Where to buy nice 2.1 speakers?

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy nice 2.1 speakers?

Expensive Sushi

Where to buy nice 2.1 speakers?

I'm in the middle of a massive upgrade and I am stuck on one component: Speakers. I need a really nice set of 2.1 speakers. I have been looking at the Abit Idome speakers, but I can't seem to find them anywhere reliable. Newegg only seems to carry logitech & altec these days and I just don't want to go down that route. Any suggestions on a store that would carry high quality 2.1 setups?

What do you mean by "high quality"? Altec 2.1 MX5021(?) are awesome!! If you gave us an idea on what you were looking for, we could go from there...

Are you looking to drive these straight out of your computer?

A budget would be nice as well.
    Core 2 Duo 6750
    Antec P182
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
    Asus Xonar D2
    Panasonic SA-XR55 / Audio Technica ATH-A900

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by Candyman
    Are you looking to drive these straight out of your computer?

A budget would be nice as well.
    I would like to drive the speakers directly out of my computer. I will get a receiver some day, but not today. My ceiling is $300, but I should be able to get some awesome speakers for that.

I guess what I want are some speakers that will make my music sound really good. I am not an audiophile, but I still like good quality speakers. Recently, I have been looking into Kplisch, and Abit iDomes, but I am open to any reccomendations.

In that case, I'd recommend either the Altec Lansing MX5021 or the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. The Klipsch system should have a bit more bass, but the MX5021s have better-sounding satellites.
    Core 2 Duo 6750
    Antec P182
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
    Asus Xonar D2
    Panasonic SA-XR55 / Audio Technica ATH-A900

Since you have $300 for a nice setup, I would stay away from "Multimedia" speakers from Creative, Altec Lansing, Klipsch, etc.

I would say, go with Swans M200 self-amplified bookshelf speakers for around $200, and get a Dayton 10" Subwoofer for $90, and put the set together yourself. It will sound a LOT better than anything you can buy in a "computer superstore"
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Alienware M11x R2 | Core i5 520UM | 4GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD | nVidia GeForce 335M GPU | 11.6" WLED Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 4.5lbs

Quote Originally Posted by proxops-pete
    What do you mean by "high quality"? Altec 2.1 MX5021(?) are awesome!! If you gave us an idea on what you were looking for, we could go from there...
    Altec Lansing discontinued these speakers. =[

I was gonna get some for work, but can't find them anywhere.
    Currently Playing: DOTA 2, XCOM Enemy Unknown

I can't find them either. What do you guys think about the AL FX6021 speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Fig
    Altec Lansing discontinued these speakers. =[

I was gonna get some for work, but can't find them anywhere.
    Ouch!! Really?!!
    If and when my Klipsch 2.1 died out, I was planning on replacing them with MX5021! Oh well... time to look at used market again, I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by kent1146
    Since you have $300 for a nice setup, I would stay away from "Multimedia" speakers from Creative, Altec Lansing, Klipsch, etc.

I would say, go with Swans M200 self-amplified bookshelf speakers for around $200, and get a Dayton 10" Subwoofer for $90, and put the set together yourself. It will sound a LOT better than anything you can buy in a "computer superstore"
    I agree, if you have that kind of budget go with the Swans, they should be much better sounding than anything from Altec or Klipsch, as they are nearly full size bookshelfs.

I haven't had a set of multimedia speakers for years, after I got my Axiom M2s, and a decent reciever and sub... never will I go back. The difference is huge.

Getting the Swans and a Dayton sub is nearly as nice as having a reciever and bookshelfs, so go with that.
    "I am strong. I can throw a rock and hit a gypsy from 15 meter!"

Quote Originally Posted by Idiot356
    I agree, if you have that kind of budget go with the Swans, they should be much better sounding than anything from Altec or Klipsch, as they are nearly full size bookshelfs.

I haven't had a set of multimedia speakers for years, after I got my Axiom M2s, and a decent reciever and sub... never will I go back. The difference is huge.

Getting the Swans and a Dayton sub is nearly as nice as having a reciever and bookshelfs, so go with that.
    I have a modded EM0404, Swans and until a few weeks ago the Dayton sub and while it did sound great.

However, my sub died about a month and I've been thinking of getting:
    * Panasonic SA-XR55S
    * Axiom M3 V2
    * Possibly SVS PB10 or whatever the model number is

I can't decide though. I'm torn between getting the above setup or an HDTV.

I hate decisions like this. I just bought a house so I likely won't have a large chunk of change like this to throw around for a while so that also is why I'm so indecisive.
    Currently Playing: DOTA 2, XCOM Enemy Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Fig
    I have a modded EM0404, Swans and until a few weeks ago the Dayton sub and while it did sound great.

However, my sub died about a month and I've been thinking of getting:
    * Panasonic SA-XR55S
    * Axiom M3 V2
    * Possibly SVS PB10 or whatever the model number is

I can't decide though. I'm torn between getting the above setup or an HDTV.

I hate decisions like this. I just bought a house so I likely won't have a large chunk of change like this to throw around for a while so that also is why I'm so indecisive.
    Can't comment on the reciever and sub, but I freaking love my Axiom speakers and I will probably never get rid of them. But I know the SVS sub is awesome and if you combine it with the Axioms you'll be blown away I think.
    "I am strong. I can throw a rock and hit a gypsy from 15 meter!"

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by kent1146

That doesn't sounds like a bad idea at all. I am curious what sort of outputs I will need on my sound card and what is involved in setting it up? Also, do you know of any reliable stores that sell this speaker and sub? Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by c00lm
    That doesn't sounds like a bad idea at all. I am curious what sort of outputs I will need on my sound card and what is involved in setting it up? Also, do you know of any reliable stores that sell this speaker and sub? Thanks for the input!
    You will need:
    1x MiniStereo (male) to RCA Cable
    1x RCA to RCA Cable
    1x Pair of Swans M200 Speakers

1x Dayton 10" Subwoofer

The only thing you will need from your sound card is the usual Stereo Output jack (or Front Speaker jack, if you have a 5.1 surround card).

Connect the output from your Sound Card directly in to your subwoofer. Then connect your subwoofer to your speakers using the RCA-to-RCA cables. The subwoofer acts as a low-pass filter, by filtering out all of the low frequencies (ie, <50Hz, but is adjustable) and playing them through the subwoofer. The high frequencies (ie, >50Hz, but is adjustable) are then sent to your speakers.
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Alienware M11x R2 | Core i5 520UM | 4GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD | nVidia GeForce 335M GPU | 11.6" WLED Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 4.5lbs

Hammerhead Shark
    I would highly recommend: Creative I-Trigue 3300 which will run you between 60-80 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836116120

The sound is superb for the price. There is no distortion even at max volume and bass level. The highs and lows remain clear throughout. Handy little volume and subwoofer control as well. You dont need a creative labs sound card. I recommended this to my buddy who is using onboard drivers on his dell 3000 and they still sound nice.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p