Mass Effect 2 - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass Effect 2

I'm a bit disapointed by the game. It's not a bad game but as far as I'm concerned it's not a better game than ME 1 and that's what I wanted.

My problems are:

First they changed pretty much every underlying mechanic, throwing what was good with what was bad and put good and bad things back in again. I'd rather they had improved the worst aspect and kept what worked. However the things they did right outweighs the things they missed enough to keep the balance.

Second the story is good but is not as well told as the first and feels pretty formulaic, recruit/loyalty, rinse/repeat. It seems they fell to the 2nd amidst a trilogy curse, most of the discovery was already done in number 1, most of the interesting stuff have to be kept under wraps for number 3. The sidekicks are developed a ton more than in the first and that makes for some very good dialogs and some awesome movie worthy scenes (animation and directing and voice talents are pretty impressive), but that leaves the "main quest" in the dust while this should have been the keystone between the 1st and 3rd story arcs.

And third, the real sore spot for me, all this development on the characters leaves any failings as a glaring sore spot. I've got two problems with those characters.

1) Loyalty is a big word and it's way too easy to convince them imo. Seeing Zaeed agree with my goody two shoes Paragon felt contrived. Having them all be loyal to you should have a cost, a moral one, and should take a bit more time than some of the missions we have in the game. In a game that delves in more darker place than the first, you should have to compromise, or at the very least meet them half way, or choose to stick to your ideals and suffer the consequences.

2) As in ME 1 they don't really interact with one another and with the things happening around you. In ME 1 Kaydan had nothing to say about the rebellious human biotics in the few missions about them while 90% of his dialogs with you was about mistreatment of human biotics. In ME 2 you can freely talk about the genophage with Mordin in front of Grunt without fear of his reactions, he won't react at all.

I also hope all this time we spent with them won't go to waste in ME 3. I find the Wrex, Liara and Ashley/Kaydan moments pretty lacking, and since all the ME 2 guys can die I wonder how much they'll be a part of ME 3.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, I'd recommend it to my friends without blinking (I did), but I can't say it's an improvement on the first.
    Last edited by Lee_T; 02-12-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    Professional lurker

Hammerhead Shark
    Loyalty was too formulaic, and it didn't feel like you accomplished anything. In fact, I thought
    Spoiler

Was more useful in protecting the galaxy than
    Spoiler
    Current Rig: Q6600 @2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9700 | 6 GB Corsair XM2 DDR2 RAM @ 736 MHz | 2 x 150 GB Raptors Raid 0 | Asus Dark Knight 4870 512 MB | Gigabyte EP45-U3DL Motherboard | ASUS VW266H Panel | Lian Li PC-V1200Bplus

XBL Gamertag: Recursivity
    http://xclite.net

Now Playing: Left4Dead, Team Fortress 2, Killing Floor, Dawn of War 2

I unfortunately lost my saves for the first game. I think I'm going to play through the first game again, then the second again.

The worst thing about the second is the damn mining. It's so boring, but somewhat necessary.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (Tuniq Tower 120) - DFI Lanparty LT P35-T2R - 8GB Corsair DDR2-800 - eVGA GTX 275 SC - SoundBlaster X-Fi - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB - Seagate 7200.10 750GB (2) - Western Digital 1.5TB Green (2) - Western Digital 2TB Green - WINDy-Soldam MT-Pro 1700 - Antec Signature 850W- HP LP2475W (H-IPS) - Samsung 204B (TN) - Alienware Ozma 7 Headphones - Windows 7 Ultimate

Hammerhead Shark
    The mining is much better than driving around in the Mako, but still boring. If you have it for PC, there are a lot of saves online that you can download and import that may reflect the decisions you made.
    Current Rig: Q6600 @2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9700 | 6 GB Corsair XM2 DDR2 RAM @ 736 MHz | 2 x 150 GB Raptors Raid 0 | Asus Dark Knight 4870 512 MB | Gigabyte EP45-U3DL Motherboard | ASUS VW266H Panel | Lian Li PC-V1200Bplus

XBL Gamertag: Recursivity
    http://xclite.net

Now Playing: Left4Dead, Team Fortress 2, Killing Floor, Dawn of War 2

Quote Originally Posted by xclite View Post
    The mining is much better than driving around in the Mako, but still boring. If you have it for PC, there are a lot of saves online that you can download and import that may reflect the decisions you made.
    ugh... yeah, i spent like 4 hours just mining. i havent really had to do it since, for most of the game, but it feels like grinding in every other game
    the thing that pisses me off most is i'm running out of money and you cant mine gold
    Batou's evil twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    im a homosexual but i disliike obama for his non-*** policies
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Why don't you go pick up a case of AIDS.

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    have you tried playing ME1 on the PC? I find it more enjoyable then the 360 copy.
    I have to agree. I usually get a whole lot more out of games when I play them on the PC, this is especially true for Mass Effect 2. Have you played Mass Effect 3 yet, or are you giving it a bit of time?