Viewing two different excel docs on two different screens

Sharky Forums

Thread: Viewing two different excel docs on two different screens

Hybrid View

Catfish

Viewing two different excel docs on two different screens

When I load up 2 word documents on a system with two screens I can have one
    document on one screen and one on the other. If I try this with 2 Excel documents it is not possible because both documents reside within the 'parent' excel form which can only exist on one screen or the other.

Can Excel be made to behave like Word?
    3Ghz P4 @ 3.2Ghz, 1Gb OCZ DDR-RAM, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, 2x Western Digital 74Gb Raptors, 1x 60Gb IBM, Sapphire ATI 9800Pro, 19" Sony SDM-HS95P TFT, Linksys ADSL&Router, Logitech MX700, Sony 8X DVD-ReWriter, Pioneer DVD-ROM, Terratec DMX6Fire Soundcard, NAD C352 Amp, Quad 11L speakers.

Nope...

But, Tools->Options->View tab->"Windows in Taskbar" will display both sheets in the taskbar to help move between em.

And or the WINDOW->Arrange option will tile the two sheets.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Actually it can. Basically, start up Excel twice. In each running instance of Excel, open up your documents. You can't directly open up the document by double clicking on it since it will just open it up in a single container.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    - Asus M50 Laptop - C2D T9300 - 4 gig RAM - Radeon HD 3650 - Vista x64 Ultimate

- Intel i7-3770K - Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE - 32gig RAM - Radeon HD7970 Ghz - Plextor M3 256GB/120GB OCZ Vertex3
    - LG BluRay - Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard - Logitech G9x
    - HP ZR2740w/Asus LCD - W7 Ultimate

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tiger Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by ksuohio
    You can't directly open up the document by double clicking on it since it will just open it up in a single container.
    Actually, yes you can!

Open windows explorer (i.e., "My Computer"),

Click "tools->folder options"

Open the "File Types" tab

Select the "XLS" extension

Click "Advanced"

Highlight the "Open" command

Click "Edit"

Clear out the text where it says "DDE Message" (but do not un-check Use DDE).

In the "Application used to perform this action" text box, remove the "/e" at the end and replace it with "%1" (including quotes). In other words, if you installed Excel in the default location, the text should be

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"

Hit "OK".

This should allow you to just double-click on an Excel file and have it open in a completely new window.
    Last edited by hu flung dung; 12-19-2007 at 03:37 AM.

Sushi
    Wow - hu flung dung - thank you. I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for AGES. I just ran across this by chance. I work on two screens all the time, and it's been a pain to do it with Excel. Now it's working perfectly. THANKS.
    Last edited by KristinZhivago; 04-21-2008 at 11:43 AM.