Networking Gurus: Where to start (looking for a book or something)?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Networking Gurus: Where to start (looking for a book or something)?

Expensive Sushi

Networking Gurus: Where to start (looking for a book or something)?

Hello all, for work purposes, I need to become more involved with our network. Here is what I know:

We are using Server 2003. I know how to set up our machines on the domain and I know how to set up our networked printers on our machines (which has been what my job duties consisted of until recently).

Now I am kind of being forced into a network admin type position. I don't mind, because I love learning new things and I do it rather quickly, but I know enough to know that I don't know a lot.

What are some good basic books to pick up to get me going? I am thinking in terms of "For dummies" type books but I wanted some expert opinions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't have any specific books for you. IMO, the best thing you can do is go buy any book on 2003 server that seems like it is easy to understand for you. Then I'd load up server 2003 on a box at home. I have all my guys do this. If you're not setting up something at home and playing on it, then you're really going to slow down your growth.

Then I'd go through the book and try out the stuff you read about, at home. Even if it's something you don't use at the office, or something you don't plan on using, it really helps to try out all the features and understand how they work and fit together. If you have a virtual server at home it's even easier because you can simply snapshot it before changes.

As far as specific areas, I'd problably focus on the following in this order:

1. The basics of TCP/IP. NAT, PAT, etc.
    2. DNS. SUPER IMPORTANT!! Fully understand DNS. Forward Zones, Reverse Zones, Delegations, Forwarders, Primary, Secondary, Stub, etc. All records that go along with this such A, CNAME, MX, PTR, etc.
    3. DHCP and WINS
    4. Accounts and Groups, Local vs. Domain, etc. How the Local and Domain groups work together
    5. NTFS and Share Permissions
    6. OUs, GPOs, Client Side Preferences. When you get here you really need to sit down and spend a lot of time fully understanding these. In my opinion, DNS and GPOs are the heart and soul of any Windows network. And often the most misunderstood.

That's probably enough to get you through most Server items on a small network. Next I'd probably start looking into SQL Server Maintenance and Exchange Admin.
    Last edited by vertices; 08-23-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by vertices
    I don't have any specific books for you. IMO, the best thing you can do is go buy any book on 2003 server that seems like it is easy to understand for you. Then I'd load up server 2003 on a box at home. I have all my guys do this. If you're not setting up something at home and playing on it, then you're really going to slow down your growth.

Then I'd go through the book and try out the stuff you read about, at home. Even if it's something you don't use at the office, or something you don't plan on using, it really helps to try out all the features and understand how they work and fit together. If you have a virtual server at home it's even easier because you can simply snapshot it before changes.

As far as specific areas, I'd problably focus on the following in this order:

1. The basics of TCP/IP. NAT, PAT, etc.
    2. DNS. SUPER IMPORTANT!! Fully understand DNS. Forward Zones, Reverse Zones, Delegations, Forwarders, Primary, Secondary, Stub, etc. All records that go along with this such A, CNAME, MX, PTR, etc.
    3. DHCP and WINS
    4. Accounts and Groups, Local vs. Domain, etc. How the Local and Domain groups work together
    5. NTFS and Share Permissions
    6. OUs, GPOs, Client Side Preferences. When you get here you really need to sit down and spend a lot of time fully understanding these. In my opinion, DNS and GPOs are the heart and soul of any Windows network. And often the most misunderstood.

That's probably enough to get you through most Server items on a small network. Next I'd probably start looking into SQL Server Maintenance and Exchange Admin.
    Thank you, sir! So you suggest buying a 2003 book as opposed to a basic networking book then, correct?

I've got TCP/IP at the top of the list. So maybe you could use 2 books. One on basic networking with TCP/IP and another on 2003 Server since that's what you use at work.

I'd just go to a bookstore and look through everything they have and find a couple that present the material in a way that works for you.

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by vertices
    I've got TCP/IP at the top of the list. So maybe you could use 2 books. One on basic networking with TCP/IP and another on 2003 Server since that's what you use at work.

I'd just go to a bookstore and look through everything they have and find a couple that present the material in a way that works for you.

Ok, cool!

Last edited by cat5e; 08-23-2008 at 01:55 PM.

CAT5e
    Microsoft, MVP - Networking

Sleeps with the Fishes
    dude try in google for tutorials and search in torrents for ebooks

Great White Shark
    System administration is a a bit different than network administration.

For system administration you need a foundation in the OS (Win2k3) and the clients OS (whatever).

For network administration you need to add expertise in the router, switches (Cisco) and protocol (TCP/IP) areas.

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549
    System administration is a a bit different than network administration.

For system administration you need a foundation in the OS (Win2k3) and the clients OS (whatever).

For network administration you need to add expertise in the router, switches (Cisco) and protocol (TCP/IP) areas.
    Me thinks I will be doing both. Our client OS is XP Pro which I know a bit about, the server side, not so much.