Excel2007 Problem: When opening a new Excel File

Sharky Forums

Thread: Excel2007 Problem: When opening a new Excel File

Goldfish

Excel2007 Problem: When opening a new Excel File

Recently made the mistake of switching from Office 2003 to Office 2007 and life has been pretty frustrating since then

Here's another problem: When I go to Start | New Microsoft Office Document | General Tab | Blank Workbook

Excel pops up almost right away but after about 10 seconds (which in my opinion is a big delay) a dialog box pops up saying "The program associated with the selected template cannot be started, or the program cannot use the selected template"

For now I just press on the OK button and start a new Excel file but how can I get rid of this problem once and for all.

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

Goldfish
    Hi richardginn,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the KB applies to Old versions of Excel and since I am new to Office 2007, I could not find what is the equivalent of "Tools | Options" in Excel 2007.

Goldfish
    Problem Solved (I think)

I downloaded to install SP2 for Office2007 but decided to search one last time before installing the SP2.

Luckily I came across a solution (shared below for benefit of all members) and the solution basically boiled down to deleting PERSONAL.XLS. Please see details below:

Background: The new XLSTART folder for Office 2007 is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART But, if you upgraded from a previous version, there may still be a personal macro workbook called “PERSONAL.XLS” located in the old location: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Fix: To correct the delayed file opening problem, just delete the old PERSONAL.XLS file