Minecraft, awesome one man game project - Page 29

Sharky Forums

Page 29 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Minecraft, awesome one man game project

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski View Post
    Aw hell, that reminds me that I walked over a hill playing late at night yesterday and most of the ground on the other side wasn't showing up, so I got to see the entire underground network of tunnels with lava and water and such (I mentioned this happening before, as did somebody else I think). I grabbed a great screencap, but forgot to paste it into paint before I shut down.
    I've got 1-2 of those that I can post later. At least one of them shows my lava-filled cavern.

I think it must happen (sometimes) when you walk across the boundaries between two areas and there's a little bit of lag loading the new one...I marked a spot on the big road with a dirt block on the side of the wall (and maybe it's still there?) exactly where I noticed it happening if you want to try to force it to happen. It's on the road somewhere between the colossus and the waterfall cavern turn, and I've always seen it while walking towards the base.

I'm not sure what you'd have to do to get it to "unload" the first area...maybe go to a 3rd area, then back through 2nd area to 1st? Or maybe stay in 2nd area for awhile until it decides you aren't going back soon?

Quote Originally Posted by linoleum View Post
    I've got 1-2 of those that I can post later. At least one of them shows my lava-filled cavern.

I think it must happen (sometimes) when you walk across the boundaries between two areas and there's a little bit of lag loading the new one...I marked a spot on the big road with a dirt block on the side of the wall (and maybe it's still there?) exactly where I noticed it happening if you want to try to force it to happen. It's on the road somewhere between the colossus and the waterfall cavern turn, and I've always seen it while walking towards the base.

I'm not sure what you'd have to do to get it to "unload" the first area...maybe go to a 3rd area, then back through 2nd area to 1st? Or maybe stay in 2nd area for awhile until it decides you aren't going back soon?
    It usually only happens to me for a short while before clearing up. Yesterday it stayed up indefinitely, though; I walked around the area just in case going directly over it would kill me (as I had a few items I wanted to keep). The whole thing was acting a bit choppy yesterday, though, so I'm not surprised to see that James reset it today.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Lava, like water, spawns from a source block, so once you find that it's just a matter of waiting for the slooooow flow to disappear.

However, unlike water, you can't create new lava source blocks; You're basically stuck with what you find. With water, all you have to do is make a 3x1 trough with source blocks on each end and the middle block becomes an infinitely renewable source of source blocks. So, once you find a source in lava, you've killed that individual flow; water can be harder to deal with since there could be sources near each other endlessly generating a new one but you can't really visually tell which is which.

Aw hell, that reminds me that I walked over a hill playing late at night yesterday and most of the ground on the other side wasn't showing up, so I got to see the entire underground network of tunnels with lava and water and such (I mentioned this happening before, as did somebody else I think). I grabbed a great screencap, but forgot to paste it into paint before I shut down.
    It seemed like he had a bunch of source blocks because on one stream I had to literally cover the entire thing with dirt blocks to get rid of it.
    ...WAIT FOR IT

It usually only happens to me for a short while before clearing up. Yesterday it stayed up indefinitely, though; I walked around the area just in case going directly over it would kill me (as I had a few items I wanted to keep). The whole thing was acting a bit choppy yesterday, though, so I'm not surprised to see that James reset it today.
    I had that happen once where the blocks would just not disappear in a specific area - any of the blocks next to this area could be mined though. I wasn't near the bottom of the map or even out of our relative main area. Very odd.
    ...WAIT FOR IT

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    admins can creats source and flow blocks. if you want, i can setup a lava source pit and refill as needed
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    admins can creats source and flow blocks. if you want, i can setup a lava source pit and refill as needed
    I'm kind of confused at this point as to what you guys mean when you say source blocks, and have been since Kama mentioned keeping some in a chest. If you mean just a normal one like the kind we can find in the wild, that wouldn't really help, since we can't place them yet. Is there some kind of "lava source" item that you can have in your inventory without a bucket that gets placed like normal?

I had assumed previously that whoever made the lava on Adisharr's building did a normal "point at block, spawn lava immediately" type deal like you can do in the console in most FPS games, but that still wouldn't be something you could carry around.

At any rate, just having an unlimited supply sitting there for the taking kind of takes the fun out of exploring. TNT is okay, since we have monsters turned off and no other way to get it; while non-admins currently can't place lava out of a bucket like normal, that may be fixed as of the Saturday update.

I guess I'd say either wait for the update to see if lava is fixed (and if it isn't, THEN create the pit) or create the pit now but destroy it if normal lava is fixed on Saturday.

It's a block that looks like flowing lava and when placed, spawns a lava source. It works the same as every other thing in the game in that it can be stacked, stored in boxes, dropped, etc, but it doesn't occur naturally.

James - If the Sunday patch is a magic multiplayer fix that adds damage, monsters and all that good stuff, could you please start a second server on a different port with all that enabled so we can have a persistent survival environment?

I love the danger that comes from single player Minecraft. The need to dig and find ore, the need to protect yourself at night and the constant threat of being murdered. So good.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    James - If the Sunday patch is a magic multiplayer fix that adds damage, monsters and all that good stuff, could you please start a second server on a different port with all that enabled so we can have a persistent survival environment?

I love the danger that comes from single player Minecraft. The need to dig and find ore, the need to protect yourself at night and the constant threat of being murdered. So good.
    If we do that, then we should probably also dis-allow spawning materials in the new server as well. But I'm all for it no matter what. Single player fun in a multiplayer environment, yes please.

*Edit: Apparently once the java server has consumed RAM, it won't free it until it's stopped.
    Spoiler
    Last edited by James; 10-26-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

If he can't/won't, I'm thinking of starting my own, but that is dependent on being able to fix my old computer. Adding/removing network cards doesn't seem to work, so what I'm probably going to do this weekend is reinstall Windows and see if that works; barring that, I have an even OLDER comp that may work but I'd have to look up the stats.

All of this, of course, assuming I even have time to do it. Have two tests coming up next week to study for.
    Last edited by monroeski; 10-26-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    If we do that, then we should probably also dis-allow spawning materials in the new server as well. But I'm all for it no matter what. Single player fun in a multiplayer environment, yes please.
    I agree completely. No /gives on the survival server.

I was thinking all this TNT + lava was a pretty good sign that we were going to start a new map this weekend (after update)...At the rate it's going, I'm not sure the current world is going to last that long even.

And I'm also for the resource "lockdown" and/or a separate server where people can still get any materials just for experimental / large-scale building.

Great White Shark
    I was thinking all this TNT + lava was a pretty good sign that we were going to start a new map this weekend (after update)...At the rate it's going, I'm not sure the current world is going to last that long even.

And I'm also for the resource "lockdown" and/or a separate server where people can still get any materials just for experimental / large-scale building.
    I think the existing server will be qualified as our "creative" server.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I agree completely. No /gives on the survival server.
    Is it possible to turn off /iron and /wood as well? Or maybe there will there be a new server to go with the new update that removes them anyway?

Is it possible to turn off /iron and /wood as well? Or maybe there will there be a new server to go with the new update that removes them anyway?
    As long as you're not an admin you shouldn't be able to do that... at least I don't think. If not, time to check out mods.