Just a little retailer bashing

Sharky Forums

Thread: Just a little retailer bashing

Just a little retailer bashing

Before I begin, let it be known that I do work for a major retailer (not Wal Mart) and I value my job. But let it also be known that big business will screw the hell out of the average Joe that walks into the store, along with all those employees in the store and its warehouses. I've seen it, I've experienced it.

As you know, there are many forum users of other websites that get sale ads early from the big 3 (Target, BB, and CC) and will generally post the upcoming game and dvd sales. Apparently, one such user is now in trouble with Circuit City for posting the $100 price break on the PS3 about 10 days early (7/5).

Now, I'm not a lawyer by any stretch, but all I had to do was search for news about a $100 price reduction on the PS3 and the first website with this news was dated 7/9 - 6 days before CC's sale. Also, I found rumors about the drop dated 6/15 on another technology news website.

One of the things I find most humorous in the suit is that CC claims this guy is repsonsible for PS3 sales losses between 7/7 and 7/15. Due to his post, CC lost revenue because people waited. Okay.....so if CC lost revenue because this guy posted the (by then) known price break early, why does CC give people refunds when the price drops up to a MONTH AFTER purchase? Isn't THAT a revenue LOSS? And if every person that shops there doesn't understand to go back up there and get your money back on a sale item, isn't that taking advantage of the consumer?

I understand there are trade secrets and such, but this was not a Circuit City "secret". How could it be a secret that all retailers will be selling the PS3 for $100 less when it was announced a week before the sunday ads? I do think this guy will probably get in some trouble for posting a photo of the ad, but is he really guilty of releasing a "secret" and "loss of revenue" as CC states in its court claim? And lastly, if anything, wouldn't this generate interest in the store by showing people what they will have on sale? Oh, that's right....they might wait to purchase and CC would lose revenue. Whooops, forgot about that.

Edit: Mods, sorry I posted to game forum. Please move to Megamouth.
    Last edited by PowerCreep; 08-23-2007 at 10:53 AM.

loss of revenue...cry me a river...

edit: now I'm curious as to how many PS3s sold after the price drop and how many were from Circuit City.
    Last edited by JDC; 08-23-2007 at 12:37 PM.

They are not suing him to recover losses they are suing him to scare other employee's into never doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Recon
    They are not suing him to recover losses they are suing him to scare other employee's into never doing it again.
    Well, yeah...that too. Although, I doubt that they'll win any compensation don't think for a minute they wouldn't take it if they could.

I agree with Recon, looks like they needed a scapegoat to hang to scare the other peasants from doing the same thing. But I don't think it'll have the same effect they want it to. People will still know early. Always. And they'll leak it.

I would think that because people waited, that they then ran in and ransacked the place of PS3s because they wanted to save money.

PowerCreep is right, what is the point of refunding people for purchases made a month prior to the pricedrop... having this guy say there is a sale early and having people wait initially creates the same thing.

Scenario #1: People buy as usual. Let's say there are 10 PS3s. So within a month lets say all ten get bought before the pricedrop. Yay CC you made $6,000 or w/e. Price drop. People come in and get refunds (had they bought a month prior).... ok so take away $1000 for a total of $5000. Everyone is happy.

Scenario #2: People are buying as usual. 10 PS3s. Guy posted ad about sale. People stop buying and wait. Sale hits, people buy. 10x500 = $5000. Same amount as before.

I'm sure there is more to it than that, but I don't get it either. Maybe the amount of money they could have made from interest by having that cash sit in a bank before handing out refunds could have proved useful? Pfft.