Counter strike and shooting through walls??

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counter strike and shooting through walls??

Hybrid View

Counter strike and shooting through walls??

I used to play CS many years back and now I'm getting back into it. On the Source engine the game looks very nice. I've been playing cs_assault only and I've been getting very frustrated with getting shot at through walls. Now, I understand that in the assault map the main focal point of the combat is the big warehouse and that is made of a relatively thin aluminum but..........I'm finding that I'm getting shot while standing on a corner of a brick or concrete building. One time I was standing on one side of one of those large, reddish storage containers and a bullet went completely through and killed me.

Just wondering if anybody has witnessed this and if it's only on certain servers or on only certain maps.

A64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz
    Gigabyte GA-K8N-F nForce4 ATX
    2x1GB crucial DDR 400
    XFX Geforce 6800GS 256 GDDR3 PCI-Ex16
    Enermax EG425P-VE 2.0 420W
    WD 80 GB SATA HD
    WD 120 GB SATA HD
    Creative SB Audigy
    Viewonic 21" LCD

Now playing--Strat-o-matic Baseball, DOD, HL2, TF2, COD 2, Sim City4

Haven't played CS for some time but it all depends on the thickness I guess. I remember in Aztec, you could definitely and easily shoot through those big double doors and kill people on the other side. It was normal.
    Rig:
    P4 2.4C @ 3.0Ghz | Abit IC7 | Thermalright SLK 947U + Enermax 90mm | Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm | Corsair 3GB | PowerColor HD3850 AGP | Antec SLK3700AMB | Enermax Whisper II 535W | Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 | Samsung 931B | Logitech Z-2300 | WinXP Pro

Shooting through stuff is a function of:
    type of gun/bullet
    thickness of the barrier
    type of material

keep in mind some people call foul behind a thick barrier but they forget if you angle the shot through corners, the thickness is reduced significantly.
    Member of TSGG & ITG
    HEATWARE

Follow me down the rabbit hole:
    Spoiler

Mr Zurkon is here to kill PointlesS's Avatar
    I believe penetration is calculated by the thickness of the wall regardless of what texture is on it...although that can all be changed
    Lian Li PC-K7B | Intel i5 750 | 4GB A-Data 1600 | Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R | XFX Radeon 5850 | 2-640GB WD Caviar Blue | X-fi Xtrememusic | Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra | Dell U2311H | Antec Basiq Plus 550W | NEC 3550A | Win7 Ultimate x64
    and a whole lot of lovin..

Quote Originally Posted by PointlesS
    I believe penetration is calculated by the thickness of the wall regardless of what texture is on it...although that can all be changed
    That's what she said.

OK, I need to stop, too much of The Office.
    Rig:
    P4 2.4C @ 3.0Ghz | Abit IC7 | Thermalright SLK 947U + Enermax 90mm | Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm | Corsair 3GB | PowerColor HD3850 AGP | Antec SLK3700AMB | Enermax Whisper II 535W | Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 | Samsung 931B | Logitech Z-2300 | WinXP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Adamdc
    ...I'm finding that I'm getting shot while standing on a corner of a brick or concrete building.
    This is because of how Source/CS renders hitboxes. Just because you can't see the enemy, doesn't mean they can't hit you. Your hitbox is larger than you are, and often leads your character in the direction you are facing. In order to avoid getting hit around corner in CS you have to stay 1-2 heads away from the edge of any object or wall.

Because most of the maps in CS are extremely linear, people pretty much have them memorized. They know where you are likely to be, and they can just shoot where they suspect your hitbox might be and get you every time. It's how you get headshot while sitting behind a box when you think to yourself, "He must be hacking. He didn't see me, there is no way he could know where I am, and he can't see me! Hax!" It's not. Try it yourself sometime. Just start shooting above and around boxes where you know someone probably is. You'll start racking up headshots without ever ever seeing people.

All the above plus the possibility that somebody is using wallhacks and are getting away with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    We should nuke the United States.
    i7-930 CPU w. Scythe Mugen2, Intel DX58SO mobo, WD Raptor 600GB 10K RPM HDD, 8GB PC12800 RAM, nVidia GTX285 2GB w. Artic Cooling Extreme, Antec P182SE case, Enermax MODU87+ 850W PSU, Vista 64 bit business, Xeno 128MB PCIe Killer NIC, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe, Viewsonic 28" VX2835wm LCD

Quote Originally Posted by Spank_Me_Hard
    All the above plus the possibility that somebody is using wallhacks and are getting away with it...
    That's what I was getting at!!! Do alot of people use wall hacks in this game? I thought 'VAC' was invincible.

A64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz
    2x1GB crucial DDR 400
    WD 80 GB SATA HD
    WD 120 GB SATA HD
    Creative SB Audigy
    Viewonic 21" LCD

It shouldn't happen too much. If you continue to play and don't get shot through walls nearly as much then perhaps someone where you were playing was hacking. I shoot through thin walls like a crazy man, but just cause I'm a dope.

btw, the Urban Bushido servers are the best. Almost always admins on, good folks all around.
    Last edited by Adaman; 09-23-2008 at 06:53 PM.
    Pages I liked that I found with StumbleUpon

My System:
    Intel E7200 Wolfdale Dual Core processor @ 3.4 ghz
    BFG Tech ES SERIES ES-800 800W Continuous Power supply
    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
    4GB Corsair DOMINATOR (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    22" CHIMEI CMV 221D-NBC Black LCD Monitor
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 video card
    Creative Labs X-fi
    Denon AH-D2000 Headphones w/Headsave Classic V2 Headphone Amp
    Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by Adaman
    btw, the Urban Bushido servers are the best. Almost always admins on, good folks all around.
    I agree.

I go there frequently as well.
    i7-930 CPU w. Scythe Mugen2, Intel DX58SO mobo, WD Raptor 600GB 10K RPM HDD, 8GB PC12800 RAM, nVidia GTX285 2GB w. Artic Cooling Extreme, Antec P182SE case, Enermax MODU87+ 850W PSU, Vista 64 bit business, Xeno 128MB PCIe Killer NIC, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe, Viewsonic 28" VX2835wm LCD

Quote Originally Posted by Adamdc
    That's what I was getting at!!! Do alot of people use wall hacks in this game? I thought 'VAC' was invincible.
    Hacks are still fairly prevelant in CS:S unfortunately.

I play on some pretty good servers where there is zero tolerance for it and where there is always an admin.

People are constantly getting booted for hacking and as far as I can see it's usually pretty obvious. Speed hacks, rapid fire, aim bots, etc. They are usually exposed in fairly short order and are banned.

Getting shot through a wall or whatever when the other player can't see you is part of the game and you have to just deal with it. It happens sometimes.

As some posters have mentioned here, some players are better at it than others (i.e. knowing where it's common for you to be).

But I also think that hacking is very common in CS as well... and if there is no admin will often go undiscovered or unpunished. And for whatever reason, people are reluctant to discuss the problem.

no idea on the current state of source engine cheating, but i remember shooting through walls not being much of an issue in CSS. most of the problems are stated above (though i still think the the hitbox thing is all in the netcode and is not a real issue) and they mostly occur at the beginning of rounds. at the start of a round, experienced enemy players know where you will be (around blind corners, outside doors, ect) and will find thin materials (and wall corners) to shoot through. you just have to learn to stay away. also i seem to remember thicker cover (crates and such) providing much better cover in battle.

once the crowd thins after the start of a round, it's mostly just a reflexes game (unless you're camping).
    |_________________|

main rig: C2D E7200 \\ Biostar P43 \\ 2GB DDR2 \\ 8800GT \\ 21" Gateway
    intermittently playing: forza 3, rock band, tf2

Quote Originally Posted by brblx
    no idea on the current state of source engine cheating, but i remember shooting through walls not being much of an issue in CSS. most of the problems are stated above (though i still think the the hitbox thing is all in the netcode and is not a real issue) and they mostly occur at the beginning of rounds. at the start of a round, experienced enemy players know where you will be (around blind corners, outside doors, ect) and will find thin materials (and wall corners) to shoot through. you just have to learn to stay away. also i seem to remember thicker cover (crates and such) providing much better cover in battle.

once the crowd thins after the start of a round, it's mostly just a reflexes game (unless you're camping).
    It's a combination of both netcode and hitboxes. At least it was in the original CS. Truth be told I haven't played around enough with late versions of source. But you can even hit people around corner in a LAN game.

The reality is that the neither HL or Source was ever designed for accuracy. It was designed to be quick, agile, and scalable. It's just a piss poor engine for tactical shooters. I even realized that way back in the TFC days playing the sniper, but it just didn't really matter then.

In order to play CS "right" you have to get on a server with good people and a modified tickrate. The proper tickrate for the server can help minimize the negative effect of the netcode, but the hitboxes are still hit and miss (lol, puns).

Yea you can shoot through the brick walls on assault with rifles. Those wall shots have been like that since CS came out for HL1, nothing new there. I'm pretty sure you can shoot through the corners of the containers no prob as well.

Corsair 550vx
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
    C2D e6750 @ 2.66
    2 gig ram
    Asus Radeon 4850
    Audigy 2

Is it true that the hitboxes are much larger than your actual character??

That explains the pistol headshots from one end of the map to the other!

A64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz
    2x1GB crucial DDR 400
    WD 80 GB SATA HD
    WD 120 GB SATA HD
    Creative SB Audigy
    Viewonic 21" LCD