Censorship, for your reading pleasure...

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Censorship, for your reading pleasure...

Senor Sausage

Censorship, for your reading pleasure...

http://kotaku.com/gaming/china/china...ons-275950.php
    http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/07/03...pease-censors/
    Heh. I don't know what to say.

Edit: It's true the Chinese respect their dead a great deal, but I still don't get the big deal. I'm guessing it's as logical as our chewing gum ban.

If you want to talk about culture, Chinese ghosts can be plenty scary. Their quite powerful, a lot of mediums channel them directly from China. Through telephone even...

I'm not joking.
    Last edited by Transfurzz; 08-21-2007 at 02:26 AM.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Weistber

Gaming Rig Status: Up
    | i5-2500 | MSI GTX560 | 2x2GB Corsair ValueRam

Games I'm playing: Witcher 2 (PC), RAGE(PC), Fallout: New Vegas (PC), Gears Of War 3 (X360)

Hu Jintao, Chinese president, has called for action to 'purify' the internet
    Now there's someone trying to sweep back the ocean with a broom.

Quote Originally Posted by Transfurzz
    If you want to talk about culture, Chinese ghosts can be plenty scary. Their quite powerful, a lot of mediums channel them directly from China. Through telephone even...

I'm not joking.

Whaaaaaaat?

what what what.......

ya im spamming...and i apologize...something about that last 1300 posts is bugging me...i want my avatar...quagmire is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Recon
    ya im spamming...and i apologize...something about that last 1300 posts is bugging me...i want my avatar...quagmire is coming!

Even though it's annoying we forgive you. Not really.

EDIT: In case it is misunderstood, this was a joke albeit prolly not really funny.
    Last edited by Fig; 08-22-2007 at 03:43 AM.
    Currently Playing: DOTA 2, XCOM Enemy Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Recon
    GIGGITY GIGGITY GOO!

Senor Sausage
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBeanPole17
    Whaaaaaaat?
    No joke. Here's an example.

You will take the place of some dude in this narrative.

*Your wife is dying from cancer, at home, her heartbeat just stopped* (On a sidenote the woman refuses to take her morphine, go figure. You don't even like her much anyway. But hell are you going to play havoc with her lifeforce. )

You call up a medium in China.

Some dude: "Yo there !"

Medium: "*** you want ? It's 3 am here."

Some dude: "Me wife heart just stopped..."

Medium: "Alright, I'll assume your incredibly dim and will do exactly as I say."

Some dude: "Uh-huh !"

Medium: "Repeat after me... yabba dabba doo.. say that as fast as you can until I tell you to stop."

Some dude: "Yabby-dibby-day !"

Medium: "In the meantime, I'll rock back and forth, you place your hand on your wife's body."

*Medium thinks 'imbecile moved away from China, totally messed with his speech... how very inferior of him...'*

Some dude: "Where ?"

Medium: "Anywhere your comftable with...."

*Sometime later you enter a trance, constantly saying 'yabby-dibby-day'*

*You feel a force enter you, hell I don't know... I've never been possessed...*

*Either way your wife sorta regains her heartbeat and is out of danger*

Wife: "Why are you holding my chest ?"

No offence, but I think if I was actually serious about this I would spook some of you Americans. It's black magic, this type of stuff actually happens. I know the Woman, she's a close friend of my mother, who refused to take her painkillers and was in the more advanced stages of cancer. She must have been channeling a spirit for a somewhat long time, as her doctors have remarked it as being "humanly impossible". You might not know this, but even you Yanks consider Singaporean doctors among the best in the world. Two months ago, her heart stopped beating while she was lying in bed. Her husband who she wasn't even on good terms with channeled a spirit into her to keep her alive.

Of course this is all taboo to me and your probably wondering why I speak so lightly of it if I consider it real. Thing is, the woman pretty much has a lot of hate from my family. She would pull my mother away from the family at the stupidest times for the stupidest things. She was so incredibly irritating even on her deathbed, that no one except my mother agreed to help her. Being the family, we couldn't help but support my mother.

Also consider this, Singapore has one of the highest literacy rates in the world. Your talking about a first-world country.

Oh yeah, of course the medium gets paid.

It's really deeply rooted in my culture, so I have a lot of this stuff or 'nonsense' as many of you put it so aptly.
    Last edited by Transfurzz; 08-22-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Games I'm playing: Witcher 2 (PC), RAGE(PC), Fallout: New Vegas (PC), Gears Of War 3 (X360)

I don't understand what you mean by "medium."

When I hear medium I think of "What is used to produce something," ie the printer is the medium that produces the paper.

Anyway... coming from a scientific/medical background what you just described is impossible. Something else is going on. I don't want to get into an argument about it because I won't change my position... but it was a very good and interesting story to read. I'm not sure I should be glad she was ok or upset since you said your family didn't like her... heh. But you said deathbed so I'm assuming she passed in the long run?

Senor Sausage
    I don't understand what you mean by "medium."

When I hear medium I think of "What is used to produce something," ie the printer is the medium that produces the paper.

Anyway... coming from a scientific/medical background what you just described is impossible. Something else is going on. I don't want to get into an argument about it because I won't change my position... but it was a very good and interesting story to read. I'm not sure I should be glad she was ok or upset since you said your family didn't like her... heh. But you said deathbed so I'm assuming she passed in the long run?
    It's alright, you don't have to believe it. Take it as a ghost story. Yes, she passed on. Such stuff is only capable of prolonging a person's life. The scary thing is that she was in the advanced stages of cancer. She scared the crap out of all relatives by appearing incredibly happy and comftable just after her 'revival'. They all gathered at her house as they thought they were coming to pay their last respects before she got sent to the undertaker.

It doesn't even compute much to me either, I myself find it hard to believe that magic that strong even exists. It's one of the more weird going-ons in the Asian paranormal. I'm taking a computer engineering diploma, so I'm no country bumpkin' too.

A medium is a person capable of channeling spirits. In other words, they trip with ghosts. It's the buisness, thing, they make a living out of it, they help people who aren't 'blessed' with the third-eye deal with the paranormal when it gets out of hand. They can also of course be contacted for stuff out of their normal line of work. Such as what I said above.

~Link that explains it in a more definitive manner. I think I covered it pretty well though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediumship

It was breast cancer by the way, I feel kinda bad now.

edit: It's not your usual run-of-the-mill ghost story. The less serious ones you hear from Asia are usually purely for enjoyment. That doesn't mean they are real. In fact, I have relatives on both sides of my family who are mediums. A recent incident just convinced my elder brother he's got the third eye too.
    Last edited by Transfurzz; 08-22-2007 at 02:36 PM.

It's alright, you don't have to believe it. Take it as a ghost story. Yes, she passed on. Such stuff is only capable of prolonging a person's life. The scary thing is that she was in the advanced stages of cancer. She scared the crap out of all relatives by appearing incredibly happy and comftable just after the incident. They all gathered at her house as they thought they were coming to pay their last respects before she got sent to the undertaker.

It doesn't even compute much to me either, I myself find it hard to believe that magic that strong even exists. It's one of the more weird going-ons in the Asian paranormal. I'm taking a computer engineering diploma, so I'm no country bumpkin' too.

It was breast cancer by the way, I feel kinda bad now.
    I would like to believe it and think that there is that kind of connection but I just don't see how its possible. When I was only 1 yr old I lost my sister of 2 to a brain tumor. Granted I barely knew her (i have no memory of her at all... ), it still sucks that she isn't around. It would have been interesting had she lived and what it would have been like to have an older sister (which is why I'm hoping my first child, when its time, is a girl). I don't understand why things like that happen. Then growing up being forced to go to church didn't help either, and once i was confirmed catholic I stopped going to church. I guess I'm not very religious or spiritual because I don't see the point in it. I'd like to change my pov here, but it would take a long time :\! Then going into a medical field I see things as black and white, alive or dead, etc, nothing spiritual about it. That's all.

I find stories of yours though very intriguing. It would be interesting if it were able to harness this "spiritual energy" for some sort of life-prolonger... much like (yea, bad example) laughter from Monster's Inc provided x10 electrical energy than screams...

*sigh* can't we just live in a movie

Senor Sausage
    I would like to believe it and think that there is that kind of connection but I just don't see how its possible. When I was only 1 yr old I lost my sister of 2 to a brain tumor. Granted I barely knew her (i have no memory of her at all... ), it still sucks that she isn't around. It would have been interesting had she lived and what it would have been like to have an older sister (which is why I'm hoping my first child, when its time, is a girl). I don't understand why things like that happen. Then growing up being forced to go to church didn't help either, and once i was confirmed catholic I stopped going to church. I guess I'm not very religious or spiritual because I don't see the point in it. I'd like to change my pov here, but it would take a long time :\! Then going into a medical field I see things as black and white, alive or dead, etc, nothing spiritual about it. That's all
    I find stories of yours though very intriguing. It would be interesting if it were able to harness this "spiritual energy" for some sort of life-prolonger... much like (yea, bad example) laughter from Monster's Inc provided x10 electrical energy than screams...

*sigh* can't we just live in a movie
    I apologise. I'm unable to understand what it's like to go through that. I haven't yet had to cope with a lost loved one. I'm however at the point in my life where I wonder if God truly does exist.

This is why I tried to be lighthearted, often stories like that provoke reactions. Sometimes negative, but hold great wonder when they are positive. It's usually bad practice to pass them on to someone outside our culture. Unless the story is really entertaining.

Oh and believe me, people have tried. The greatest example in recent history would be of Hitler. I'm sure you know that the Nazis are well known for their practice of black magic. There is however little proof to say so. In fact, I think Hitler would have found the uncontrollable nature of black magic not to his liking. This is the man who didn't let the STG44 pass trials just because it couldn't stay effective over a kilometre like other rifles. They had to rebadge it as a submachine gun.
    Last edited by Transfurzz; 08-22-2007 at 02:49 PM.

I apologise. I'm unable to understand what it's like to go through that. I haven't yet had to cope with a lost loved one. I'm however at the point in my life where I wonder if God truly does exist.
    No apologies needed. I was way too young to even know what was going on. It was just growing up that I was like "ah man, ***... why couldn't my sister be around" or "omfg I had a sister!" (without the uh, 1337 interjections, obviously). So I wasn't necessarily myself hurt from it, but just the wondering of "what would it have been like if she was around," like having to split up bathroom time haha.

I've already traveled down the "does God exist?" path, and I believe that conversation is for a new thread, or IM chat, entirely.

But yes that story was entertaining!
    Last edited by DJBeanPole17; 08-22-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Senor Sausage
    No apologies needed. I was way too young to even know what was going on. It was just growing up that I was like "ah man, ***... why couldn't my sister be around" or "omfg I had a sister!" (without the uh, 1337 interjections, obviously). So I wasn't necessarily myself hurt from it, but just the wondering of "what would it have been like if she was around," like having to split up bathroom time haha.

I've already traveled down the "does God exist?" path, and I believe that conversation is for a new thread, or IM chat, entirely.

But yes that story was entertaining!
    Well personally, I would like to explore the existence of God by myself. That way I will be convinced I wasn't influenced by another.

I guess we better stop now, way OT. Unless you didn't notice, Wurm is making his rounds. Either that or he's still fiddling with the Bioshock demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brahma
    Now there's someone trying to sweep back the ocean with a broom.
    +1 I think that is a lost cause completely. Unless someone came up with a way to censor EVERYTHING (that has to be impossible), then, heh... good luck.