Whats The Difference?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Whats The Difference?

Question Whats The Difference?

I have two Socket 462 3200+'s both are 400FSB 512KB just want to know the difference between the green one and the i guess i can say the gold one? Thanks Austin

Just a wild guess - they're made by different companies

And, which parts are green or gold?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

magniloquent prick
    are you talking about the die surface? they were both diffused in dresden, i can assure you.

yes the die area of the chip one chip is green and the other is gold so only difference is just both of the chips are made in one factory and they made 2 different colors? or is their more?

magniloquent prick
    one die is larger? the larger one will likely have the 512KB L2 cache and the smaller, older chip will have only 256k.

seeing that they both run on 400MHz FSBs they have to at least be from the thoroughbred/barton time frame, meaning they are both 130 nanometer chips.
    Last edited by iamsostupid; 11-12-2008 at 03:40 PM.

they both have the 4E at the end of the identification tag on the chip and also i was thinking the green one could be the Throughbred and the gold one can be the Barton Core

magniloquent prick
    is one actually bigger than the other? can you put them in a system and start them up for me?

well i wish i could man but i am at a friends house using the internet but when i get home i will put the chips on top of each other and see if there is any differences and what information do i need to write down when i get it to the POST or do i need to get inside the CMOS i use a MSI K7N2 Delta 2 MoBo with SuperTalent 184Pin DDR400 Dual Channel 1GB Kit with a Masscool 80MM CPU Cooler 480Watt PSU

magniloquent prick
    if you can measure the length and width of each die i will be able to tell you what they are.

if you can get into windows there is a tiny program called cpu-z that will tell you whatever you want to know.

yea i will measure with a ruler on each side of each cpu and yea thats true i forgot about CPU-Z thank you for all ur help if u have any questions or more research please let me know and i will try to help too lol Thanks Again Austin