TF2: Pyro Update

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TF2: Pyro Update

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar

TF2: Pyro Update

With the recent Pyro update I thought I'd play some TF2 to see how it is. I started a few days ago and once again I find myself parked in front of my computer till the wee hours of the morning.

I'm really digging the update so far. I been mostly playing 2fort to unlock the new pyro achievements, so I can't say much about the new community maps, but I can say the changes to pyro are pretty great. The new alt-fire on the standard on the flamethrower is quickly becoming a main stay for me. With the new update, pyros can now fire compressed air to push away enemies and redirect explosives (grenades, sticky bombs, and missiles) .

As you can imagine, this opens up some new tricks while playing pyro. You can use the compressed air to knock people off ledges (and into sentries!), break up ubers by blowing away the medic, defusing a mined room by blowing away the sticky bombs and even turning them to your side, and etc. I've also heard you can knock people to the ground if you nail them with compressed air from the top, though I haven't tried.

As for the new weapons, I've unlocked the new Flare Gun and I'm 1-2 achievements away from the Back Burner Flame thrower. The flare gun is pretty neat and useful for long range targets. It's main purpose is to set people on fire from afar. It can cover a fair amount of distance and its very effective on snipers, engineers and pretty much any one too far to hit with your flame thrower. The only draw backs are that the flare is slow, the gun only holds a single shot at a time, and reloading is about 1-2 seconds. In short, you shouldn't use it in a close range fire fights or fast moving targets.

With the Back Burner you gain a +50 increase in health, automatic criticals for any one you flame from behind, and no compressed air. It's a great weapons for ambushing incoming enemies and it seems like it plays better for defense. I've noticed that pretty much every pyro with a BB attacks by running around in circles with the hope nailing a back critical. It's really effective if you can pull it off and it prevents people from trying to run away with their back to you.

The third weapon is the axtinguisher, a nasty looking axe wrapped in barbed wire. It replaces the standard axe by offering critical damage if used on ignited enemies. There is a draw back however, since the axtinghusher will only cause minor damage to non ignited enemies. I actually haven't see this too much and to be honest it sounds a little meh. I imagine it would be effective working with a group of pyros but I really haven't seem any one using it.

If your a fan of TF2 and haven't been back in a while, I recommend loading it up and playing a few rounds of pyro.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Backburners seem overpowered imo. If I ever unlock it I will never go back to the regular flamethrower.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski
    Backburners seem overpowered imo. If I ever unlock it I will never go back to the regular flamethrower.

I agree. Backburners are superior to the standard Flamethrower.

I also I think the compressed air attacks range and power need to be increased while the time taken to fire it should be decreased. Doing so wold make the standard flamethrower a more attractive option. As of right now, its too slow and costly to use effectively in a fight. I 'd rather just duck the bombs and burn the baddies.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Hammerhead Shark
    Pyros got a lot of love in that patch... I'm kind of hoping for similar upgrades for the spy, as it's very frustrating once somebody figures out to counter the spy class.
    Current Rig: Q6600 @2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9700 | 6 GB Corsair XM2 DDR2 RAM @ 736 MHz | 2 x 150 GB Raptors Raid 0 | Asus Dark Knight 4870 512 MB | Gigabyte EP45-U3DL Motherboard | ASUS VW266H Panel | Lian Li PC-V1200Bplus

XBL Gamertag: Recursivity
    http://xclite.net

Now Playing: Left4Dead, Team Fortress 2, Killing Floor, Dawn of War 2

Quote Originally Posted by xclite
    Pyros got a lot of love in that patch... I'm kind of hoping for similar upgrades for the spy, as it's very frustrating once somebody figures out to counter the spy class.

Have you seen the spy tutorial posted on youtube by OmgNinja?

They are truly epic. It's in 3 parts, and they all offer some great tips and examples on how to play.

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by taggart6
    Have you seen the spy tutorial posted on youtube by OmgNinja?

They are truly epic. It's in 3 parts, and they all offer some great tips and examples on how to play.
    I'm always looking for tips, but think about an engy standing 5 feet from his sentry. Stalemate. Or just unfortunate timing, you're screwed. Spies are good, and yeah, if you take the time to master them you can be great. However, the bump that pyros got really took their gameplay to a new level of ownage. That extra 50 health from the Backburner is ridiculously awesome, and giving a pure close range class a tool to aggravate long range classes (i.e. sniper) makes them even more useful.

Edit: The engineers he mentions positioning himself between were terrible. Why would they go for the sentry first? You see a sapper, you wrench the spy before getting the sapper off, especially if he's hanging around, not spy checking, they take ages to kill the sentry.

The leaping one is a pretty good idea, I don't know if I want to rely on it with some server latency. I'd give all my illegitimate facestabs to have all my legitimate backstabs.

Just wanna apologize for derailing your thread, I didn't realize it was in reviews, I thought it was in games. Curse you, find new posts button!
    Last edited by xclite; 07-21-2008 at 11:31 PM.
    Current Rig: Q6600 @2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9700 | 6 GB Corsair XM2 DDR2 RAM @ 736 MHz | 2 x 150 GB Raptors Raid 0 | Asus Dark Knight 4870 512 MB | Gigabyte EP45-U3DL Motherboard | ASUS VW266H Panel | Lian Li PC-V1200Bplus

Backburner is nice, very effective if you go for a lot of flanking tactics. The flare gun is useful and provides some needed range, but I don't think it's a huge difference maker. I have unlocked the axtinguisher but have yet to use it, I feel that the backburner probably does a lot more damage and I will probably only use it when out of ammo.

I like the update, bring on the next one!
    Athlon 64 3200+ | 2*512 Corsair XMS | eVGA 6800 gt | Asus K8V Deluxe | 2*80 gb SATA WD (Raid 0) | WD 80GB | WD 320GB | Dell 2407WFP | Audigy 2 ZS Platinum | Klipsch 5.1 Ultras | Senn HD-280s

I Unlocked the back burner a few days ago and its quickly become my fav pyro weapon. Its insanely powerful which makes it feel a little broken ATM. I prefer the shotgun over the flare because of the flare's low output damage and long reload rate. I have made some really niffty kills with the flare though.

Hammerhead Shark
    I Unlocked the back burner a few days ago and its quickly become my fav pyro weapon. Its insanely powerful which makes it feel a little broken ATM. I prefer the shotgun over the flare because of the flare's low output damage and long reload rate. I have made some really niffty kills with the flare though.
    The flare's a neat trick, but I get almost all of my kills from flanking and ambushing, so I find the shotgun much more useful for picking people off. I stick to the regular axe, since the Backburner crits on targets running away from me anyway, the axestinguiserr is kind of redundant. However, I could see it being a fun toy to flare then execute.
    Last edited by xclite; 07-23-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xclite
    The flare's a neat trick, but I get almost all of my kills from flanking and ambushing, so I find the shotgun much more useful for picking people off. I stick to the regular axe, since the Backburner crits on targets running away from me anyway, the axestinguiserr is kind of redundant. However, I could see it being a fun toy to flare then execute.

The flare is quickly becoming a fav tool of mine. I don't know how much of it is psychological, but the moment you set someone on fire they just start running away. I'm surprised by this since the damage of the flare isn't that much but it seems to cause panic nonetheless. It's pretty effective for clearing out areas out of your reach and snipers hate it. The hit area is pretty big so you don't have to be terribly precise.

The flare is quickly becoming a fav tool of mine. I don't know how much of it is psychological, but the moment you set someone on fire they just start running away. I'm surprised by this since the damage of the flare isn't that much but it seems to cause panic nonetheless. It's pretty effective for clearing out areas out of your reach and snipers hate it. The hit area is pretty big so you don't have to be terribly precise.
    Very true! In choke points it's a lot of fun to fire off flares, set a few people on fire, and watch them scramble to find a medic or health pack. Like you say, I think it's more psychological because it only does about 50 damage if I remember correctly, which really isn't all that much for a soldier/heavy or even demo. It's a nice little compromise for taking away the rocket launch from the pyro versus previous tf installments. I too never use the axetinguisher, I just keep pouring on with the flamethrower.
    Athlon 64 3200+ | 2*512 Corsair XMS | eVGA 6800 gt | Asus K8V Deluxe | 2*80 gb SATA WD (Raid 0) | WD 80GB | WD 320GB | Dell 2407WFP | Audigy 2 ZS Platinum | Klipsch 5.1 Ultras | Senn HD-280s

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger
    Very true! In choke points it's a lot of fun to fire off flares, set a few people on fire, and watch them scramble to find a medic or health pack. Like you say, I think it's more psychological because it only does about 50 damage if I remember correctly, which really isn't all that much for a soldier/heavy or even demo. It's a nice little compromise for taking away the rocket launch from the pyro versus previous tf installments. I too never use the axetinguisher, I just keep pouring on with the flamethrower.

The axetinguisher is garbage. It's only useful if you have more then one pyro, and at that point its much more effective to just have multiple pyros spamming with the back burner for crits. Maybe it takes more skill to use, but I really don't like it.

Hammerhead Shark
    The axetinguisher is garbage. It's only useful if you have more then one pyro, and at that point its much more effective to just have multiple pyros spamming with the back burner for crits. Maybe it takes more skill to use, but I really don't like it.
    Agreed.

They need to nerf that damn backburner. Every damn server is just full of circle strafing pyros. I die in like two seconds if I don't see the bastards coming and they manage to get behind me. Trying to make it "balanced" because it doesn't have the air gust is laughable.

I don't even have any fun anymore when I'm playing.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski
    They need to nerf that damn backburner. Every damn server is just full of circle strafing pyros. I die in like two seconds if I don't see the bastards coming and they manage to get behind me. Trying to make it "balanced" because it doesn't have the air gust is laughable.

I don't even have any fun anymore when I'm playing.

They should knock 25 points off the life bonus and reduce the crits from every back hit a back crit occurring 50% of the time. See how that works and tweak if needed.