Indigo Prophecy

Sharky Forums

Thread: Indigo Prophecy

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar

Indigo Prophecy

Indigo Prophecy was released in 2005 and was reviewed well by most larger gaming websites and magazines. This leads me to believe they did not finish the game, but more on that later.

Indigo Prophecy is unique in its field. By mashing many genres into one game, it loses its identity by trying to combine too many ideas into one. If we were talking about TV shows and movies this would be a X-Files, Matrix, Law and Order, and Exorcist all in one feature presentation. This *could* work but the team did not give the game enough length for anything to develop coherently. Actually, the end of the game is so convoluted and rushed that I believe they simply ran out of development time. For a story that needed to be 20+ hours, they compacted it into a 7-8 hour mad dash.

Which is a damn shame since the first two thirds of the game is excellent and has a great build up. All this comes crashing down in one sentence ("plot twist".) From here the entire story crumbles apart, from the laughable plot climax to the w-t-f relationship development.

If I scared you off of playing the game, I'm sorry. I think it is worth playing up until a certain point. The investigation is very rewarding. Playing both the murderer trying to hide evidence and the detectives trying to piece it together is a totally new and refreshing experience. There are some incredibly awesome action scenes that accompany a badass plot twist. The characters are very likeable and there are some raunchy sex scenes (for the Euro edition.)

As for gameplay... The character movement controls remind me of Resident Evil 2. The character is controlled by the WASD keys and the mouse controls the camera. To active certain items or perform certain moves, the mouse must be moved in various patterns shown on screen. When the action heats up, a mini-game of "simon says" pops up on the screen. Two sets of D-Pads show on screen and when a certain direction lights up the player must push the bound key in that direction. It can be very hard at times since the directions are lit in fast succession. This is nicely integrated into the screen show that the player never misses any of the action. The gameplay is surprisingly good for a game of this type.

If only the development team had more time or the writer wasn't a scattered brain **** then this game could have been extremely awesome. I can think of 10 different ways to take the story that would have been a hell of a lot better. I would have never come up with the ending they did in a thousand years. To top off the lousy ending, they play Theory of Deadman in the credits. A fitting end to a "could of been" game.

7/10
    Last edited by Timman_24; 02-07-2010 at 12:10 AM.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

I really liked the game a lot, outside of the storyline jumping off a cliff near the end. The diner part at the very beginning is one of the best things I've played in ANY game, EVER.

Heavy Rain, which is done by the same guys, comes out in a little under a month. Indigo Prophecy showed more than enough promise for me to get Heavy Rain day 1.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski View Post
    I really liked the game a lot, outside of the storyline jumping off a cliff near the end. The diner part at the very beginning is one of the best things I've played in ANY game, EVER.

Heavy Rain, which is done by the same guys, comes out in a little under a month. Indigo Prophecy showed more than enough promise for me to get Heavy Rain day 1.
    I agree. I was so damn impressed by the beginning of the game which made the ending piss me off! When I completed the first scene at the diner, I got up and called my brother. I had to tell him how awesome it was. I agree with you, that will be one of my most memorable gaming moments.

Heavy Rain does look nice, I will wait to see how it is reviewed first. Last thing I want is another "Dream Catcher" ending.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Played part way and then dropped this game for some reason. I was tempted to buy this during the Steam Sale but it was the censored Us version so I didn't.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Definitely worth a play, it's very unique. "Fahrenheit" is the original un-cut version. Indigo Prophecy is the American version. At least I think that's right...it's been a while. Could be the other way around =p - Been 4+ years since I played it I'm pretty sure.

Seems like there were maybe too many ideas to throw into one game, like you said. But, it does make for a fun unique gaming experience. Also the Sex scene is pretty damn funny.

Best to play with a dual analog controller, I used a PS2 controller on the PC version and it worked perfectly.
    Pages I liked that I found with StumbleUpon

My System:
    Intel E7200 Wolfdale Dual Core processor @ 3.4 ghz
    BFG Tech ES SERIES ES-800 800W Continuous Power supply
    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
    4GB Corsair DOMINATOR (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    22" CHIMEI CMV 221D-NBC Black LCD Monitor
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 video card
    Creative Labs X-fi
    Denon AH-D2000 Headphones w/Headsave Classic V2 Headphone Amp
    Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Played part way and then dropped this game for some reason. I was tempted to buy this during the Steam Sale but it was the censored Us version so I didn't.
    Eh, you don't miss but two extremely small awkward sex scenes that can be found on the internet. Who wants to see poorly rendered, badly animated pixel figures go at it anyway lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    Eh, you don't miss but two extremely small awkward sex scenes that can be found on the internet. Who wants to see poorly rendered, badly animated pixel figures go at it anyway lol?
    I'm one of those "I want the game as the creator intended" types. I know of course that some level of censorship goes on long before the game is ever released in the first place, but once I found out they cut content from the US release, even if it WAS two badly animated and awkward sex scenes I couldn't stand to get the censored version.

I only ended up purchasing a US version of The Witcher after finding out you can get back the censored stuff in that one via a simple patch. I don't believe that is the case with Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, at least it wasn't the case back when the game originally came out.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    I'm one of those "I want the game as the creator intended" types. I know of course that some level of censorship goes on long before the game is ever released in the first place, but once I found out they cut content from the US release, even if it WAS two badly animated and awkward sex scenes I couldn't stand to get the censored version.

I only ended up purchasing a US version of The Witcher after finding out you can get back the censored stuff in that one via a simple patch. I don't believe that is the case with Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, at least it wasn't the case back when the game originally came out.
    I'm the same way. It may be silly to others, but censorship really bothers me.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

You can get it out of the original indigo game, not the steam version though. If you get your hands on a retail version, all you have to do is change a 0 to a 1 in one of the system files.