An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

Sharky Forums

Thread: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

Reef Shark

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

I've been seeing this error in Event Viewer for a while now.
    I've replaced more than 1 hard drive in this pc, yet the error still surfaces.
    Found this post:
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/cont...c/12946/?o=140
    They are using almost the exact same motherboard i have:
    ASUS SLI A8N Premium

I've got one sata hard drive installed, 1 (ide) DVD-RW and a floppy disk drive.

Could "Harddisk1" in the error be referring to my DVD-RW?

Information about event ID 51
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780/en-us
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

If you've replaced whatever hard drive "D:" is and you're still getting the error, replace the cable. If you're still getting the error try a different SATA port (preferably on a different SATA chipset if your mobo has more than 1 type, like Intel/Marvell or whatever). If you're still getting an error you probably have a bad IO chipset on the motherboard.

Edit: wait, you only have 1 hard drive? I assume it's partitioned into multiple letters then? Try the drive on a different sata port.

Edit2: you're not using any external hard drives are you?
    Last edited by MrDigital; 10-21-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Reef Shark
    I used to have mulitple hard drives.
    Today I have 1 sata hardrive
    One IDE DVD/RW
    And now i've one external hd.

But my D: drive is the DVD/RW device.
    My sata hardrive has only 1 partition and it's drive letter C:
    My external hardrive is E:

It's probably your external hard drive that's having problems.

HardDisk0 will be your internal.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Reef Shark
    I don't think so, these errors pre-date my external hard drive.

From the link I posted above:

For example, event ID 51 is logged when blank media such as CDR, CDRW, DVDR, and so on, is inserted into a writable drive while a USB device is plugged in.
    If the machine is running fine, I'd wouldn't be too concerned about the error.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Reef Shark
    Yeah, that's sorta what i was thinking.
    For example, event ID 51 is logged when blank media such as CDR, CDRW, DVDR, and so on, is inserted into a writable drive while a USB device is plugged in.
    I read that too, but that's not the case here, there is no blank media in the drive.
    I'm a bit worried today since i'm seeing a lot more of these errors surface in Event Viewer.
    I've updated my BIOS today so we'll see if the error returns.
    Then i'll start disconnecting devices, leaving just the sata hdd.
    If errors are still there i'll try a different sata cable, if that doesn't do it i suppose i'll try to connect it to sata2, sata3, sata4.

Download and run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility (they all run from floppy, so you don't need to get into Windows), and see what it reports. Here are the common ones:

Seagate Seatools

IBM / Hitachi Drive Fitness Test

Maxtor Maxblast 3

Maxtor PowerMax

Western Digital Software & Drivers

Fujitsu Utilities

Reef Shark
    Ran an Advanced Scan, came up clean.
    So it must not be the hard drive.
    Thanks for those links.

Sushi
    For me the problem lies with the Nvidia 15.46 drivers.. Had the same HD errors.. Memtest86, spinrite 6.0 and avira antivirus reported no issues..XP failed after reboot.. safe mode failed too.. had to format a reinstall xp. I tried installing the 15.46 drivers after a fresh xp install thinking that upgrading from an older version was the problem... System had the hd error within ten minutes and first rebooti failed immediately.. could not repair xp.. safe mode fails too.. I was able to get past the splash screen in safe mode but the keyboard and mouse were unresponsive.. had to format AGAIN.
    Ive been running fine ever since ... Stay away from the 15.46 Nvidia Drivers