Multiple FTP sites hosted with IIs 7?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Multiple FTP sites hosted with IIs 7?

Catfish

Multiple FTP sites hosted with IIs 7?

I have a windows server running 2008 at my house. I have IIs 7 running on it. I have one FTP site running and it works great. I can access from inside and outside my network. Now I"ve come into a situation where I would like to create a second ftp site with generic login with limited rights. I have created the user/group and given in AD and given that group the appriate rights. Now the problem I get is when I create this second FTP site. I am unable to use port 21 because when I do it say's that port 21 is already in use (1st ftp site running). So I have tried to use a different port to no avail. I have forwarded the port in my router and firewall. I know it works because if I turn off the first ftp site and give the second site port 21 I can connect to it fine. It is only when I use a different port other then 21 that I get an issue. Using Filezilla client I get the following

Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Passive mode failed.
    Command: PORT 10,96,9,25,194,110
    Response: 501 Server cannot accept argument.
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I have searched and searched for a good solution to this but I have not found anything. I should mention that I use No-Ip as my dynamic IP redirect service. Not sure if that has anything to do with how I need to set this up or not but thought I should mention it. Anyway this is bugging me to no end.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Great White Shark
    FTP requires 2 ports, one for control and one for data.
    Did you assign 2 additional ports in your router to forward?

I usually set up multiple IP addresses on a box that services several sites.

Catfish
    How do you go about setting up multiple IP address's on the same box?

in my router I have port 21 forwarded for site one and 22 for site 2.

Port 22 may already be in use. Most of the first 1024 ports on a computer are reserved for specific tasks. If you need to assign another port, you should always use one above 1024. 65535 is the highest port available.
    Intel Q6600 @ 334x9 [] Giga-Byte P35-DS3R [] 6GB GSkill DDR2-800 4-4-5 [] Radeon HD 2900 XT 512MB [] Seagate 7200.8 250GB + WD 320GB x3 in RAID 5 [] Pioneer slot-load 16x DVD [] Lite-On 32x12x40x CDRW [] Onboard Sound -> Altec Lansing 641 speakers [] ESI Juli@ -> Practical Devices XM4 -> AudioTechnica A900 headphones [] Mitsubishi 200NF 22" Diamondtron CRT [] Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Foobar 2000 is better than your current music player/library!

Great White Shark
    Just add another static IP to the NIC using the normal setup dialog.
    I don't have a Win2k3 box readily available or a Win2k8 box to post more details.

Normal FTP uses both port 20 and port 21. It won't work with a single port.

Catfish
    I don't get it. I have changed the ports, added ports and nothing works. If I stop my first ftp site and set the second one to port 21 it connects fine. It's only when I try using it on a different port. And if I do attepmt to connect to it with it set to a different port it sort of connects but I don't get the directory listing. I get the error stated above. I looked on the server under ftp sessions and it even shows an active session. where is the problem here?

Great White Shark
    Connecting to an ftp site that uses a non-standard set of ports requires knowledge of what port to use on the remote end.
    For example: ftp://mysite.com:8021 to connect to an ftp server using ports 8020 and 8021.

Another thought is why don't you let the login credentials establish the folders that the user can see?

That's how most ftp sites operate.
    Last edited by ua549; 03-31-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Catfish
    I did some testing from home and internally setting up filezilla on another pc on my netowrk I can connect using the internal ip of the server. It is only when I try using my redirect host name I get the problem. I wonder why though using that No-ip host name is causing an issue.

As for your though ua549 I will take a closer look at what you suggest. I guess i just figured you would need a sepearte site if it was for a seperate account. Interesting.

IIS FTP is GARBAGE. I can't recommend more highly that you get a 3rd party FTP solution. There are many free ones which work exceptionally well.

I used to use Serv-U but in the last year or two I discovered Filezilla server which works just as well and it's free.

What UA suggests is the correct method: single server, multiple logins that are assigned to whatever folders you use.

On one of my FTP servers I have over 400 accounts that are assigned to probably about 80 different locations on the server.

http://filezilla-project.org/

IIS FTP is easily the single worst FTP server I've ever used.
    Last edited by MrDigital; 04-01-2009 at 12:11 AM.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Catfish
    Yea I was thinking of trying out Filezilla as an ftp server. I did run serve-U a while back as well. I guess i really didn't want to go the 3rd party rout just because it's built right into the server and it seemed like you could do what I was trying to do with IIS. Not a big deal I guess. Just seemed when I started playing with IIS7 it was actaully pretty nice. But now I'm starting to think otherwise.

I have setup my other account to have access to only the directory that I want them to access. Only thing I can't figure out how to do is make it so that is all they see. Minor detail but still I'd rather them only see what they need to. Even if they can't access the other stuff.
    Last edited by gciszewski; 04-01-2009 at 09:44 AM.