Metal Gear Solid series

Sharky Forums

Thread: Metal Gear Solid series

Metal Gear Solid series

I've played through MGS 1-3 in anticipation of MGS4. Haven't started up 4 yet, as there was a family emergency last week and I'm moving this week, but I thought I would christen the review forum with my thoughts on the first 3 -

MGS1 - Great game overall. Bad graphics didn't really bother me as much as I thought they would, and it was surprisingly easy to target enemies. Wasn't a huge fan of the backtracking. Storyline was great, and the bosses were awesome, though I had seen most of them back when the game originally came out (even though I didn't play the game until now) so there weren't really any surprises.

MGS2 - First impression was that the controls were so terrible I quit after an hour and a half and didn't come back to it for a month. Glad I gave it a second chance, because the game is actually pretty good. I kind of liked the concept of the whole game (plant chapter, anyway) taking place in that one facility. As is the standard response, I thought the story just got too carried away at the end; if they had spread all those cutscenes out over another couple of hours of gameplay, it would have been better, but there was just WAY too much watching and flipping revelations that were had 10 minutes ago. Bosses were a little weak imo.

MGS3 - Started off WAY too campy, what with stupid jokes about movies coming out in the future,
    Spoiler
    etc. Game definitely picked up later, though. The bosses were excellent, and once it picked up after the slow beginning the story was pretty good. The ending was AWESOME. Boss battles were very cool, particularly The End.

I'm very much looking forward to playing MGS4 once we get settled in the new house. Planning on taking no longer than a week to beat it, so I'll update the thread with my impressions once I do.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Expensive Sushi
    im looking forward to MGS4, I plan to take a week off work so I can complete this

I'm looking forward to a new subforum.
    Xbox gamertag: oWastelander
    Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage Ryzen 9 5980HX Radeon RX6800M
    ASUS 27 QHD 2K External Display
    Xbox Series X

MGS 4 will make your appreciation of that spoiler in MGS 3 even better ^_^

Is mgs4 going to make it to the 360 eventually? I want to play it but don't wanna buy a ps3 for 1 game.

Corsair 550vx
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
    C2D e6750 @ 2.66
    2 gig ram
    Asus Radeon 4850
    Audigy 2

Quote Originally Posted by PriMaTe
    Is mgs4 going to make it to the 360 eventually? I want to play it but don't wanna buy a ps3 for 1 game.
    If you hold out, maybe, but at this time it seems unlikely.

And you should never buy a system for just one game; if the PS3 never has another game you want on it then find another way of playing MGS 4 or just forget about it.

Started MGS4 last night, and played for I think 3 hours or so. Quit right after
    Spoiler

Totally badass game so far. The action scenes in previous games always felt a little out of place, but that one I mention in the spoiler tags above felt really good.
    Last edited by monroeski; 07-21-2008 at 11:32 AM.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski
    Started MGS4 last night, and played for I think 3 hours or so. Quit right after
    Spoiler

Totally badass game so far. The action scenes in previous games always felt a little out of place, but that one I mention in the spoiler tags above felt really good.
    Whenever you decide to give Metal Gear Online a shot, send me a poke and we'll team up.

Tiger Shark
    I am currently playing Metal Gear Solid 3, actually I have played these games out of order.

I played MGS 1 back on the PS1, and I thought it was excellent. Lots of boss battles, and the story was good.

8 years later I bought a PS3 and played MGS 4, decent game, but far too many movie sequences. Gameplay felt more simplified, as all you are expected to do is to get from one point to the next and watch the next movie clip.

Decided to backtrack so I played MGS 2 last week. Started off well, but again the story gets pretty corny in some parts. I beat it, but MGS 1 was better.

So far MGS 3 has been a slow starter, but its not too bad, however, at least this time its not too corny.

So far:

MGS 1 > MGS 4 > MGS 3 > MGS 2
    Intel Core i7 2600K / Asus P8Z68 Deluxe / Corsair 16GB DDR3 / 2xEVGA 570 2560MB SLI / Sound Blaster Z / 2xCrucial M4 256GBSSD / Seagate XT 2TB / Hitachi 3TB / 2xSeagate 320GB / Corsair HX 1050 / Cooler Master HAF-X
    Currently playing: Max Payne 3 (PC), Grid 2 (PC), Dark Souls (PS3), Gears of War Judgment (360)

Last few finished:
    Halo 4 (360)