AMD vs Intel

Sharky Forums

Thread: AMD vs Intel

Expensive Sushi

AMD vs Intel

I have been a fan of AMD up until now. but now I am having second thoughts about them.

Are they going to get any better over the next couple of months?
    Or is Intel the way to go.

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    If you are going to get a new CPU in the next couple of months it will be best to go with an Intel chip.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

Tiger Shark
    AMD will improve with their 45nm offerings, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will close the gap. I've never bought intel for a rig I built myself before, but I wouldn't even consider AMD right now.

Mine: Core i7-920 + Xigmatek S1283 // Gigabyte UD4P // gigabyte windforce hd6870 // 3x2GB Corsair DDR3-1333 // Antec 900 V2 // Corsair TX750 // WD 640GB Cav. blue // Samsung TOC T240 24"

kids: PhII 550 BE (quad unlocked) + freezer pro 64 // Gigabyte UD2H // 2x2GB Corsair DDR3-1600 // CM Centurion 5 // gtx260-216 // Corsair HX620 // WD 640GB Cav. black // some 22" monitor

I dont think you would notice a diff if all you did was normal stuff. Even gaming is mostly gpu bound these days so unless your doing some serious video or sound editing. But the fact remains that intel has the faster product and if the price is around the same, it would be foolish to go amd. Ive always been an amd guy myself and ill be getting a phenom but only because my board supports it and i dont have the money for a proc and a mobo....
    either way you will be happy. cheers
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

magniloquent prick
    i thought you said you already had a 790FX board and that is why you are with AMD.

why don't you do some reading on anandtech.com rather than taking loads of inconsistent anecdotal evidence from a bunch of forum goons like ourselves?
    Last edited by iamsostupid; 11-12-2008 at 11:41 AM.

i never said i owned a 790fx board. that was in cybers post...and like i just said, if i had the money i would go intel at this point but more the ocing ability to truly have a faster system. i wouldnt spend it on a 790 chipset

and i do read reviews, thats why i said if you just do normal stuff and even gaming it wont make much of a diff. games these days are much more gpu bound than they used to be.
    http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?t=313251

as BL1NK's post stated with the article, it goes to show how much games these days are gpu bound. to really get a good boost you need a top notch intel chip which costs a ton. or you can oc but the OP didnt mention anything about that...if he does oc then the choice is obvious but still, its not gonna net you that much. if you like amd, i see no prob going with them.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-ph...cessor-tested/

this dosent look bad to me at all- especially when oced to 3 gig (if the OP does indeed OC )

im not trying to argue with you on this iamsostupid. im just trying to throw in facts. people really eat these benchmarks up. sure they hold bearing if you do stuff like hard core video or something but if its just a basic rig for gaming or normal day to day apps i honestly dont see a diff. i have a friend who has basically the same system specs except his has a 2.4 gig intel quad cor oced to 2.8 and if you were to use both of our systems, i can garantee you wouldnt be able to tell who was using intel or amd. and i have used both systems side by side.

edit: and i like you goons
    Last edited by Squirrel Meat; 11-12-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio

magniloquent prick
    i was definitely talking to the OP. he has a miniseries going on in the general hardware forum. he says he has a 790FX.

he's asking all of us for opinions and so far no one has presented any data. just talk. this is further confounding because people are not only saying "GO WITH INTEL" but that also means he should junk his existing and perfectly usable 790FX. so i offer him to find out on his own what's at anandtech.com, bit-tech.net yada yada. of course we are all experienced builders, overclockers and goons, but we cannot be expected to teach him things in ways that he'll understand forever. he needs to do his own reading. even if my post were directed at you, it would be impossible to disagree because we are saying the same thing.

my opinion of his situation is that he doesn't understand how unimportant the CPU is in most high-resolution games, particularly shooters. his very limited budget begs him to get a cheap K8 and a powerful Radeon. i've said this 4 times now.
    Last edited by iamsostupid; 11-12-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsostupid View Post
    i was definitely talking to the OP. he has a miniseries going on in the general hardware forum. he says he has a 790FX.

he's asking all of us for opinions and so far no one has presented any data. just talk. this is further confounding because people are not only saying "GO WITH INTEL" but that also means he should junk his existing and perfectly usable 790FX. so i offer him to find out on his own what's at anandtech.com, bit-tech.net yada yada. of course we are all experienced builders, overclockers and goons, but we cannot be expected to teach him things in ways that he'll understand forever. he needs to do his own reading. even if my post were directed at you, it would be impossible to disagree because we are saying the same thing.

my opinion of his situation is that he doesn't understand how unimportant the CPU is in most high-resolution games, particularly shooters. his very limited budget begs him to get a cheap K8 and a powerful Radeon. i've said this 4 times now.

my mistake I thought you were throwing that at me and completely tossed it in a different direction. but be aware that my misplaced response was meant with respect and not flamming at all.

but i think my last post holds some bearing with the op after all! it kinda goes hand in hand with what we are both saying lol. not too shabby eh?
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Meat View Post
    i never said i owned a 790fx board. that was in cybers post...and like i just said, if i had the money i would go intel at this point but more the ocing ability to truly have a faster system. i wouldnt spend it on a 790 chipset

and i do read reviews, thats why i said if you just do normal stuff and even gaming it wont make much of a diff. games these days are much more gpu bound than they used to be.
    http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?t=313251

as BL1NK's post stated with the article, it goes to show how much games these days are gpu bound. to really get a good boost you need a top notch intel chip which costs a ton. or you can oc but the OP didnt mention anything about that...if he does oc then the choice is obvious but still, its not gonna net you that much. if you like amd, i see no prob going with them.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-ph...cessor-tested/

this dosent look bad to me at all- especially when oced to 3 gig (if the OP does indeed OC )

im not trying to argue with you on this iamsostupid. im just trying to throw in facts. people really eat these benchmarks up. sure they hold bearing if you do stuff like hard core video or something but if its just a basic rig for gaming or normal day to day apps i honestly dont see a diff. i have a friend who has basically the same system specs except his has a 2.4 gig intel quad cor oced to 2.8 and if you were to use both of our systems, i can garantee you wouldnt be able to tell who was using intel or amd. and i have used both systems side by side.

edit: and i like you goons
    thanks, you put that very nicely indeed