Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ problem-Setting up shares

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ problem-Setting up shares

Hybrid View

Catfish

Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ problem-Setting up shares

Guys, I just upgraded to 4x1.5TB drives and my first issue is, I'm only getting 4.1TB and I thought I'd get 4.5tb or so but in any case, I want to set up ONE share only, AND for the full size, but it only allows me to set 2097151MB or roughly 2TB.
    What am I doing wrong?

I've got the latest firmware and I just did a factory restore and did Xraid on the unit.

This is linux for chrissake, there should be no 2tb limitations?

Thanks

GEorge

The ReadyNAS has a 2TB limit, at least according to this thread:
    http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewto...p?f=71&t=27531
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Catfish
    Actually, I just got a reply from them and it doesn't, I finally got it set up for 4 gigs but it depends apparently on HOW you set the shares up.

Here's the thread on their site http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewto...165965#p165965

What I was doing was ENTERING a size, ie, the size I wanted but for some reason, NOT entering share size does the trick...oh well, makes little sense to me but if that's what it takes, that's fine with me.

Thanks bro

GEorge

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    You wont get 4.5TB, remember HD's are not 1000MB but 1024MB so a 4x 1.5GB (I have) is only 4.2GB actual size.

I have their ReadyNAS Pro now, which has 6x 1.5TB as well.

I am using their latest beta on my NV+ and latest release on my Pro.

Pondering dropping both for an 8 bay QSNAP or some other brand.

Are you using XRAID? or RAID 5?

I use their website quite often for reading and plugins.

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

Catfish
    Hey, yeah, I figured the size thing out. It's set up for X raid which IS raid 5, right? I mean, it IS redundant, right?

Why are you considering dropping it for a bigger unit?

George

Yes XRAID is a form of RAID5. It is redundant that if a single drive fails, the unit will still continue to operate and construct the missing data on the fly.

The reason for a larger unit is that 9TB is not enough. I want 8x 1.5TB or 8x 2TB drives. =) So I can sell both my NV+ and PRO off and still make out with extra $$$.

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

(18) WD 16TB Red

Catfish
    Thanks bro. I figured it was a storage thing but wanted to make sure. Are you interested at all in the new Drobo or not?

Catfish
    When I get money I'll have a new computer built and I'll sell the old one. I'm putting a raid card and shitload of drives in the old one which by the way is what I wanted here but that never happened.

ALso, this time I might bump it up to raid 6 for even more redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    When I get money I'll have a new computer built and I'll sell the old one. I'm putting a raid card and shitload of drives in the old one which by the way is what I wanted here but that never happened.

ALso, this time I might bump it up to raid 6 for even more redundancy.
    Yeah that is another reason is that with RAID 5, the more drives you have over 3, the less redundant the array is. Obviously with some exceptions, such as hot spares.

I didnt like the Drobo, so no that will not be an option for me. Read a bit to many bad things about it.

RAID has its place depending on what the user wants and needs. Personally I like speed for most of my desktops (5 of them) all run RAID 0 and a some sort of mirroring as well.

(18) WD 16TB Red

Catfish
    Yeah, speed is important for me too and I guess raid 5 is enough when you have external raid for storage too.

I use RAID10 in all of servers and desktops now. I just can't go back to anything else.

Catfish
    That's mirroring AND striping or what?

Would you explain the pros and cons of 10 vs 5 and 6 please (SIMPLE terms please) and how many drives you need for how much storage, etc. Let's say you're using 1TB drives to keep the math simple for me.

You can't do raid 10 with a readynas can you? I know I can do with a raid card in the puter but not sure about the readynas..

RAID 10 is a stripped set of mirrored drives. But at a loss of 50% total capacity. Required 4 drives. So four 1TB drives = 2TB of raw storage.

RAID 5 is a configuration that will strip the data across 3 or more drives. The total loss is minimized as the number of drives increase. However the risk of more then a single drive failure increases.

RAID 6 is very similar to RAID 5, but can allow for 2 drives to fail. Usually better with larger number of drives.

The NV+ does not do RAID 10 or 6. Only 0,1,5 or XRAID.

(18) WD 16TB Red

Catfish
    Hiya big guy.

So, speed difference wise, what's the difference?

I thought I'd get a 3ware raid card in the new puter (IF I get a new one) and put a raid 6 in there and prolly go down to 1tb's instead of the 1.5's (WD's). I've already lost one drive and a few other ones are failing tests.

I guess there's too much density and frankly, since I'm going with a big case, I should have the space. Actually, I'm thinking about getting a rack and cramming all my **** in there including the UPS's and my stereo and cable box and stuff.

Whatchallthink?

Who here knows about servers and racks and stuff. I want to know a few things about how the racks work as in putting equipment in them.

Phoenix, AZ USA... the one just south of Canada
    be aware that raid 6, while nice, comes with a pretty hefty cpu price. unless you get a pretty high end perc/raid card, the parity calculations will be done by your cpu which will slow your system down overall. then you can forget about it during a raid reconstruct once a drive fails. You are at its mercy until the reconstruct completes assuming you can get a spare drive in there and nothing else goes wrong. as sad as it seems, raid 1+0 is still probably the best poor mans solution. Create a raid 0 stripe, then mirror it.
    MMMMMMMMMM...... BAR-B-Q
    -- Homer Simpson