D-Link DIR-624 not assigning IP address for wireless

Sharky Forums

Thread: D-Link DIR-624 not assigning IP address for wireless

Expensive Sushi

D-Link DIR-624 not assigning IP address for wireless

I've had a D-Link DIR-628 since last year and it has worked swimmingly. This past week, after I reinstalled WinXP Pro on one of my computers
    , none of my wireless connections worked. I've rebooted the router, reset it to factory defaults, and made sure the WPA2 settings match on all of the boxes. Nothing, na-da, zilch. My wireless boxes include a laptop running Win7/32 Home Premium, a netbook running Win7 Crippled, I mean Starter, and a desktop dual booting to WinXP Pro and Ubuntu 10.04. Direct connections via Cat 5e cable work fine. The only changes I made to the defaults on the router were the security type when I was trying to Ubuntu to work with a usb wireless adapter. At that time I set the router to WEP as one forum said WPA2 could cause problems. Anyway, everything worked fine until this past week. IT was today when I rest the router to factory defaults and WPA2. I'm sooo confuused.
    I know enuff to be dangerous!

Great White Shark
    Re-evaluate the security settings and pass phrases to make sure they match the router's configuration.

Expensive Sushi
    Actually I've already done that. Same security (WPA2-Personal) same preshared key, same password.

Great White Shark
    What are the DHCP settings in the router?
    Are there open IP addresses to assign?
    Can you ping the router's private IP address?
    Does the router work properly using a wired connection?

After you have reset your router assign all the computers in your house a static IP assigned by mac, leave dhcp turned on for all other connections ....

Then one by one, delete a computers static assignment and try to get a dhcp connection. You may find it is one computer which has damaged system files and cant obtain a dhcp connection.

Ive had a similar thing happen before. That one PC that couldnt connect to the router properly and refused to work on the dhcp address given was a headache, showed as connected but stopped other PC's working ...

At least it rules out any PC related problems as occassionaly a rogue unit can cause problems ....

If you still have problems thereafter, then you know its just the router config or the hardware, more likely the hardware since you've checked the configuration ...

Another thing to try afterwards may be a firmware flash/update .. Sometimes does the trick, sometimes causes more problems ....
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Expensive Sushi
    This is somewhat embarassking. The router has 2 passwords. One is the preshared network security key, the other the admin key. I keep forgetting which to use. I swapped the admin key I had entered on the clients with the preshared key and now all is right with the world. At least my small wireless world. Now let's see if I get Ubuntu to hook up. Thanks to one and all.