case request - smallish, super-cooling, quiet

Sharky Forums

Thread: case request - smallish, super-cooling, quiet

Catfish

case request - smallish, super-cooling, quiet

i am looking to build a new comp that will be living inside a custom built shelf/desk. it needs to be reasonably small - atx form factor is fine i think. it has to cool well, as i dont want to have to do any drastic cooling measures (i will if i have to). i will be cutting some vents into the shelf for cross air flow - i dont want to have to do more then that. if i need to get drastic, i will cut a hole in the floor and pipe up air from underneath the house.

as it will be mostly enclosed, it doesnt need to be super quiet, but i do appreciate low noise.

this wont be a barn burner OC up the wazoo pc - mostly email, web, photo editing, etc.

im probably going to cut a gromet hole in the top to feed the video cable through, and maybe a usb hub, and then i may actually be able to clean up the desk top

will be posting a similiar thread about the most stable, coolest running, motherboard to go with a core 2 duo chip. mb needs to fit in aforementioned case!

Catfish
    after doing some of my own research, im tending towards either:
    silverstone SG01 or
    ultra microfly

silverstone solution looks to be a bunch pricier, but sexier, and just a better made product.

Check out the Antec 1650 or 3000 series cases
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ASUS P6X58D-E | 3 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 2000 6-9-6-24 | EVGA GTX 580 DS SC | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD | WD VelociRaptor | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200W | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

I'm going to use the Silverstone mentioned by jahman for my Linux box.

It's a really nice case and the best SFF box I've yet seen.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (Tuniq Tower 120) - DFI Lanparty LT P35-T2R - 8GB Corsair DDR2-800 - eVGA GTX 275 SC - SoundBlaster X-Fi - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB - Seagate 7200.10 750GB (2) - Western Digital 1.5TB Green (2) - Western Digital 2TB Green - WINDy-Soldam MT-Pro 1700 - Antec Signature 850W- HP LP2475W (H-IPS) - Samsung 204B (TN) - Alienware Ozma 7 Headphones - Windows 7 Ultimate

Catfish
    what mobo are you going to use? am intrigued by the linux factor.

Quote Originally Posted by jahman
    what mobo are you going to use? am intrigued by the linux factor.
    I'm not sure, in fact I just posted in the Motherboard Forum for recommendations on a good microATX motherboard. I'm set on an nVidia chipset, ATi's drivers for Linux are bad for their GPUs and I would suspect they're the same for the core logic.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (Tuniq Tower 120) - DFI Lanparty LT P35-T2R - 8GB Corsair DDR2-800 - eVGA GTX 275 SC - SoundBlaster X-Fi - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB - Seagate 7200.10 750GB (2) - Western Digital 1.5TB Green (2) - Western Digital 2TB Green - WINDy-Soldam MT-Pro 1700 - Antec Signature 850W- HP LP2475W (H-IPS) - Samsung 204B (TN) - Alienware Ozma 7 Headphones - Windows 7 Ultimate

Mako Shark
    I'm building a rig for a friend right now with a Shuttle SN27P2/Athlon 5000+/Leadtek 7900 since there are no good Conroe SFF boxes yet.

Easy build and running nicely during the burn in trial so far. Unlike some user reviews that I saw on Neweg, the case is well made with perfect fits for all connections.