Help with "new" computer boot problem

Sharky Forums

Thread: Help with "new" computer boot problem

Mako Shark

Help with "new" computer boot problem

I just got an Optiplex GX270 for the office. It has a P42.8/512megs ram. Anyway, the guy booted it up for me before I bought it and everything worked fine. I got it home and it won't boot properly. I turn it on and it goes to the Windows XP screen then the monitor switches to stand by and the screen goes black. The computer seems to be running okay. I hooked up the other computer I was configuring and it boots fine using the monitor so the monitor is fine. The only thing I can think of is it was hooked to an LCD monitor when he tested it and I have a CRT. Could that have anything to do with it. It is incredibly frustrating.

How old is the monitor? Have you tried booting it in VGA Mode?

Press F8 repeatedly between when the Dell BIOS splash screen displays and when Windows starts to boot. The advanced boot screen will display; just arrow down and select VGA Mode.

If the PC boots OK like this (albeit with crappy color and resolution) it means that the resolution and/or monitor refresh rate is set too high for your monitor. Try setting it to something lower like 800x600 and then reboot.

If it reboots OK again, try installing the monitor drivers for your specific monitor model so that Windows will only allow monitor settings that it knows your monitor can handle.
    New Rig: Pentium 120@120Mhz (fanless heat sink), 16MB EDO DRAM, S3 Trio 64V+ PCI 1MB, 1.2GB Western Digital HD, 8X TEAC CD-ROM, TEAC Floppy Drive, Aztec 14.4 Modem/Sound Galaxy Washington 16 Sound Card Combo, 150-Watt AT PSU, Packard Bell Desktop Case, Packard Bell 15" VGA Monitor

Mako Shark
    That took care of it thanks.