SATA harddrive running in AHCI or ATA mode. any difference?

Sharky Forums

Thread: SATA harddrive running in AHCI or ATA mode. any difference?

SATA harddrive running in AHCI or ATA mode. any difference?

is there any noticable real world difference between the two different mode?

the laptop comes default on AHCI mode but when I try to install WinXP it won't see the HD till I set it to ATA.

not sure if it will see AHCI again if I switch it after it finish installing.
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by rimmerchant
    is there any noticable real world difference between the two different mode?

the laptop comes default on AHCI mode but when I try to install WinXP it won't see the HD till I set it to ATA.

not sure if it will see AHCI again if I switch it after it finish installing.
    Since you had posted in the past that you were getting a Dell XPS M1330, I'm guessing that you got it. I'd like to start off by saying congrats! The XPS M1330 is one friggin sexy laptop.

The difference between AHCI and ATA mode is the support of hot-swappable drives (irrelevant in notebooks), native command queuing (NCQ), and the use of a flash module as a hard drive cache. You'll probably notice a small performance boost by turning it on.

I'm assuming you are talking about your problem now that you're trying to install WinXP on the laptop and WinXP won't see the ATA drive in AHCI mode. The problem is that WinXP SP2 does not have the SATA drivers pre-loaded. You have three options at this point:

1) Slipstream the SATA drivers onto a WinXP SP2 install CD, and re-burn a new WinXP CD. You can use a program like nLite to help you.

2) Buy an external USB floppy drive, and load the drivers by hitting F6 during WinXP setup.

3) Use the instructions below. The guy who typed these instructions up is a friggin genius. And I hear he's pretty handsome to boot.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=164159

I got AHCI enabled under WinXP!!
    • Installed WinXP in ATA mode (not AHCI)
    • Did not want to slipstream a WinXP CD
    • Did not want to bother with F6 / floppy drive - I don't own an external floppy drive
    • Attempting to switch HDD from ATA mode to AHCI mode after WinXP install would result in BSOD

Here's how:
    1) Download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager here:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...=2101&lang=eng

2) Once you download the file, run it with a -a switch:
    iata76_enu.exe -a
    This will NOT install the Matrix Storage Manager. What this will do is run the installer, and ONLY EXTRACT the files to C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Again, this does NOT install anything.

3) Your drivers are now located in C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. They will be found in either \Driver, or \Driver64, depending on whether you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

4) Go to Device Manager --> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Double-click on the Intel ICH8M 3-port SATA Controller - 2828... remember, *ONLY* click on the device that ends with 2828.

5) Go to Driver tab, and choose to Update Driver.

6) Tell the Wizard prompts:
    - No, not this time
    - Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    - Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install.
    - Click the "Have Disk" button. Point it to C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Driver (or Driver64).
    - The driver you want to install for WinXP 32-bit for the Dell XPS M1330 is Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller
    - After you install the driver and click OK out of every menu, reboot the laptop.

7) During reboot, go into BIOS and turn on AHCI mode and Flash Module

8) Voila! WinXP will boot up with no BSOD!
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Alienware M11x R2 | Core i5 520UM | 4GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD | nVidia GeForce 335M GPU | 11.6" WLED Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 4.5lbs

Yupe finally got my 1330 after 3.5 months of waiting. It was the phone call and "about to sue your company if I don't get this issue resolved" that did the trick.

THANKS for the help.

dell kinda sucks they don't have all the drivers for XP for the laptop. I have to spend some time googling and hunting for the drivers

I did what u said and it booted up fine.

I have no idea what the Flash Cahce does of it really do anything under Winxp.

but any performance boost is good.

BTW: that Vista Hoemo Premium OS that came with the laptop sucked and full of junk.

I tried to do a archnois restore for my other setup into it and it keep hanging during restore. so I took the HD out and put it on another machine and restored it from there.
    put it back into the laptop. booted up, installed drivers.

now it works perfectly and I don't have to spend 6+ hours again instlaling and setting up programs and settings.
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by rimmerchant
    dell kinda sucks they don't have all the drivers for XP for the laptop. I have to spend some time googling and hunting for the drivers
    Check your PM in about 30 minutes.
    Last edited by kent1146; 11-19-2007 at 10:58 PM.
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Alienware M11x R2 | Core i5 520UM | 4GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD | nVidia GeForce 335M GPU | 11.6" WLED Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 4.5lbs

Quote Originally Posted by kent1146
    Check your PM in about 30 minutes.
    thanks but I found all the drivers.

EXCEPT the one for the remote control thingy that fits in the PC card express slot.

I got it all working already. except for the remote.

Mako Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by kent1146
    Here's how [to install AHCI on an existing XP install]:

iata76_enu.exe -a
    This will NOT install the Matrix Storage Manager. What this will do is run the installer, and ONLY EXTRACT the files to C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Again, this does NOT install anything.

3) Your drivers are now located in C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. They will be found in either \Driver, or \Driver64, depending on whether you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

4) Go to Device Manager --> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Double-click on the Intel ICH8M 3-port SATA Controller - 2828... remember, *ONLY* click on the device that ends with 2828.

- No, not this time
    - Click the "Have Disk" button. Point it to C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Driver (or Driver64).
    - The driver you want to install for WinXP 32-bit for the Dell XPS M1330 is Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller
    - After you install the driver and click OK out of every menu, reboot the laptop.

Kent you are a genius!

I did this on my GA-X38-DQ6 and of course selected the ICH9R AHCI driver for both the SATA 2920 and 2926 devices that were in the hardware manager and it worked! WooHoo.

maybe it's just me but before I did that thing with the ACHI

my system booted fine to windows desktop.

but after doing the achi thing my boot time increased.

it would boot to the windows but I only see the wallpayer and it would stay their for like 25 seconds and THEN I see th rest of the stuff like taskbar/icons etc..

but I do sense a SLIGHTLY increased in programs startup and program loads.

Mako Shark
    I noticed an increased boot time on my X38 board since there is an extra window in which all the SATA devices get recognized, but no difference on my 975X board that doesn't have a separate AHCI bootup window.

Sushi

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kent1146 View Post
    • Did not want to bother with F6 / floppy drive - I don't own an external floppy drive
    • Attempting to switch HDD from ATA mode to AHCI mode after WinXP install would result in BSOD

Here's how:

iata76_enu.exe -a

- No, not this time

EXCELENT POST, KENT1146:
    Sounds great and I could see all what you say in my newly DELL Inspiron 1525 with XP recentrly installed (whoice I got to do turning off the AHCI option from BIOS). But since you post was from a couple years ago and my system is slightly different form the M1130, I'm not sure if I should use exactly the same driver. I have the same device in the Device Manager: "Intel ICH8M 3-port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828". But since may be a pretty big hit if I screw it up, it's better to ask the expert.
    Thanks for the previous post and for the upcoming answer.
    Consiglieri

Sushi
    Thanks kent1146!

Dell Latitude E6400 & 2010 and your solution still works!

Sushi

Help

Quote Originally Posted by kent1146 View Post
    3) Use the instructions below. The guy who typed these instructions up is a friggin genius. And I hear he's pretty handsome to boot.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=164159

Here's how:

iata76_enu.exe -a

- No, not this time

I saw this post from several years ago. I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop that came preloaded with Windows 7. Strangely I am using some software that was not stable with with Windows Vista and is not yet supported with Windows 7. Hence I want to revert to windows XP.

Do you think that the above instructions will work for me?

You'd probably be better running that old software in Windows XP Mode, rather than installing Windows XP and making it your full OS. It basically runs your Windows XP apps in a virtual machine. If I were you, then I would do this because Windows 7 is FAR superior to Windows XP in many ways... user interface, speed, security, etc. On top of that, your laptop was intended to use Windows 7, so driver support on Windows XP may be hard to get.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

If you do insist on trying a full install of Windows XP, then I believe that the above instructions will NOT work. The hardware between a Dell XPS M1330 and your Inspiron 1764 is probably different enough that using my instructions will probably BSOD you. I would suggest you either fiddle around with it (if you are feeling brave), or just use regular ATA mode for your hard drive.

do you know if this would work for the XPS M1530? sorry, i know this is like... 2 years later, but just curious, cause im trying to add XP on it and it has the same issue as the model you originally posted