gaming"
    "I am done with 3dmark."

AsRock 970 Extreme4,Vishera 8320 @4.6, Vertex 4 256GB SataIII SSD, 2xVelociraptor 600GB 10,000 spinner in raid 0 storage....16g Gskill DDR3 2133 @2292, ATI 6850, back on huge air (quiet)....HP Laptop redone OS (ie, no HP krud), AMD Phenom II N620, 8gig DDR3 1333 ram, Sanddisk SataII 120GB SSD, Toshiba 500GB 7200 spinner...