Minecraft, awesome one man game project - Page 125

Sharky Forums

Page 125 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 1930

Thread: Minecraft, awesome one man game project

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Question is.... Will people reflexively rebel against Minecraft because it is now owned by microsoft? Will we start seeing in game ads? Will anything change at all?
    I doubt we'll see any change to Minecraft proper. No doubt Minecraft 2 is on the way, though.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Most of what I've read indicates MS is more after the Minecraft user base then the game franchise itself.

Minecraft 2 will of course be a PC and Xbox exclusive with special Halo, Gears of War, and Forza content.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Most of what I've read indicates MS is more after the Minecraft user base then the game franchise itself.

Minecraft 2 will of course be a PC and Xbox exclusive with special Halo, Gears of War, and Forza content.
    Forza content in Minecraft would be amazing. I would love to drive a Lamborghini around that blocky world.
    Halo content already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue to put Minecraft out there on every platform they can. Tycho from Penny Arcade put it pretty well (emphasis mine) -

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    Two billion dollars, the number they’re throwing around, isn’t really money anymore. It has a Dynastic quality. Two billion dollars might as well be The Spice they talk about in Dune. I would love to have that! I know exactly what I’d do. But it’s only partially the Product that is being purchased, only partly the growing services platform. If you don’t hang around with Children Of A Certain Age, you might not know exactly what is being bought here. They’re functionally purchasing a generation. Two billion dollars starts to look like a steal.

People are worried that this means Minecraft won’t exist anywhere but the PC or the Xbox, which is reasonable I think, but everyone who would be making those kinds of decisions over there is still relatively new to their job. They’re in a position to show that This Is A Different Microsoft than the monolithic, witless Ettin that crashed around in The Nineties and what are sometimes called The Oughts. I think that Sun Tzu would say that True Victory means being indispensable on your competitor’s platforms. It’s completely possible to do this right, if they want to.
    Last edited by monroeski; 09-17-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue to put Minecraft out there on every platform they can. Tycho from Penny Arcade put it pretty well (emphasis mine) -
    I have no doubt in my mind that MS will continue to update Minecraft for other systems. In fact, I would argue that updates will become more frequent and eventually be accompanied by DLC "theme packs" that include pre-generated content and maybe even new game mechanics copied from existing PC mods.

I believe its successor, however, will mostly like be a MS console exclusive at least for a few months.
    Last edited by taggart6; 09-17-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Microsoft hasn't had a device selling title in quite some time. Minecraft is (supposed to be) that title. It makes sense, but I don't know if lighting can strike twice with Minecraft. Clearly Nadella thinks it can.

The real question is, in 18 months will Minecraft be able to sell phones, consoles and tablets to a under 30 audience. I think it's possible. Even if Minecraft and Mojang continue to develop cross platform, simply having them on Microsoft technologies first will be a huge win. If it gets a younger audience to start really considering Surface or Windows Phone it could be the smartest acquisition Microsoft has made in a decade.

IMHO, Minecraft 2 will most likely be a blend of Minecraft 1 and something like PlayStation home. A centralized digital meeting place linked to your console account where you can do Minecraft "things" as MS advertises directly to you. It'll be a free service that requires a gold account and a majority of the game updates will be linked to new game IPs and advertisers.

It will most likely fail if MS is unable to prevent the move to a centralized and monitored environment from killing the freedom and flexibility users currently have with private servers.
    Last edited by taggart6; 09-20-2014 at 10:36 PM.

I bought the XBox One version of Minecraft last week. Playing that game from my couch is extremely relaxing.

I'm not sure if it's different on console or if I just have some settings tweaked in a weird way on PC, but the XBO version has music constantly playing and on PC I only hear music kick in every 15 minutes or so where it will play one song then go silent for a while. I'm also hearing a bunch of songs that I've never heard on the PC version and I love them.

Heads Up: The Windows 10 version is in BETA and is free to anyone with the traditional Java Minecraft. Even if you don't have Windows 10 you should register your free version since it may not be free when it is officially released. The BETA version is currently a nerfed version of the game, but features will be added slowly and probably will be the definitive version in the future.

Instructions for redeeming free version:
    https://mojang.com/2015/07/get-minec...beta-for-free/

Thanks for the heads up!

Expensive Sushi
    James,

I know the MC part of the server doesn't get many hits nowadays, but I am hoping that you don't mind taking a look at it. It appears to be down at the moment.

Thanks.

Great White Shark
    Back up and running with server v1.8.8.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetnessWP View Post
    James,

I know the MC part of the server doesn't get many hits nowadays, but I am hoping that you don't mind taking a look at it. It appears to be down at the moment.

Thanks.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Expensive Sushi
    Thanks, James!

Expensive Sushi
    I appear to have broken the server....my bad

Great White Shark
    Just a heads up: I will be turning off the google maps api render of the minecraft world. We have done enough exploring that rendering the world now requires more disk space than I have on the server.

Sorry guys.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64