Experience with Acer Laptops

Sharky Forums

Thread: Experience with Acer Laptops

Experience with Acer Laptops

Does anyone here have personal experience with Acer laptops? They seem to only come with a 1 year warranty and so I was wondering if that would be a concern. I am also considering Dell.

TIA.

After a year, most laptops depreciate more than the warranty is worth...

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook. Got it in Dec. 2008 and has been a charming little laptop for the family thus far...

Yep Acer's arent too bad.

Id prefer an Asus or Lenovo, but Acer is still pretty decent.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

theres honestly not a whole lot of difference in build quality between the difference brands along the same product lines... people mistakenly assume that all lenovos are tanks due to the thinkpad line but their ideapad line is not much different from your typical hp pavilion laptop.. same thing with HP, their business line is awesome stuff that compares favorably with dell's latitude line and thinkpads
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Quote Originally Posted by proxops-pete View Post
    After a year, most laptops depreciate more than the warranty is worth...
    Laptop value is irrelevant. What is relevant is the chance that a laptop will fail, vs the price to repair or replace that laptop.

Having said that, I think that the laptop warranty should be the first thing that you spend extra money on... it's more important than faster processor, more RAM, or a bigger hard drive. You should always buy a laptop warranty that will last as long as you think you will need it (I personally go with 3-year warranties).

It's tough to say whether your laptop will fail based on brand, because every brand has a chance of failure. It isn't important what brand you buy, but rather what your options are if you do run in to problems. So if you buy an Acer with a 1-year warranty and only expect to use that laptop for 1 year, then go for it. But if you need to use your laptop longer than that, and Acer only sells a 1-year warranty, then shop elsewhere.
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Alienware M11x R2 | Core i5 520UM | 4GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD | nVidia GeForce 335M GPU | 11.6" WLED Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 4.5lbs

Tiger Shark
    Nearly every laptop manufacturer (acually, all major laptop manufacturers that I can think of) offer a standard 1-year warranty; it's not just Acer. My experiences with Acer have been hit and miss. They usually have a sturdy build quality to their laptops, and for the most-part they have a good track record. However, I have seen a few more lines of theirs have issues than some of the other major manufacturers. Although you didn't mention Gateway, keep in mind that Acer owns them. So, if you're buying a Gateway, you're buying an Acer.
    Last edited by humanity; 09-28-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Where I live, every electronic device MUST have a minimum of 2-years of warranty, by law, so that includes Acer portables.

That said, the main concern when looking for a portable is not so much the build quality (as someone said, it's pretty even) but the customer support the brand has in your country... in my case, Acer and Asus are definite "avoid at all costs" brands, but HP is king, with Toshiba a close second.

It varies if you move elsewhere, though.
    Turn-Based Racing... you know you want it!
    http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?FYs

I have an ASUS G50VT and it kicks ***

Love it and tech support has bean great with 2 year international warranty, Free 2 way shipping in states I think

I get it that in your country they might be looked at differently...like over here accer isnt much

Quote Originally Posted by SE_Saga View Post
    Where I live, every electronic device MUST have a minimum of 2-years of warranty, by law, so that includes Acer portables.

That said, the main concern when looking for a portable is not so much the build quality (as someone said, it's pretty even) but the customer support the brand has in your country... in my case, Acer and Asus are definite "avoid at all costs" brands, but HP is king, with Toshiba a close second.

It varies if you move elsewhere, though.
    QX6700||Corsair XMS2 2X1024mb PC8500 @5.4.4.15 2.2v||Asus P5W DH||8800GTX||150gb Raptor+160gb hdisk||18x LG supermulti drive||Creative X-Fi Elite Pro||Gigaworks S750||Shure e3c||Samsung 244T||Logitech G15 Keyboard+MX1000||Vista ultimate 64bit||Antec Trio 650||stacker 830||

Head gear :- Sennheiser HD-650, Shure E3c's,
    Source :- PC X-FI Elite Pro, Creative ZEN VISION, 32GB Ipod Touch||