Baldur's Gate 2 problem starting LAN game

Sharky Forums

Thread: Baldur's Gate 2 problem starting LAN game

Baldur's Gate 2 problem starting LAN game

When I go to create a multiplayer game, the only options it gives me is TCP/IP or IPX, and then below only serial can be selected. There is no LAN option. How do I start up a LAN game? Thanks.
    Core 2 Duo w Radeon 4850, Droid Phone, Mits HD1000U projector

Mr Zurkon is here to kill PointlesS's Avatar
    I'd imagine it'd be under tcp/ip?
    Lian Li PC-K7B | Intel i5 750 | 4GB A-Data 1600 | Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R | XFX Radeon 5850 | 2-640GB WD Caviar Blue | X-fi Xtrememusic | Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra | Dell U2311H | Antec Basiq Plus 550W | NEC 3550A | Win7 Ultimate x64
    and a whole lot of lovin..

Okay so yes, TCP/IP is definitely the lan setting option, however we can't get a game going. I used Wireshark which shows you traffic info coming to and fro your PC and I can definitely see information related to the game being passed back and forth between our two PCs. In some of the info I could read the name of the server session that was created. So why the heck can't we connect???? Any ideas??? We have both turned off our windows firewalls.

Same game version? Are you playing this via Gametap?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie
    Same game version? Are you playing this via Gametap?
    Not using gametap, how do we check the game version? Properties of the .exe file? I'm pretty sure my brother applied the patch but I wouldn't put it past him to screw that up lol.

Where are you getting your IP address?
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

Quote Originally Posted by Un4given
    Where are you getting your IP address?
    Ipconfig. Router is DHCP server and I have statically assigned IP address.

Like I said, I can see game info being sent between the two PCs. This should be really simple you would think. I have Vista and my bro has XP, maybe that's the problem? I have another XP machine I can test with if necessary. I really want to get this working before tonight b/c we are supposed to play! I'm gonna check the game versions in 10 minutes.

Same software versions, tested serious sam again playing over the LAN and it works fine. What the heck?

Mr Zurkon is here to kill PointlesS's Avatar
    what happens exactly? any error messages or does it just give a black screen when connecting or what?
    Lian Li PC-K7B | Intel i5 750 | 4GB A-Data 1600 | Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R | XFX Radeon 5850 | 2-640GB WD Caviar Blue | X-fi Xtrememusic | Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra | Dell U2311H | Antec Basiq Plus 550W | NEC 3550A | Win7 Ultimate x64
    and a whole lot of lovin..

User clicks to join game and it just sits there trying to connect. We've tried it both ways (me hosting and him hosting). The listen for incoming connections is checked on the permissions screen. I'm about to give up.

Wireshark was showing TCP/IP checksum errors so I disabled TCP/IP checksum on three settings I could find in the configuration for my network card and that still didn't fix it. I could still see the 2 PCs attempting to contact one another.

I think next I'm gonna try the game on my XP machine to take Vista out as a variable. After that I'm just going to give up. This sucks, I really wanted to play.

Also no IPX support on vista apparently so we can't try that, but we could on the XP machine.

Hammerhead Shark
    Firewall permissions? I'm not sure what ports are needed, but maybe blocked port?
    A/v Tower/Intel p4 2.53/asus p4t 533c/4x512 1066 samsung rambus ram (@ 533) /40 gb or 80 gb ata 133 system Drive(Caddie)/240 gb raid a/v drive ( 2 WD using HPT370 pci controller)/250 gb export drive (Caddie)/ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/Matrox rt.x100
    Santa Cruz Turtle Beach Soundcard/ricoh mp5125a Multi format dvd burner/Samsung 40x cd burner/floppy/antec SX1040 bII case and 400 watt p/s/xp pro ( Sp 2 )/19" Black Nec FE991SB Moniter/17" cheapie Moniter

Audio Aria Micro pc #2/Amd64 3400/Gigabyte K8M800M/2x512 Corsair xms/160Gb/DVD
    X800/Audigy 2zs/Aardvark aark 20 10 in/out Soundcard/XP Pro

Shuttle XPC SB83G5 PC#3/P4 3.4/ 915 chipset/512 Kingston/6600 256mbPci-E/Soundblaster 2Zs/80Gb/DVD Burner/Xp Pro

Windows firewall was always turned off. No port forwarding is necessary b/c this is all local traffic.

I installed in on the windows XP machine and sure enough it works!!!! This kind of sucks though b/c I wanted to play on my vista machine but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. There has to be some difference between how vista and XP communicate over TCP/IP. Maybe I could try running in compatiblity mode? I dunno, at least I know we can play tonight. Thanks for the suggestions, and if anyone has any idea why Vista isn't working feel free to chime in!

Sushi
    I would like to give a slight update on this, even though this is borderline forum necromancy. Seeing as this page was one of the first few results on google, and it describes my own situation perfectly.

Both my friend and I have tried this many times in the past. We both thought that oh, maybe it was due to him having vista, and me with XP. But he recently got sick of Vista, and so he went back to XP. I suggested we try it yet again.

So I can accurately report that the OS difference is NOT the problem here. We both are on XP SP2, and we both still cannot connect. We tried LANs, we tried hamachi, we tried pure internet connects... still nothing. The game still hangs for a few mins when trying to join and then rears its ugly head with the usual "Cannot connect to game session". I am beginning to give up, as we have googled the issue over the span of 2 years and are growing weary. Just want to freaking play one of the most spectacular RPG's ever. Is that so much to ask for? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Agent4054
    I would like to give a slight update on this, even though this is borderline forum necromancy. Seeing as this page was one of the first few results on google, and it describes my own situation perfectly.

Both my friend and I have tried this many times in the past. We both thought that oh, maybe it was due to him having vista, and me with XP. But he recently got sick of Vista, and so he went back to XP. I suggested we try it yet again.

So I can accurately report that the OS difference is NOT the problem here. We both are on XP SP2, and we both still cannot connect. We tried LANs, we tried hamachi, we tried pure internet connects... still nothing. The game still hangs for a few mins when trying to join and then rears its ugly head with the usual "Cannot connect to game session". I am beginning to give up, as we have googled the issue over the span of 2 years and are growing weary. Just want to freaking play one of the most spectacular RPG's ever. Is that so much to ask for? :P
    Contrary to what you have found, my bros and I successfully played when we all had XP SP2. One bro was connecting from outside my router (you have to setup port forwarding for that to work) and the other bro was on my internal network. Worked fine for about an hour, but then one of my bros was not in the mood for that type of game so we went and played some Serious Sam II . So I can confirm that it does in fact work when all machines have XP SP2.

Sushi
    I will go on to further confirm that confirmation, heh. The one friend that I was testing this out with tried it with someone else and it worked perfectly. So, somehow the problem is on my end but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the crap that might be. ><

So, I imagine I'd just have to reinstall windows, but it's such a drag.