Blue Dragon

Sharky Forums

Thread: Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon

Just started playing this a week or two ago, I'm about 11 hours in, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The character customization feels like it's starting to take off, and if you get the DLC and start on hard mode there is actually a reasonable enough challenge to the game.

One thing I'm getting a kick out of is the difference in animations between the shadows; even in the same class casting the same spell or doing the same skill, they customized the motions each goes through, which is a nice touch.

The enemy designs are pretty cool so far, and I've loved the level design. Even though it's pretty linear, there is a feeling of exploration that has been absent from a lot of the other RPGs I've played lately; I can't wait to get to the next dungeon to see what awaits me, and trekking down all the available paths hasn't gotten old yet like it does in many games of this genre.

Also as I'm getting further into the game and more options become available for combat, I'm really starting to like the combat system and the "charging" mechanic. Basically, for most attacks, after you decide on what to do you can charge up the power at the expense of taking longer to cast (this doesn't apply to physicals, unless you're a monk or have equipped the monk's "charging" ability). For example, if you decide to cast a fire spell and the next three turns in battle are your teammates, you can either cast instantaneously or charge it up for more damage and potentially have the spell go off after your teammates. This is really helpful in some situations, such as when I wanted to stun the enemy party, but my character with the stun spell's turn came up before everyone else (hitting a stunned enemy takes away the status condition and returns them to normal) - I charged the spell with him, letting everyone else get their whacks in first, then the stun spell went off afterwards, hit all but one of the enemy monsters, and my team basically got a free turn.

It's all very light-hearted, and the storyline and characters aren't anything to write home about (unless you're writing about how ****ing annoying Marumaro is), but overall I'm enjoying it a lot so far even if it isn't exactly an instant classic. I've got Lost Odyssey on my shelf waiting for me to finish this, and thus far it looks like it will have a lot to live up to.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    I tried out the demo which left me feeling unimpressed. Though its good to hear you are enjoying the game. I might have to get it a second look if I can get it on the cheap.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I've been looking to try this as well. From what Ive heard from everyone is that it doesn nothing wrong but is a very by the numbers RPG, kind of like Dragon Quest 8. I want to finish up Tales of Vesperia first.
    my rig

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by dyne
    I've been looking to try this as well. From what Ive heard from everyone is that it doesn nothing wrong but is a very by the numbers RPG, kind of like Dragon Quest 8. I want to finish up Tales of Vesperia first.
    It is pretty by the numbers, but still enjoyable. Just don't expect anything revolutionary.

One problem I have run into, though, is that whenever I die after an hour or so in a dungeon it takes a few days for me to try again. It's like I enjoy everything the first time through, but if I have to replay a part it's just painful. Probably related to being too by the numbers; monsters, environments, level design, etc. are new the first time around, but if you have to replay it doesn't really keep itself fresh enough to be enjoyable.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

I just beat this game last night. It's a very good RPG with a lot of memorable content. By no means perfect, and often flawed. But the goodness more than makes up and it's, in my opinion, an essential RPG.

Cheap too!
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.87 GHz
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560
    G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10666
    (4096MB x2 CL9-9-9-24 1.5V)
    ASRock 870 Extreme 3
    Plextor M5S SSD
    Windows 7 x64 Compaq edition
    Viewsonic VX2233WM

Hmm, I bought this about 8 months ago, played it for maybe 5 hours and never played it again. Didn't really grab me. I think the part I stopped at was when the party crashed the plane after escaping from the base in the sky and were supposed to get back to town.

I've been meaning to get back into it but I just bought lost odyssey last weekend and I've been eyeing that too.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16874105468

Blue Dragon $13 shipped @ the egg.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    Very tempting. Thanks for the heads up.

I picked this up new at Gamestop for $19 this past weekend. Can't beat the price and it has been enjoyable so far.....good production values.

MSI X58 Pro-E Motherboard | i7-920, quad 2.66GHz | ATI 5870 |6 gig DDR3-1333 | Antec 850W | 1.5TB Seagate 7200rpm | LG W2452T
    ---------------------------------
    XBox 360 | PS 3 60 gig | Nintendo DS Lite| Sony PSP | Apple iPad |Panasonic TH-50PX50U Plasma | Samsung LN32B 640

I went ahead and ordered this from the egg. It feels familiar....like FF7 type familiar. That's not a bad thing at all. So far I've only fought poo, but it's fun.