MS-Excel 2007 takes too long to open a file

Sharky Forums

Thread: MS-Excel 2007 takes too long to open a file

Goldfish

MS-Excel 2007 takes too long to open a file

I'm using XP pro and Excel-2007. Recently switched to Office 2007 (from Office 2003) and have the following problem when opening any Excel file:

When I try to open an Excel file, MS-Excel starts right away but it takes while (MUCH LONGER as compared with Excel-2003) before the file opens/gets displayed. BTW, I do not have any add-ins enabled.

Can anyone please help me solve this problem?

Approx how long is MUCH LONGER? Is it closer to 8 to 10 seconds or two minutes?

If you Save As and select Excel 97-2003 format do you have the same problem?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Goldfish
    Well a friend of my has an old and MUCH slower PC but he does not face the same problem. I have Core 2 Duo processor (1.80 Ghz.) and 2 GB RAM.

I'm glad you have a newer pc then your friend does But, what are the answers to these questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Approx how long is MUCH LONGER? Is it closer to 8 to 10 seconds or two minutes?

If you Save As and select Excel 97-2003 format do you have the same problem?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Goldfish
    I'd say it takes about 20 seconds.

Answer to your 2nd question: Yes the same problem if I save as Excel 97-2003.

BTW, I was reading somewhere that if I install SP2 for Office, that will solve problems.

I also came across the following:
    This is so frustrating. Not sure what I should do. Why doesn't Microsoft put out a new version only after they have tested it for at least 2 years. Will flip a coin a give one of these a try (starting with the simple one first).

Goldfish

Smile Problem Solved (I think)

We'll I downloaded to install SP2 for Office2007 but decided to search one last time before installing the SP2.

Luckily I came across a solution (shared below for benefit of all members) and the solution basically boiled down to deleting PERSONAL.XLS. Please see details below:

Background: The new XLSTART folder for Office 2007 is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART But, if you upgraded from a previous version, there may still be a personal macro workbook called “PERSONAL.XLS” located in the old location: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Fix: To correct the delayed file opening problem, just delete the old PERSONAL.XLS file