Wrong monitor detected?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Wrong monitor detected?

Question Wrong monitor detected?

Hi.
    I have Planar PL2010M monitor which suppose to have resolution 1600x1200. Both my computer and laptop detect it as a Novatek 563A with max resolution 1280x1024. What is going on?
    I haven't really used it in a while, so not sure if it was always like that.

Thanks
    UD
    01+01=10

Have you looked on Planar's web site to see if they have any drivers that might help?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Monitors have built-in hardware that tells the video card what it's specs are. It does this through DDC, but if the video card driver doesn't properly read or support the DDC, then you may end up with a situation like yours.

Check the manufacturer's web site. You won't find a driver, because monitors don't have drivers. What you may find is an INF file that can be installed to manually tell the system about the specifications of your monitor.

If you can't find one on the manufacturer's site, you may be able to use the following information to build your own. An INF file is just a text file, so you can use any text editor to build it.

http://www.osronline.com/DDKx/graphi...intro_24h3.htm

Another simple fix may be to simply go to the Display Properties tab, click the Advanced button, go to the monitor tab, and remove the checkmark from the box that says "Hide modes this monitor cannot display." The modes that are shown to you are based on the information of the detected monitor, which in this case is wrong. This may give you access to the proper native resolution of your monitor, even though it has detected the wrong model.
    Last edited by Un4given; 05-28-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
    Hi.
    I have Planar PL2010M monitor which suppose to have resolution 1600x1200. Both my computer and laptop detect it as a Novatek 563A with max resolution 1280x1024. What is going on?
    I haven't really used it in a while, so not sure if it was always like that.

Thanks
    UD

Hey,
    I am aware this is an old thread.
    I solved this question today. I have 2 x 2010M screens and they both had the Novatek / 1280x1024 issue crop up at the same time pointing to the faulty parts.
    Then, I realized that when the power supply starts to go bad, things went wrong and I had to get a 12v 4.16A replacement.
    With the proper replaced 4.16A plug, the monitor behaves 100% with custom resolutions and brightness. With any other 12v PSU something goes wrong.

Signed up here to pass this on...