Windows XP Partition Limit

Sharky Forums

Thread: Windows XP Partition Limit

Windows XP Partition Limit

Hey all,
    I'm wondering what the limits for a partition in Windows XP might be. Trying to work on a new backup repository/server, and I think we can make it work with a box that can host >2TB...will Windows allow for a single partition over 2TB?

TIA!
    Asus Maximus III Formula | Core i5 650 | Xigmatek Dark Knight | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 | eVGA GeForce GTX 570 SuperClocked | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | Corsair HX Series 750w | CoolerMaster HAF 932
    My Heatware

Great White Shark
    Under NTFS, the maximum size of a volume is in 2 to the 64th power. This is equal to 16 binary exabytes, or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549
    Under NTFS, the maximum size of a volume is in 2 to the 64th power. This is equal to 16 binary exabytes, or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes.
    Um...so I guess my 'piddly' 2TB will be okay then, eh?
    Thanks!
    Asus Maximus III Formula | Core i5 650 | Xigmatek Dark Knight | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 | eVGA GeForce GTX 570 SuperClocked | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | Corsair HX Series 750w | CoolerMaster HAF 932
    My Heatware

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroCreep
    Um...so I guess my 'piddly' 2TB will be okay then, eh?
    Thanks!
    Should be fine. You could even make it FAT32 if you were [for God knows what reason] so inclined.
    Nick_B
    Currently running Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Well, he could use FAT32, but he's have to use something other than Windows XP to partition/format the drive since Microsoft limited the maximum partition size for those utilities to keep people from using FAT32 on large volumes.

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog
    Well, he could use FAT32, but he's have to use something other than Windows XP to partition/format the drive since Microsoft limited the maximum partition size for those utilities to keep people from using FAT32 on large volumes.
    Exactly. It'd be much harder to come up with reasonable justification than to get around the XP format limitation.
    Nick_B
    Currently running Ubuntu and Windows 7.

if you are going to store large files, XFS might be better, ReiserFS is better for smaller files. But you will have to do some digging and such to get them to work with Windows ...
    Activation? What activation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekkit (from ubuntu forums regarding 'goto' statement)
    Yep it sure does. So does crack cocaine. Existence is not a valid endorsement for being acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it

You'd have to use raid to make it look like one big partition, but you probably knew that. Ext3 filesystem is pretty easy to get on windows too.

depending on the use ext3 is not the best solution (for example, a media center).
    Activation? What activation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekkit (from ubuntu forums regarding 'goto' statement)
    Yep it sure does. So does crack cocaine. Existence is not a valid endorsement for being acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it